what rod for spinnerbaits

Old January 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM
theotherBob

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
news:MpQJd.63887$Tf5.48042@lakeread03...
Yeah I guess I shouldn't make conclusions if I have never tried it. I

tend
to use shorter rods my largest is a 6'6" Avid but I use it for worms and
jigging. I usually stick to rods closer to 6 foot. I guess it is just a
matter of practice.

Might just be inertia in action. After all, what did most of our daddy's and
granddaddy's use and have available? My grandfather considered a 6 footer to
be to long for most applications (Walleye and Northern), just a specialty
rod length for a very precise set of circumstances. And back when I was just
a fingerling, my dad thought the same way about the 6 1/2 footers! Though he
now has a decent selection of rods 7'+ that I can purloin when we are
fishing together.

As SimRacer pointed out, there just might be good cause to consider a rod in
the 6' to 6'6" range for pinpoint casting "under" obstructions. But I have
to go along with Steve here and recommend the 7' rods as this length does
have many benefits, most connected to leverage both in casting (remembering
that spinnerbaits put up a lot of air drag), retrieving and (most
importantly :-) fighting that big ol' Hawg!

With that said, I have to add that I do not even own a 7'+ (see note
above!), and I do very little fishing with spinnerbaits. Just tie one on to
whatever rod I have with and give them a try. Usually something in the
6'3"-6'6" range.

Bob
Who is wearing the ink off the pages of his BassPro catalogue while waiting
for the ice to go out in Wisconsin :-D

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Calif Bill

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
I have tried the pistol grip but did not like the hook set when using it.
It is in my garage somewhere catching dust. I only used it a few times

but
didn't really like it. Thanks for the advice though much appreciated.
"SimRacer" wrote in message
. com...

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
I just purchased a curado reel and I am looking to team it with a rod

throw spinnerbaits. I am looking to spend up to 125.00 for a rod to

go
with
it. Any recommendations?

Steve has already given you the bulk of the advice I would've given you

(and
IMO, is a ton more credible than I anyway) but think about this too:

Was watching an older Hank Parker Outdoors episode a few nights ago and

he,
like me, also favors keeping a shorter pistol grip casting rod in the

boat
for casting spinnerbaits with. You can do that "roll cast" type low

slung
cast with these short (and often more limber) rods and skip them under
brush, docks, what have you. In other words a more low trajectory cast,

that
litteraly skins across or just above the water. Granted, he gave this
schpeel while at Lake El Salto, and said in THAT case, go with longer
(6.5-7-7.5) casting rods for their leverage, and that's what is needed

in
heavy cover/submerged cover like El Salto apparently has an abundance

of.

So it depends on what applications you have in mind for it, but you may

want
to consider a pistol grip, shorter rod in addition to the trigger sticks
that Steve pointed you to (as I think they're great rods also). I

currently
only have one pistol grip in my collection, but it is fairly nice, and I
recommend it highly to anyone not making a living catching fish...here

it
is
@ Cabelas, you may find it other places as well:

http://tinyurl.com/5mw28

It is the top one in the list, model GC56M - $99.95 list price.

Randy Pringle, local guide and pro always has pistol grip rod rigged and
handy. He says is the one he uses to get under low docks and low hanging
trees. The side arm low to the water cast.
Bill

Old January 26th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Olebiker

My experience with spinnerbaits is that most casts are fairly short and
require pretty good accuracy since I am normally casting to visible
cover. For that reason, I have never used anything longer than 6 feet
and prefer short handles. I can make repeated underhand or roll casts
and cover a lot of territory.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Thundercat

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:57:39 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
What are the benefits of using the 7 foot rod over the others?

I like the way 7 foot rods cast, if I want to cover a lot of water in a
hurry, I can really launch a spinnerbait waaaaay out there. I also believe
that because the "swing radius" is larger, that you're moving more line on a
hookset, thus getting better hooksets. I also like the way I can control a
fish on a longer rod.

But much of this is subjective and personal preference/beliefs. That's why
I gave you three to choose from. Head to your closest St. Croix dealer and
check them out for yourself. YOU decide which on you prefer, afterall,
you're footing the bill.

I am also of the 7' spinnerbait rod school. Distance, leverage, fish
control; and as for accuracy in tight, over, under or through cover,
simply pitching or skip-pitching will get you right where you want to
be. Also a rod like the one Steve described (and built for me
*shameless plug*) is phenomenal for ripping a spinnerbit through some
of the weediest cover that a less stout rod would have trouble with.

Harry J aka Thundercat
Brooklyn Bill's Tackle Shop Fishing Team
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com
Share the knowledge, compete on execution.
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:09 PM
SimRacer

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
I have tried the pistol grip but did not like the hook set when using it.
It is in my garage somewhere catching dust. I only used it a few times

but
didn't really like it. Thanks for the advice though much appreciated.

