anchor question...>>>

Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:20 AM
John H

Default anchor question...>>>

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:36:04 GMT, daytripper wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:53:45 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Don White wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

VERY IMPORTANT TIP KNOWN BY ALL REAL SEAMEN:

Use an anchor rope that is three times your depth. Otherwise your boat
keeps picking up the anchor and dropping a short distance away.

You're welcome.

Steve

Three times...?? only under the best of conditions. 5:1 would be better
but you should be prepared to let out a 7:1 ratio is anchored in stormy or
rough conditions.

This really depends on the circumstances, fellas. When I'm fishing, I
rarely let out more than 2-1, and sometimes less, depending upon depth,
current, wind, proximity of hard objects, et cetera. In really shallow
water, I might only have the chain and a few feet of anchor rope out.

Winning answer to "How do you know when you're fishing in your own bathtub?"

;-)

You reckon Harry plays with 'hard objects' in his bathtub?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:36 AM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

If I remember right it's 7 to 1 according my Enlisted Surface Warfare test (U S Navy). A little help here please Huck. Doc

"daytripper" wrote in message news On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:24:47 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Marty S." wrote in message
Question... for a small jon boat on a reservoir (I'm in Maryland, and I
fish on Liberty Reservoir, for those of you familiar with this area), what
type of anchor would be best? I presently have a small "mushroom" anchor

(8
lbs, I think) but it doesn't hold the boat in place -- I tend to drift.

Any
suggestions? I think the bottom is mostly mud but I'm not exactly sure.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

VERY IMPORTANT TIP KNOWN BY ALL REAL SEAMEN:

Use an anchor rope that is three times your depth. Otherwise your boat
keeps picking up the anchor and dropping a short distance away.

You're welcome.

Those aren't "Real Seamen" - those are "Freshwater Seamen".

*Real Seamen* always carry enough rope to do 5 to 1 or better...

Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:00 AM
SteveB

"Doc (The Tin Boat King)" wrote in message
If I remember right it's 7 to 1 according my Enlisted Surface Warfare test

(U S Navy). A little help here please Huck. Doc

I have had experience at sea, spending time on boats and barges in the Gulf
of Mexico during the oilfield boom days. Having said that, the ratio of
length to depth on anchor ropes will vary much. In inland waters,
particularly shallow water, a 1+:1 ratio is sufficient. That is, just
having the rope longer than the depth. If the water is deeper, the ratio
increases. As sea/water conditions get rougher, the ratio increases. As
the gross weight of the vessel increases, the ratio increases.

So, we can only talk in generalities. One anchor on one length of line
might hold well in one location, and not well in another due to differences
in bottom. Lots and lots of variables.

And then there's sea anchors, but I digress .....................

3:1 is a general starting point, and it goes from there. Whatever floats
yer boat ............... or .............

Whatever keeps your boat from floating ..................... away

Steve

Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"SteveB" wrote in message SNIP

3:1 is a general starting point, and it goes from there. Whatever floats
yer boat ............... or .............

Whatever keeps your boat from floating ..................... away

If I need more than 3:1 to keep my boat steady, I'm either going to be on
the trolling motor, or I'll find a different place to fish.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Harry Krause

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message SNIP

3:1 is a general starting point, and it goes from there. Whatever floats
yer boat ............... or .............

Whatever keeps your boat from floating ..................... away

If I need more than 3:1 to keep my boat steady, I'm either going to be on
the trolling motor, or I'll find a different place to fish.

As I previously stated, if you're a fisherman, the amount of scope you
use depends upon depth of water, current, wind, proximity to other
objects, et cetera. I've anchored my boat with a couple of feet of line
under some circumstances, and it was in no danger of drifting off...
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:16 PM
SteveB

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message SNIP

3:1 is a general starting point, and it goes from there. Whatever

floats

Whatever keeps your boat from floating ..................... away

If I need more than 3:1 to keep my boat steady, I'm either going to be on
the trolling motor, or I'll find a different place to fish.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

You see, the solutions are endless.

Steve ;-)