Didymo

Old September 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

Default Didymo

Long time lurker surfaces to ask a question.

Any one familiar with Didymo?

There are several tailwaters in the Southeast where I fish that have been
invaded and there does not seem to be much concern about it.

I've googled it and gotten the basic info which is this is an invasive algae
that threatens a lot of insect life in trout water.

Has there been discussion in this group that I have missed?

Thanks,

Patrick

Old September 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"PRM" wrote in message
. ..
Long time lurker surfaces to ask a question.

Any one familiar with Didymo?

There are several tailwaters in the Southeast where I fish that have been
invaded and there does not seem to be much concern about it.

I've googled it and gotten the basic info which is this is an invasive
algae that threatens a lot of insect life in trout water.

Has there been discussion in this group that I have missed?

Never heard of it. To the best of my recollection there's been no previous
mention of it here. How's about you give us a summary?

Wolfgang

Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"PRM" wrote in message
. ..
Long time lurker surfaces to ask a question.

Any one familiar with Didymo?

There are several tailwaters in the Southeast where I fish that have been
invaded and there does not seem to be much concern about it.

I've googled it and gotten the basic info which is this is an invasive
algae that threatens a lot of insect life in trout water.

Has there been discussion in this group that I have missed?

Never heard of it. To the best of my recollection there's been no
previous mention of it here. How's about you give us a summary?

Wolfgang

It's an invasive algae that has done a lot of damage to trout water in New
Zealand. It is spreadly rapidly in the US, although so far it seems
confined to tailwater types of streams.

Fisherman are spreading this algae. The suspected tranmsission is in the
felt of our wading boots.

Here are a couple of web sites you can look at for info.

http://www.epa.gov/Region8/water/events.html

http://www.fly-fishing-guides-new-ze....nz/didymo.htm

The folks in New Zealand seem to be taking this the most seriously. As a
fisherman in the south who depends on tailwaters for a lot of trout fishing
this is a serious wake up call.

There has been one river already very badly infected, but I can't find the
article on it. I THINK it was the Rapid River, in SD. A self sustaining
brown trout population was wiped out.

Something to keep you eye on at least. At the very least find out to
recognize this threat and how to clean your equipment if you come into
contact with it. I am surprised that there is not more info available.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"PRM" wrote in message
.. .

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"PRM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks. I did a brief Google check and haven't found any evidence of its
spread into the upper Great Lakes region yet.

Wolfgang

Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"PRM" wrote in message
.. .

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"PRM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I have to say that it is somewhat amazing to me that you can say "George
Bush" or "Global Warming" around here and start a conversation that goes on
for a while. The discussion may lack rationality and even basic
intelligence, but at least people care.

Start a thread on an emerging threat to our sport and only one person cares
enough to even look it up and their respnse is NIMBY. (No offense Wolfgang,
it's the same response I get whenever I tell anyone about it, even at rivers
that are affected)

Why do we get wound up about yo yo politicos and not the sport this group
supposedly cares about? BTW, not really expecting an answer.

Patrick

Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

PRM wrote:

Why do we get wound up about yo yo politicos and not the sport this group
supposedly cares about? BTW, not really expecting an answer.

I suspect it's because we can't vote on Didymo. :-)

Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

"rw" wrote in message
news

--

Yeah, but at least someone could accuse Didymo of being a Republican, or
even a liberal. Maybe a little conspriracy theory would help.

That's it!! Karl Rove has introduced Didymo into the rivers of states that
went blue in 2004 as a payback!!!

Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mr. Opus McDopus

I have to say that it is somewhat amazing to me that you can say "George
Bush" or "Global Warming" around here and start a conversation that goes on
for a while. The discussion may lack rationality and even basic
intelligence, but at least people care.

Start a thread on an emerging threat to our sport and only one person
cares enough to even look it up and their respnse is NIMBY. (No offense
Wolfgang, it's the same response I get whenever I tell anyone about it,
even at rivers that are affected)

Why do we get wound up about yo yo politicos and not the sport this group
supposedly cares about? BTW, not really expecting an answer.

Patrick

For one thing I have never heard about it. Second, I haven't a clue as to
who you are, but I can almost guarantee that you will get some action, since
you have approached the issue in the usual ROFF manner--Aggravation!

Others who may know or want to know more are likely to respond to you query.

I'll contact the NC Wildlife Commission about it. Now what exactly does the
acronym DIDYMO stand for, or is that the name of the algae?

Op

Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
PRM

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message
[...]

Op:

I am a long time lurker living in NC. At least I've lurked enough to have
some sort of sense for the players here.

NC Wildlife is clueless about this. Check this out instead
http://www.fedflyfishers.org/conDidymo.php

Our NC waters are what I am worried about. This stuff is in the South
Holston, and the Watauga and those guides work the Smoky Mountain streams,
the
Davidson, and the Wilson Creek area as well. Didymo has not spread beyond
the tail race waters, yet............. If the people fishing the tailwaters
don't take this seriously and spread it into our smaller
waters..............well you live here and you know the fragile state of
things as they are.

I fish the Smith River in VA regularly and I keep a separate pair of boots
for NC fishing.

I'm only being aggravating as a way of getting you guys riled up. After
that, I'll go back to lurking!!

See ya,

Patrick

Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

PRM typed:
snip
I'm only being aggravating as a way of getting you guys riled up. After
that, I'll go back to lurking!!

Hellfire - all you had to do was misspell a word. . . or top post.
--
TL,
Tim