Fly box photo request?

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:39 AM
riverman

Default Fly box photo request?

I think it would be very informative and valuable if people posted pictures
of their fly boxes and gear for different types of fishing!

On Hans' new photo page, he has a pic of his fly box (follow the 'North
America' link), and that photo is full of information, and things I want to
learn from!

For starters, and I notice that he does not have a tremendous diversity of
flies, and has a lot of the same version, and in what looks like similar
sizes. I also notice some things about how he organizes his boxes, as well
as the type of boxes he chooses. Having fished with him, I know he is one of
the more prolific catchers of large fish (just look at some of those
photos), and it might be very interesting to see the similarities between
his fly boxes and folks like Willi's, etc, who also seem to have figured it
out.

Anyone interested in taking pictures like Hans' of their fly gear and
posting them on a site (Stan, you willing to host?) I bet a cross-comparison
might bring up some interesting things.

--riverman

Old May 11th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Sandy Birrell

riverman wrote:
[...]

Three of my boxes can be seen here.

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/gallery/.../flyboxes.html

They are marked spring, summer and mixed. The summer and spring boxes
are used all the time, the flies are cross mixed, i.e. they are not
used in the specific season

The mixed box is just an odds and sods box I carry for those days when
nothing works.

I also have a river box with small flies and a salmon box that aren't
shown.

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Staalkop

Hi riverman,

great idea !

BUT : to be honest. At this moment I hardly use such boxes anymore.....
I throw my flies in "open" boxes. Just the same pattern ( in different
zizes ) together.
I put 1 photo on the Patagonia 2004 link, where you can get an idea.
To much work to pick them all together.

I indeed like to use as less as possible different patterns.
I noticed that I start changing flies to fast when I have too many different
ones.
Believing ( based upon experience ) in the fly is important I think.

Hans
"riverman" schreef in bericht