Most Humane Way to Clean Fish

Old November 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Most Humane Way to Clean Fish

There's "A Reference Source for Analgesia & Analgesics in Animals" at
http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/pubs/awic200002.htm in case anyone's
interested. It includes a reference to:

Yoshikawa, H.; Ueno, S.; Mitsuda, H., (1989), Short and long-term cold
anesthesia in carp.
Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi Bulletin of the Japan Society for Science and
Fisheries. v. 55 (3), p. 491-498. ISSN: 0021-5392.
NAL Call no: 414.9 J274
Descriptors: cold anesthesia, long term, short term, carp.

I haven't tried to track it down.

Old November 20th, 2005, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

edited to fit the picture more fully..........
wrote in message

I'll review what I do know below.

Old November 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
Mike Connor wrote:

Your posts are based on the false premise that fish "suffer". This is
physiologically impossible for fish, their brains and nervous systems are
not highly developed enough to allow them to "suffer".

The PHD I quoted disagrees with you. Maybe you think she's a fake. I
guess you think she's wrong about:

No, she apparently disagrees with current scientific opinion.

Since your premises are based on what you believe, and not on proven fact,
or on logic in view of the known facts, it is quite impossible for anybody
else to either prove or refute them.

You are wasting your time offering specious argument here.

MC

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Mike Connor wrote:

No, she apparently disagrees with current scientific opinion.

Since your premises are based on what you believe, and not on proven fact,
or on logic in view of the known facts, it is quite impossible for anybody
else to either prove or refute them.

She does use logic in view of the known facts. I quoted her in the top
post of this thread. Maybe you should read it again. Evidence can be
scientific and trustworthy and something that's worthy of putting to
use even when it's not 100% proven. I can think of no better example
than the subject if this thread. Playing it safe is easy and might
prevent the suffering of suffocation thousands or millions of times per
day.

You make it sound like there's scientific evidence that refutes her,
like evidence that fish can't suffer. If so, I'd like to hear it. But I
guess you're just saying that her evidence that fish feel pain and how
to relieve it is lacking. I suggest you rethink the purpose for those
clubs (justices?). If you want to do a little research, you can look at
some of the studies on fish anesthesia, particularly cold anesthesia. I
referenced one earlier today. I'll be looking it up myself eventually.

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

A minute ago I admittedly didn't know the facts, and now I have a
perfect little concept and am blind to something?

Yes, you are still blind to who your audience is. Who are you addressing
here? Commercial fishermen? No. Bait fishermen who take home tons of
crappie, no. You are addressing fly fishermen who fish primarily for a COLD
WATER FISH (not carp, not bass, not crappie), trout. A fish that thrives in
34-40 degree water. A fish that would be unaffected by the COLD WATER
BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY LIVE IN!!.
Also, you are addressing folks who RELEASE THE FISH THEY CATCH!!! We strive
not to kill them. I've not kept a trout in almost 20 years.
You are talking to the wrong people as this is a fly fishing group. Now,
there is one group that may be interested in your theories.
rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Try it. What do you have to loose?
So, now do you have a CLUE AS TO WHAT YOU'VE BEEN IGNORING????

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old November 21st, 2005, 01:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Frank Reid wrote:
there is one group that may be interested in your theories.
rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Try it. What do you have to loose?
So, now do you have a CLUE AS TO WHAT YOU'VE BEEN IGNORING????

Some people here have been engaging me in this conversation and had
misconceptions that needed correcting, and despite some people's claims
that most of you are catch and release fishermen, I still have no
reason to believe that these ideas don't relate to the title of this
newsgroup--rec.outdoors.fishing.fly. Who knows who's lurking out there.
If you're one of the apparent majority who this doesn't relate to, and
you're not interested, find another thread to read. But you're probably
correct that rec.outdoors.fishing.bass is a more appropriate newsgroup
for this.

Could someone define fly fishing for me?

Old November 21st, 2005, 02:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

...I still have no
reason to believe that these ideas don't relate to the title of this
newsgroup--rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.

...Could someone define fly fishing for me?

I think your last question answers your first, in more ways than one.

--riverman

Old November 21st, 2005, 04:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in message
oups.com...
...Who knows who's lurking out there....

Well, we may be a bit slow, bubba, but we're getting a pretty good idea long
about now.

Wolfgang
who, let it not be denied, is having a hard time not splitting a gut over
the notion that adults apparently take this rag seriously.

Old November 21st, 2005, 05:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Frank Reid wrote:
You are addressing fly fishermen who fish primarily for a COLD
WATER FISH (not carp, not bass, not crappie), trout. A fish that thrives in
34-40 degree water. A fish that would be unaffected by the COLD WATER
BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY LIVE IN!!

http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/ntrout.asp

"It's simple: cold-water fish such as trout and salmon thrive in
streams with temperatures of 50 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit."

Old November 21st, 2005, 05:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:
...I still have no
reason to believe that these ideas don't relate to the title of this
newsgroup--rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.

...Could someone define fly fishing for me?

I think your last question answers your first, in more ways than one.

Maybe you should have given me that reason or answer that I needed
instead of being sarcastic. I don't think need it now because saw that
"fly fishing" is in the dictionary, and it means what I'd already said
I knew about it. Nothing about cold or warm water or about catch and
release. It's just that I'm still getting criticism about posting this
stuff in this newsgroup, so I wanted to confirm that I was right. But
you all know each other's fishing preferences better than me and I
admit that there might not be many people here who would find it
practical or necessary to ice a fish.