OT shook down

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default OT shook down

Well after impatiently waiting 500 miles like Dodge suggests before towing
anything with my new truck,

today, I took it for a short 'shake down' cruise pulling my travel trailer

Wow, what a difference from the old one ... TONS of power and I LOVE the
'Jake Brake' feature, something I've never had before

Yeah, I know this has zero to do with fly fishing and that you, personally,
don't give a **** .... but I just had to tell someone g and everyone else
is out of the country, or in class, or at work

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mar 30, 2:31*pm, "Larry L" wrote:
Well after impatiently waiting 500 miles like Dodge suggests before towing
anything with my new truck,

today, I took it for a short 'shake down' cruise pulling my travel trailer

Wow, what a difference from the old one ... TONS of power and I LOVE the
'Jake Brake' feature, something I've never had before

Yeah, I know this has zero to do with fly fishing and that you, personally,
don't give a **** ....

Well, I wouldn't say that.....exactly.

but I just had to tell someone g and everyone else
is out of the country, or in class, or at work

I was just taking a short break from other reading, so it's o.k.

What's your gas mileage looking like?

g.

Old March 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 30-Mar-2009, "Larry L" wrote:

Well after impatiently waiting 500 miles like Dodge suggests before towing

anything with my new truck,

today, I took it for a short 'shake down' cruise pulling my travel trailer

Wow, what a difference from the old one ... TONS of power and I LOVE the
'Jake Brake' feature, something I've never had before

What kind of trailer do you have?
I am looking fior a teardrop I may buy this year or next

and try this group - rec.outdoors.rv-travel

Fred
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

What kind of trailer do you have?
I am looking fior a teardrop *I may buy this year or next

* and try this group *- rec.outdoors.rv-travel

I'm looking at which teardrop I'm going to build. Powertools and
welding on wood covered surfaces. Cool!
Frank Reid
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

I was just taking a short break from other reading, so it's o.k.

What's your gas mileage looking like?

bear in mind that diesels take a long time to wear in and mileage gets
better as they do .... ( this is called optimism ;-)

So far, I'm getting just about the same as the old truck ... but with twice
the power and 15 times the comfort and 'class' G ....um, and infinite
times the
monthy payment ... I hope for
slightly better than the old rig, after break-in

figures? I haven't driven enough to provide anything but a guess, but thus
far about 16 all round ( mostly short trips in town ) and probably around 20
+ going down the highway ( never really done this, but was over 19 on back
roads with stops every couple miles ) .... probably 11 towing a 25 foot toy
box trailer ( the little meter showed 9.7 today but I was intentionally drag
racing from stops and stopping on steep hills just to start again, etc.

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Fred" wrote

What kind of trailer do you have?
I am looking fior a teardrop I may buy this year or next

and try this group - rec.outdoors.rv-travel

I have about a 25 foot toy box type trailer ... suits me fine, I could hose
the whole thing out to clean it, if I wanted to. It's built for real,
dirty,
tough, use but it has 'everything' .. it's fairly heavy for it's size as
the toy box frames are built to support vehicles inside the rig. I like
the drop down door, and added shade cloth screening across it to make it
into a big window ( I get a kick out of it in campgrounds, I can see out,
they can't see in ... little kids ( some adults too ) will get curious and
come poking around and when they are close and really looking at the
tailgate I'll say something like "It's OK you can walk up it if you want"
MUCH to their surprise G) It's one of the few big items I've ever
bought on impulse ... I saw it displayed on a dealer's lot, first toy hauler
I'd ever seen, stopped
and looked, called my wife and asked
her to come look .... she went in saw the 'no need to baby me, I'm tough'
interior and said "it suits you perfectly, let's buy it "

We may 'upgrade' to a 5th wheel with pop outs IF my wife takes to the
lifestyle and wants to full time ( part time;-) in the summers with me ...
what we have is pushing the limits for two people, each with their own
hobbies that require space etc I'm not looking forward to all the very
uncamplike crap most rigs have in them ... crystal chandeliers, and such.
Artic Fox makes some very sturdy rigs .. rated for winter in Alaska and nice
but not with tacky, frilly, stuff, so that's what I'm looking at.

I have posted a couple questions at the rort group ... I've grown
accustomed to the BS on roff ... but all the political crap over there keeps
me away unless I have a REAL need for information

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Frank Reid" wrote

I'm looking at which teardrop I'm going to build. Powertools and
welding on wood covered surfaces.

To both of you ... talk to tear drop owners before buying/ building ....
I've talked to two ( out of two ) that basically said they wished they had
stayed with a tent or tent trailer

Cool!

actually poor ventilation and not the least bit cool were mentioned by both

Old March 31st, 2009, 03:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 30-Mar-2009, "Calif Bill" wrote:

Welding is not on wood covered surfaces. Guy in Art Welding class a year
ago made a teardrop trailer. Metal frame and side hoops. Do not know
where
he got plans.

There are quite a few sites w construction plans for a teardrop - I can
point you to some if you would like

Fred
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Welding is not on wood covered surfaces. *Guy in Art Welding class a year
ago made a teardrop trailer. *Metal frame and side hoops. *Do not know
where
he got plans.

There are quite a few sites w construction plans for a teardrop - I can
point you to some if you would like

Thanks anyway. I've found a few dozen.
Frank Reid