??? Attracting Minnows ???

Old June 5th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Mike

Default ??? Attracting Minnows ??? A Follow Up Question...>>>

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I want to catch minnows for live bait fishing when I take my kids out.
Also, old farts and friends who really don't have the skills to spend a

day
flipping heavy cover in the current.

Attracting to draw bigger fish would backfire on me as i fisha a lot of
tournaments in the area, and no hot spot goes unknown for very long.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index

"Marty S." wrote in message
Ok.. here's my question from this post....

Are you trying to attract the minnows to catch them to use them as bait?
Or are you trying to attract the minnows into your fishing area so that

the
larger fish will follow the minnows and, hopefully, onto your hook?

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
What is the best way to attract minnows for bait. I have a throw net,

and
that works pretty well for catching them in water less than 5 feet

deep
when
you know they are there, but that isn't always the case, and of course

if
they are running through the weeds or brush it doesn't work at all.

I just bought a couple cage type minnow traps. How can you attract

them
minnow traps so you can catch them more consistantly? In the past I

never
had any really great luck with minnow traps.

What baits do you use for them?

Mostly around here threadfin shad is the predominant bait fish

followed
by
red shiners, and small sunfish and tilapia.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index
www.YumaBassMan.com

I have caught bait with hook and line the trick is to use the smallest
hook you can get maybe a #12 would work a salmon egg hook seems to help
because the shank is smaller try to put a tiny bit of bait on the hook
because they pick off bigger peices

Old June 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Fishboy

This is how I catch bait on lanier in Ga. I've been catching 20 to 30
bass everyday for the last couple of weeks. This may not work on your
lake but check it out anyways and see what you think.
http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/articles/T176.htm
Old June 5th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Allen

Why are you busting the old farts or "you have friends ?"
whom you " assume ", don't have the skills to go flipping..
and."You" don't even know how to catch minnows ! Give everyone
a break, take a old fart or someone who is good @ fishing,
and he can show you ,"Mr. Flipping Know it All" how to
catch bait (minnows...) and save the bandwidth for those who
know how to fish,.or at least don't put people down since they
don't "flip" as good as you think they should.
Allen @ http://sea4two.net

Old June 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Bob Rickard

That is the seed for a great idea: take a Rugrat and an Old Fart fishing
today! Do this every once in a while, and you will probably better
appreciate fishing alone.

Old Fart First Class,
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

. ..

Old June 6th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Bob La Londe

Assume? Now what make you think I haven't already taken a lot of those self
same people fishing, and learned from experience what their limitations are.
I am always pressuring people to share the fishing experience. It is good
for the sport as a whole. However I simply do not have the patience to deal
with snag after snag after backlash after snarl from my fishing partner when
I am trying to fish.

As to not being able to catch minnows. That simply is not true. As with
many people I was trying to improve on ym knowledge and skills. I am pretty
good with a throw net, but there are times when it just doesn't work. In
addition on the river I have to be very careful to only use it on the
Arizona side as throw nets are not legal to use on the California side of
the river.

Do you have something productive to suggest or did you just decide you
wanted to complain about something?

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index
www.YumaBassMan.com

. ..

Old June 7th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Allen

I wasn't saying you couldn't catch minnows but if that is a problem for you
so be it.
I was just busting the guy for using old farts and people who can't fish his
style....
as a excuse for asking about something that should be a fundamental subject
of fishing.
that most any good fisherman should know.
I learned how to catch bait by hands on, watching other fishermen, and
reading
100's of Sports Afields, Outdoor life, Infishermen, Fishing Facts.
I catch bait.by using round tube traps, on mud minnows in the saltmarsh,
square traps for pig fish in Fla., minnow seines for dipping in small
streams, 4ft by 4ft umbrella nets
for shiners in the Susquehanna using bread balls for bait., Cast nets with a
14 ft radius yes that's
28 ft across for finger mullet.down here on the flats in Florida. I have
caught pinfish and pigfish,
suckers,worms-night crawlers, fiddler crabs, crayfish, sandfleas, crickets,
raised mealworms...
I all see are people who ask dumb questions about something you should know
or write one liners so they can post their web site... If I see someone who
has a fishing question
....a real question... not about should I put" Power Pro" on my Zebco 33 to
fish for tarpon offshore.
I give them a straight forward answer, I don't buy or push "upscale"
products just to show others
"what is hot" and "I got it". Just like a fellow asking about what line
should use for a old penn ...
"he asked should I get Power Pro to fish for whiting and Pompano" and 10
people thought he should
If I take someone out fishing, I set them up, supply the bait/lures and help
them catch fish. If they
don't have a clue I keep it simple. But I don't write the news groups ... Hi
I have a dummy
or a old fart I want to take fishing "How do I catch shiners ?" Don't ask
questions just so
you can tell everyone the answer......

Allen @ http://sea4two.net

..not throw castnets over them

[...]

. ..

Old June 7th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Bob La Londe

Look at the original post. It was just a satright forward question.
Obviously you just wanted to bust somebody's chops yourself.

Here is your statement:
"."You" don't even know how to catch minnows"

My own comment about old farts or friend was in response to somebody else's
question. It was not any part of my own original question.

I don't know why you have such an attitude on this subject. What is your
problem? It clearly is not what you stated it was.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index
www.YumaBassMan.com

"Allen" wrote in message
news
[...]

. ..

Old June 13th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Robin Shortt

I always use bread crusts to bait the trap with. It works quite well.
Robin Shortt
Ontario Canada
"bill allemann" wrote in message
m...
Bob,
Around here (St. Louis) wire traps catch almost nothing. A big

improvement
is to
use glass traps, or (much cheaper) you can make one out of those big

clear
acrylic
jars that pretzels come in at Sam's Club. A high degree of transparency
seems to
be the key.
Bill Allemann

Old June 13th, 2004, 04:20 AM
hillbilly3302

I find just old saltine crackers hard to beat in a wire minnow trap....

--
drc
Table Rock Lake

catfood, oatmeal works well in traps