Head cement

Old January 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Mike Connor

Default Head cement

"GuyT" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Yes, it is excellent.

TL
MC

Old January 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Stan Gula

"GuyT" wrote in message
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

I've used the 'Hard as Nails' for several years. Works fine for me.

Old January 18th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Jim (Bear) Peterson

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:03:17 -0600, "GuyT"
wrote:

Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Hi Guy,
I've used it, and I've used several other brands of nail polish on
flies over the years,, I don't know why that brand is always pushed as
being good to the point of better than any of the others,, I've had
good results from almost all I've tried,, as long as I let them dry
completely before fishing them,,

Bear
send any e-mail to
but first me remove OLD from this yahoo addy,
or remove oldgrizzly from
,,
however, while I will find the message if sent to the yahoo addy,
the smig.net addy is running at between 75 to 125 pieces of spam
a day so your message could get lost while I sort out the spam

please check out my better half's on-line projects

www.amazon.com/shops/inland_canal_general_store
unique hand silkscreened ****s, Education kits & Family Games,
Medical Posters, Household, Giftware, Nic-Nacs, and more.

www.cafeshops.com/everythinggoes
our own Folk Art or Additude on T-shirts, Sweatshirts, Coffee Cups,
Mouse Pads, Tote Bags, Hats, Tile Coasters, and more.

www.keen.com/Dawn+777
have a Tarot Card reading done today.
Click on the link to get started.
Old January 18th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Lat705

"Hard as Nails" may be the most popular US head cement.

\Lou T
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Willi

GuyT wrote:
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Personally I seldom use "head" cement on a fly's head. I do use it for a
few other things.

Willi

Old January 19th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Scott Seidman

"Stan Gula" wrote in
:

"GuyT" wrote in message
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

I've used the 'Hard as Nails' for several years. Works fine for me.

Works great for me, too. If you trim the brush in the bottle way back, you
can use that brush directly.

Scott
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:09 PM
DaveMohnsen

"GuyT" wrote in message
Question please:
For basic tying of nymphs and dries (for trout), has anyone used Hard As
Nails clear nail polish by Sally Hansen as a head cement and how has it
performed as a head cement?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Hi Guy,
I started tying fairly seriously back in the early 70's. I just bought some
Sally Hansen stuff a month or so ago. Haven't used it yet. But I went
through all kinds of stuff over the years. Made my own derivative of
cement, combining stuff that have should have killed me a long time ago,
bought stuff over the counter, and finally figured out I only needed a
couple things . . .something to soak into the thread . . .and that may be
all . . .or something to make a shiny front to the fly. I use a head cement
on about everything (unless I'm in a hurry). It may be only a pin drop at
the location of the end of a whip finish, or I may paint it with a high
gloss. ( the high gloss flies usually may start at a size 10 or larger)

Keeping this is mind, I don't usually use waxed threads. But, I believe
they have a better adhering ability than the nonwaxed threads. . .cause the
wax stuff kind of helps 'smushing' it together . . .if wrapped off tightly
enough. When I use waxed threads, I sometimes don't use anything other
than a whip finish.

But I can say, about 90% plus of my flies have a little dab of some cement.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Old January 20th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Guy Thornberg

Thanks to all for your input and responses!
I will rummage through the 100's of bottles of nail polish the women have in
their many boxes of beauty aids.....You never know what you might find that
will be of use at the bench.
Guy

"DaveMohnsen" wrote in message
hlink.net...