Cool then. I just grew up on pistol gripped roads, so keeping one around now
is both useful and nostalgic. Thought it was both cool and somewhat
supportive of my train of thought on them when a guy like Hank Parker kinda
sees that rod-type, and its use(s), the same way I do. Then again, he and I
are both North Carolinians, so maybe it's a regional thing...

I don't think you can go wrong with any of Steve's suggestions, and G.
Loomis also makes some nice rods, non-pistol grip style, that they even bill
as "spinnerbait" rods. If you still are stumped in a little bit, look into
custom rods, I ordered my very first "custom" rod a couple of weeks ago at
the annual boat and fishing show here in Raleigh. Then you can get the
length, weight, action, finish, blank makeup, guides and so on, that "you"
want, exactly and not "close enough". And I also found talking to the actual
rodmaker to be an invaluable resource about what to look for in regard to
the various bait usage and casting styles.

Here's the fella I ordered mine from:

http://www.custombassrods.com/

IIRC, he has a "spinnerbait" rod as well. Nice folks, as are most rodmakers
if I had to guess. If you've got $200+ to put into one, I'd at least look at
customs too, just for the knowledge of "what a rod really is" if nothing
else. Opened my eyes up, that's for sure.

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. com...

Old January 26th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"SimRacer" wrote in messageSNIP

That was what Hank was describing during his show if I took it correctly,
he
simlpy called it a "roll cast" meaning to him that you roll your wrist and
fire the lure just above water height, straight under any cover. Works for
me.

With a little practice, you can do the same thing with a longer rod. I do
this all the time with my 7'10" and get lures up underneath docks and
overhanging branches. A pistol grip or short handled rod wears me out.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 27th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Bob Rickard

What in the world is a "spinnerbait rod?" Our conpany alone has three sizes
of spinnerbaits on the market as we speak (3/16 oz., 3/8 oz. and 1/2 oz.).
We have finished designs and finished molds for three more sizes (1/8 oz.,
5/8 oz. and 7/8 oz.), and some of them may hit the market later this year.
All of these could be called "Bass" lures. We also have finished, working
prototypes a 1-1/2 oz. spinnerbair primarily intended for use on Musky & big
Northern Pike. Some patterns & configurations are intended for shallow use,
some deep, some fast, some slow, blah, blah, blah.

At one time or another, every rod I owned except my fly rods have been
properly used for spinnerbaits, from 5-1/2' light spinning rods to 6-1/2'
heavy worm rods to 7' glass-tipped cranking rods to 7-1/2' flipping sticks.

Again, what in the world is a spinnerbait rod?

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. com...

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
[...]

"SimRacer" wrote in message
. com...

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Brad Coovert

I have three rods for most of my spinnerbiat fishing.

7' Esox BG for covering water with long casts
6'6" Esox BN for more target type fishing and shorter casts
5'6" Esox CE for accurate, short casting situations

All of these blanks are rated MH power, Fast action, rated for 10-17
lb. line and and 5/16 - 3/4 oz. baits. Most of my fishing is 1/4oz.
through 1/2 oz. baits and all three rods do the job nicely.

For little baits under 1/4 oz., I will drop down to a lighter action
6'6" Medium Esox BQ.

For big baits, like the hefty 1 1/2 oz. or bigger baits (they do cover
deep water really well) , I will step up to a 7'6" Esox BI, which is
usually my Crig rod.

If you're going to stay in the 1/4oz. to 1/2oz. range, you will
probably do well with a 6'6" MH power/Fast Action rod. Just watch when
you compare rods. One manufacturer's MH may be another company's
Medium.

Good luck!

Brad Coovert
2005 Tournament Director, Greenfield Bassmasters
www.greenfieldbassmasters.com
Esox Rods - Handmade In The USA
"For The Toughest Fishing Out There!"

Old January 27th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

I can attest to the fact that the Avid's are outstanding production made
rods. I own about 5 of them in 7' Med..

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
> [...]
I just purchased a curado reel and I am looking to team it with a rod to
throw spinnerbaits. I am looking to spend up to 125.00 for a rod to go
with
it. Any recommendations?

I like to use 7 foot (or longer) rods for most of my fishing, but some
people don't. In your price range you might want to consider looking at

the
St. Croix Avid series of rods. While slightly higher than your budget, I
feel for a factory rod, these are pretty darned good. There's three of

them
you might want to check out and pick from.

AC66MF - 6'6" medium power, fast action line 10-17 lures 1/4-3/4

AC69MLXF - 6'9" medium light power, extra fast action line 12-25 lures
1/8-1/2

AC70MHXF - 7' medium heavy power, extra fast action line 10-17 lures

1/4-3/4

The last is very similar to what I use for my spinnerbaiting and it's a
great rod to match with a Curado.

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
SimRacer

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

A rod that has been dubbed a "spinnerbait" rod by it's manufacturer is the
best I can tell.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

[...]