A rare opportunity...

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

Default A rare opportunity...

Anyone...? I hope to someday.

http://video.patagonia.com/video/Eas...rc=052611_bvi1

So cool,
JT

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-27 13:19:25 -0400, "JT" said:

Anyone...? I hope to someday.

http://video.patagonia.com/video/Eas...rc=052611_bvi1

So

cool,
JT

I went to Kamchatka in 05, Jeff. Although I had a wonderful time and
caught many rainbows in the 28 - 32 inch range, it is not a land for
old men. Fishing for Dolly Vardens with size 16 and 18 dries was a
hoot, but catching BIG rainbows with mouse patterns was the big draw.
You could see the fish coming for the mouse (think of a submarine
running on the surface with a pressure wave from the hull). big smile

I floated the Zhuponava River for six days. I had Putin's Revenge from
the food, but I'd do it again in a second. Almost went this year, but
swmbo talked me out of it because of my new hip. I'm going to Labrador
instead -- easier logistics.

In the trailer it looked like they travelled through Moscow. That was
the only way to go this year. However, they are supposed to resume
flights from Anchorage to Petropavlosk (4 hour flight). States to
Anchorage - overnight- very early flight to Petro.

Maybe next year..........dream bubble

http://dlacourse.shutterfly.com/

Old May 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Myron Buck

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said:

Incredible! So what did that trip run door step to door step in '05 and
how much would you figure if you had gone this season? On a scale of 1
- 10, where did this trip rate? What trip would you do over again
because it was so good.

I believe the cost for the trip was about $4k, plus air fare to
Anchorage, the overnight, and air fare to Petro. *I remember the fare
to Petro was $1200 which I thought was a bit steep. *I think it went
for about $5700 this year, plus travel to Moscow and then on to Petro. *
The air fare was expensive as was the overnight in Moscow.

The Kamchatka trip is up to about $10,500 now...
http://www.flyfishingtravel.com/kamchatka/index.html

--riverman
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

*
The air fare was expensive as was the overnight in Moscow.

The Kamchatka trip is up to about $10,500 now...
http://www.flyfishingtravel.com/kamchatka/index.html

--riverman

That's the steelhead trip. Twelve days instead of the normal six. The
trips to the Sedanka and the Zhupanava are around $6000. I was
planning on the steelhead trip, but swmbo......... d;o)

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Myron Buck

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said:

[...]

Dave

Hmm, $6K for a six day trip, plus expenses? That's kinda steep. Why
not come join me for a Taimen trip in Mongolia...its $4700 for a 10-
day trip. I know you have Labrador already booked, but we could do a
trip at the end of July. :-)

Old May 28th, 2011, 12:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said

:

[...]

I'd love to, Myron. However, my summer is pretty much scheduled.
Living in Georgia we don't get to see the kids that often, so when we
are in Mass they take priority.

Remind me in Feb/March. Taimen......hmmmmm.

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

myron...i'm interested in mongolia and taimen...but unsure of flight
issues. any advice about flights from eastern us...and what is $ extra
once there? thanks.

jeff

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On May 28, 2:48*pm, jeff wrote:

myron...i'm interested in mongolia and taimen...but unsure of flight
issues. *any advice about flights from eastern us...and what is $ extra
once there? *thanks.

jeff

No authority on Mongolia, taimen, or heavier than air flight myself,
and most emphatically (and obviously, one would suppose) not
Myron.....but "flight issues" would appear to necessarily include
transport in or on heavier than air (actually, MUCH heavier than air)
vehicles.

Or can operant conditioning legitimately claim yet another convert to
the "fear is illusion" school of thought?

g.
who has still not met a beet he would trust with the least of his
worldly posessions or his well-being (however illusory).
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

generic clonazepam...prescribed for restless leg syndrome... does
surprisingly well with the mind weasels too. we sleep.

seems whisky and proper drugs smooth out my splintered fears in such
things...getting the combo right can be interesting too. as i near that
long quiet night, i'm gonna try to experience some different stuff.
looking toward the glow of fishing in mongolia seems a reasonable part
of my "howlings at the moon". just ciphering at the moment... budget has
been walloped by some new required construction here in g'ville, but the
possibility of adventure always gives a reason to be...

jeff

Old May 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-05-27 16:33:44 -0400, "JT" said

:

[...]

A cursory check of airfares show the cheapest flights at $2675 up to
$5+k, with a total time of 22 hours from Atlanta to Ulaanbaatar.