king salmon fly pole

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:56 AM
steve

Default king salmon fly pole

Any recommendations? What weight should it be? 8? 9? 10?

The ones that have my attention are the orvis t3, reddinton wayfarer,
scott supR-lys3
route 37 nooksack, and the rogue flyrod

I was surprised to see the tfo did so badly in flyfisherman magazines
test

Old November 11th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Wes Chormicle

Pole???!!??

I thought poles were something power lines were strung on....

;-)

Old November 11th, 2003, 05:45 AM
a-happy-up-yours

Wes Chormicle wrote:
Pole???!!??

I thought poles were something power lines were strung on....

No, more ofen having to do with Z-transfoms.
http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m10556/latest/
has a reasonable starting point.

It's like a steeple cast, only different. Well, sorta.

Tom

n4tab at earthlink dot net

Old November 11th, 2003, 05:59 AM
B J Conner

"steve" wrote in message
Any recommendations? What weight should it be? 8? 9? 10?

The ones that have my attention are the orvis t3, reddinton wayfarer,
scott supR-lys3
route 37 nooksack, and the rogue flyrod

I was surprised to see the tfo did so badly in flyfisherman magazines
test

If your after chinook the casting performance of your rod is not that
important, you'll be casting big flys with some lead or wire in them. You
gotta bounce them flys off the rocks to catch chinooks. The best rod is here
http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/p...ugly-big.shtml and the one
you want is the
BWF 11009089
A fish that can be a sack of patatos one second and a Mark 48 the next can
be hell on rods. The moore expensive the rod the easier they seem to break
them.

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Bill Kiene

Hi Steve,

I love these magazine tests............basically meaningless. If I am
interested in a rod, I cast it to determine if it is any good for me. You
should do the same.

For a King Salmon fly rod I would say that most use a #9 or #10 line fly
rod.

Many are caught on 8 weight because that is what they have.

I have sold 12 weights to people that lived in Anchorage, AK, because they
got tired of fighting them on their 10 weight?

9' is a standard length for Kings. I am a 2 or 3 piece kind of guy for
Kings, but I guess 4 pc is OK for the travel benefits?

Be sure the ferrules are together tight and check them every half hour of
casting.

PS: I have not heard of some of these rods? Orvis, Scott and Redington(Sage)
will be there for you if they break.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Old November 11th, 2003, 04:21 PM
steve

In article ,
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Hi Steve,

I love these magazine tests............basically meaningless. If I am
interested in a rod, I cast it to determine if it is any good for me. You
should do the same.

For a King Salmon fly rod I would say that most use a #9 or #10 line fly
rod.

Many are caught on 8 weight because that is what they have.

I have sold 12 weights to people that lived in Anchorage, AK, because they
got tired of fighting them on their 10 weight?

9' is a standard length for Kings. I am a 2 or 3 piece kind of guy for
Kings, but I guess 4 pc is OK for the travel benefits?

Be sure the ferrules are together tight and check them every half hour of
casting.

PS: I have not heard of some of these rods? Orvis, Scott and Redington(Sage)
will be there for you if they break.

Can you tell me what you think of the adg titanium (www.adgfish.com)?
Supposedly it is like the orvis t3 except better. It retails for $900
but my friend owns a fly shop and he sells to me at cost. He has a adg
titan 7/8 weight that he will sell me for $334
Old November 11th, 2003, 04:36 PM
rw

steve wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Kiene" wrote:

Hi Steve,

I love these magazine tests............basically meaningless. If I am
interested in a rod, I cast it to determine if it is any good for me.

You should do the same.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!

Can you tell me what you think of the adg titanium (www.adgfish.com)?
Supposedly it is like the orvis t3 except better. It retails for $900
but my friend owns a fly shop and he sells to me at cost. He has a adg
titan 7/8 weight that he will sell me for $334

I'm afraid you missed Bill's point. It doesn't matter what HE thinks of
it. What matters is what YOU think of it after trying it.

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:48 PM
rw

Greg Pavlov wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:36:55 GMT, rw
wrote:

I'm afraid you missed Bill's point. It doesn't matter what HE thinks of
it. What matters is what YOU think of it after trying it.

I suspect that you've missed the point: "steve" is here
to shill rods.

I was more under the impression that he's come under the satanic
influence of someone else who's trying to shill rods, but then, I
haven't been following it all that closely, so maybe you're right.

Old November 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Me

Oh we have an elite person here. Do you hold your own pole? You sound like a
pole holder. It's pole holders like you that drive up the price of fly
fishing goods. They sell you rods for $500+ so you can show everyone that
your lack of knowledge is camouflaged by your gear. You TOOL!!!!!
news