Lapland clave 2004 maps

Old December 21st, 2003, 01:36 PM
Roger Ohlund

Default Lapland clave 2004 maps

"rakane at verizon dot net" wrote in
message ...
A sleeping bag. Make that a sleeping bag with below zero degrees Celsius
comfort temperature.
A bottom sheet.
An inflatable sleeping mattress.
Waders. Breathables, since we will be hiking to some extent.

I just have to ask, why have an inflatable mattress if you are preparing

for
cold weather? I went late season elk hunting with about 18" of snow, and
that night one of our hunters got hypothermia because he was sleeping on

an
inflatable mattress. The physician in the group had to drive him into
Pendleton. That mattress allowed the cold to penetrate from the side of

the
mattress, where those with the old foam standbys were toasty warm.

Just curious.

Well, that might be so but we're not camping under winter conditions, more
like summer.
It might get down to a couple of degrees above freezing for an hour or two
if it gets realy cold at night.
On the other hand it might be 30 degrees Celsius during daytime, which in my
experience won't in any way mean that you go to bed in cold sleeping gear.

/Roger

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:45 AM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:36:44 +0100, "Roger Ohlund"
wrote:

Well, that might be so but we're not camping under winter conditions, more
like summer.
It might get down to a couple of degrees above freezing for an hour or two
if it gets realy cold at night.
On the other hand it might be 30 degrees Celsius during daytime, which in my
experience won't in any way mean that you go to bed in cold sleeping gear.

/Roger

Highly unlikely to get hypothermia at those temps if one is actually
in the sleeping bag, rather than lying on top of it on a very warm
evening that turns into a chilly night. The worst temps bags I've
seen should be safe (if not comfy) at 40 F (about 3 or 4 C?), unless
the user has impaired circulation or an ethanol overload or gets wet
and doesn't dry off before getting in the bag.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:29 AM
Mu Young Lee

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, rw wrote:

-- Rob wrote:
that night one of our hunters got hypothermia because he was sleeping on an
inflatable mattress.

Any fans of vapor barriers out there in ROFFland?

Mu
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:09 AM
Dave LaCourse

Mu writes:

Any fans of vapor barriers out there in ROFFland?

Well, having shared a cabin with wayno four or five times, I can tell you that
I ain't a big fan of his vapors. d;o)
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old December 23rd, 2003, 03:10 AM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:29:20 -0500, Mu Young Lee
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, rw wrote:

-- Rob wrote:
that night one of our hunters got hypothermia because he was sleeping on an
inflatable mattress.

Any fans of vapor barriers out there in ROFFland?

Mu

If I winter camped here in MN, I might try one. As it is, I can't see
using one above about 20 to 30 F. Weather that is my absolute limit
for camping and then only by accident.

Old December 23rd, 2003, 05:00 AM
Bob Patton

"rw" wrote in message
hlink.net...
//snip//
The most important advice I'd give to campers - especially campers who
are fishing in cold weather -- is to take no cotton clothing. Use only
quick-drying synthetics and wool.

Very good advice.
And cotton is deadly in cold or wet weather. It's heavy, it absorbs water,
and is one of the best transmitters of your body heat to the universe.
Bob