anchor question...>>>

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Don White

Default attaching chain

"Bowgus" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
And before you stretch out for a snooze ... connect the rope to the boat.

That's why they call it the 'bitter end'.

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:18 AM
BEAU

what good would would it do to attach both rope & chain to the anchor?
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
"Sierra fisher" wrote in message

Stupid question: Do you attach the rope to the chain and the chain to

the
anchor OR attach both the rope and chain to the anchor, ie, chain is

not
attached to rope?

Not a stupid question at all. Attach the chain to the anchor, the rope

the chain. Bingo, now you're in business.

The other question is HOW to attach the rope to the chain and the chain
to the anchor...just tying it on is not the recommended method.

Splice a thimble into end of the rope (or, if you don't know how and
don't want to learn how, you can buy anchor line with a thimble already
spliced into one end)...use shackles to attach the chain to the rope
and to the anchor.

--
Peggie
----------

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Pepperoni

"BEAU" wrote in message
what good would would it do to attach both rope & chain to the anchor?

Not a real good followup, but:

Some folks attach a stout bungee to the rope in such a way as to cushion the
wave action. The rope appears to have a slack loop at rest, but it snugs
up when the bungee is stretched. The weight of the anchor is enough to
stretch the bungee, so it rolls right through the front roller.

It supposedly helps keep the anchor in place on a short rope when the water
skiers get the bow to bouncing. An old bait fisherman's trick.

Pepperoni

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Sierra fisher

I have a pontoon boat, and had this anchoring problem this week on the
American River. My boat has a rear deck that is just a foot or so off of
the water. Below it is a pulley for the anchor.
Without the chain, I pull the anchor up to the pulley and out of the water.
With the chain in the line, my anchor will be suspended in the water a
little less than the length of the chain.
If I could find a heavy ball, maybe 3" in diameter, and attach it just above
the anchor, it might pull the anchor over. Then my anchor would be
suspended just at the water level.
What if this ball, or perhaps a diving weight, was attached via a ring that
could slide up and down the rope?
--

..

Old June 13th, 2004, 03:35 AM
daytripper

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 17:51:47 -0700, "Sierra fisher"
wrote:

I have a pontoon boat, and had this anchoring problem this week on the
American River. My boat has a rear deck that is just a foot or so off of
the water. Below it is a pulley for the anchor.
Without the chain, I pull the anchor up to the pulley and out of the water.
With the chain in the line, my anchor will be suspended in the water a
little less than the length of the chain.
If I could find a heavy ball, maybe 3" in diameter, and attach it just above
the anchor, it might pull the anchor over. Then my anchor would be
suspended just at the water level.
What if this ball, or perhaps a diving weight, was attached via a ring that
could slide up and down the rope?

There's more to having a chain on your rode than just getting the anchor to
tip over - in fact that's not even the best reason. The primary point of the
chain is to flatten the effective pull angle through the weight and length of
the anchor chain. That improves the holding power of most anchors, which in
turn allows a shorter rode.

A ball weight placed near the anchor will not be as effective...
Old June 13th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Peggie Hall

BEAU wrote:
what good would would it do to attach both rope & chain to the anchor?

I thought it would obvious to anyone following this discussion that one
end of the chain attaches to the rope, the other end of the chain to the
anchor. Apparently I was wrong...

Peggie Hall

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

Old June 13th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Charles T. Low

I think the thing that what we're not following might be this:

It seems to me that he (Sierra Fisher) possibly has some sort of a system
whereby a pulley in this rode management system won't admit chain, so he
can't get the chain to come up through it when weighing anchor. He might be
thinking that he wants the weight of chain but it doesn't work in his
(somewhat unorthodox) system, so is wondering about a sliding weight - a
"kellet."

If that interpretation of his message is correct (is it?), then i) a kellet
should help, but won't replace all the functions of chain (which does more
than just add weight - abrasion protection being one other important
factor), ii) the kellet shackle itself might abrade on the line where it
attaches, if he used the sliding system he describes.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

.

Old June 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Charles T. Low

How do you know that?

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
AND, (Very Important) - Safety wire the shackle pins, or use a small
nylon wire tie to accomplish the same thing. It's absolutely amazing
how fast wave action can back out a shackle pin if its not secured in
some way.

Don't ask me how I know this...

Old June 13th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Charles T. Low

Good point. We might add that Bowgus means to attach the bitter end, not
just "the rope," which will also of course be cleated or otherwise secured
somewhere along its length.

====

Old June 13th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Charles T. Low

Sierra fisher might have been wondering if the chain had any other functions
than simply adding dead weight. By now he will know...

(If that's all chain did, one could simply use a bigger anchor to achieve
similar results.)

====