What's the Penn's Clave?

Old February 19th, 2004, 06:54 PM
just al

Default What's the Penn's Clave?

I posted here a bunch last winter, then was much too busy because of
teaching school, coaching baseball, and fishing until well after dark.

I've done web searches on Penn's Creek. Besides the comraderie (seeing
pictures and reading inside jokes make me think you are the kind of guys
that know your stuff) what is the creek all about?

Are there wild trout, are they stocked? Is it nymphing or size 22 dry
water? What's up?

I kind of liked the Delaware, fish the Ausable River in Wilmington, NY
regularly, had an OK time in the Lehigh Valley of PA, and need an excuse to
take some of my personal days.

Thanks!

just al

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Tom Littleton

just al asks:
what is the creek all about?

Penn's is a pretty good sized limestone stream with a fairly heavy flow rate.
Picture a cross between the Upper Delaware and the Ausable.....

Are there wild trout, are they stocked?

some stocking is done, but most fish are streambred browns.

Is it nymphing or size 22 dry
water?

could be either, or also good water for wets or large dries. Most all
techniques work some of the time. Nymphing, as always, is the most consistent.

What's up?

Usually, Dave LaCourse's boot soles as he floats by. Please, right him, should
he pass you. Don't go near Reid, on the other hand, the man is a disaster
magnet.

May 16-23 are the dates. Contact me for further details, or post away and get
an even more complete picture. Hope to see you!
Tom

Old February 20th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Dave LaCourse

Tom L. writes:

What's up?

Usually, Dave LaCourse's boot soles as he floats by. Please, right him,
should
he pass you. Don't go near Reid, on the other hand, the man is a disaster
magnet.

Har, har, har. Been thinking about coming down for an early show. You up for
it? Late April, first week in May?
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old February 20th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Tom Littleton

The Human Strike Indicator writes:
Har, har, har. Been thinking about coming down for an early show. You up
for
it? Late April, first week in May?
Dave

Mike and I have yet to finalize, but will be opening up the trailer in Late
April sometime. I will let you know....I need some nymphing practice with a
master.
Tom
Old February 25th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Dave LaCourse

Mike Makela writes:

Let me know the date and I'll plan around it. Bruce F also may be up
that weekend, he's dying to catch the Grannoms and I enlighten him
with the hatch we saw last year (you know Tom, the one you scared off
when you showed up in the Coburn parking lot). Mike Shaw and I
witnessed one heck of a storm...

Wanna do a cabin again this year? How 'bout bringing your own towel this time?
d;o)

And I ain't never seen *any* hatches at Penns. They are mythical I believe.

Old February 28th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Joel Axelrad

Michael Makela writes....

If the grannoms aren't around I usually stick to Big Fishing Creek and
Spring Creek after a Penn's nymph run or two. They can have some nice
Hendrickson hatches, including a Screaming Yellow Hendrickson on Big
Fishing creek that brings up the fish.

Mike

What about Sulphers on Spring Creek? That can be wild sometimes.

Joel Axelrad
**DFD**
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Joe McIntosh

Michael Makela writes....

If the grannoms aren't around I usually stick to Big Fishing Creek and
Spring Creek after a Penn's nymph run or two. They can have some nice
Hendrickson hatches, including a Screaming Yellow Hendrickson on Big
Fishing creek that brings up the fish.

Mike

Indian Joe asks--all i caught two years ago was rain----dont know squat
about fishing hatches- know you are in big demand --but-hope you and
tom { the resident pros] will let me join youall for a half day of penns
creekfishing this year.
My knees say half a day but my heart says i will buy the beer.

Old February 28th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Tom Littleton

Indian Joe states:
hope you and
tom { the resident pros] will let me join youall for a half day of penns
creekfishing this year.
My knees say half a day but my heart says i will buy the beer.

it would be my pleasure....will try to think of something easy on the knees.
Shoot, given the beer offer, I will carry you out if need be.
Tom