OT- mechanical moron goes bass fishin

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:33 AM
Jeff Miller

Default OT- mechanical moron goes bass fishin

thought i'd get this told before it's expressed in less literate and
kind terms.

as some know, pamlico jim roberts and i fish together a good bit. i
enjoy his company, wit, and experience. he enjoys my truck and boat,
and the amusement my ineptitude invariably provides. g true to my
nature, i think i'm getting the better end of the deal. anyway, this
weekend being forecast as relatively warm, we made plans to paddle about
some fine and private bass waters in hyde county. shad fishing is
getting crowded on weekends and we agreed some peaceful and solitary
fishing far from manunkind would be a welcome change... i carried along
an old mitchell 8 weight rod just in case there was some topwater
action, and because i've been on a run of breaking or losing my fishing
rods.

anyway, on saturday morning, i drive over to pick up jim. my truck has
one of those computer readout things on the dash that tells you if
there's a problem. it's bothersome. reading the damn thing is
unavoidable as it appears without cessation til you cure the problem...
if it was a voice, i'm certain it would be gilbert gottfried or joan
rivers. so, it says my wiper fluid is out. jim was moving a bit slow,
and i was sitting in the truck waiting for him when i notice a peculiar
clacking sound coming from under the hood where i assume the engine is
located. i'm certain it must be related to the wiper fluid absence or
jim's insistance on driving 100 mph to see if this truck has one of
those damnable governors that keeps us from getting anyplace at twice
the lawful rate. i pop the hood...yep there's a sound in there. hey,
thinks i, while i'm waiting and since i've successfully negotiated the
hood opening, might as well fix the wiper fluid nag and add some
water... so... hmmm, this reservoir is close to the wipers, looks
watery, funny lookin symbol on the cap...oh well, in goes the water...
out comes jim and his s.o., jenny, who each asked wtf i was doing. fixin
the wiper fluid problem sez i, proud of my mechanical accomplishment.
much guffawing, strident name-calling, and general unsettling conduct
ensued. seems i added water to the brake fluid reservoir. siphoning
(brake fluid has a lasting aftertaste, for those unfamiliar) and
removing the reservoir took about an hour. the humiliation will
undoubtedly last a lifetime...at least for jim's lifetime, i'm quite sure.

the fishing wasn't spectacular... too windy and a cold front came
through. but, i did catch the finest bass of the day (posted on abpf).
didn't get to toss the flyline or try out big dale's psychedelic
spiders...maybe next trip. i did discover the location of the wiper
fluid reservoir (it's as far from the wipers as they could place
it...seems odd), so i probably won't be needing to gaze numbly at all
that stuff anytime soon, and that troubling warning won't flash at me as
i'm driving. don't think i'll be able to quiet pj as effectively though.
the truck computer has neither warning nor remedy for the ragging
i'm gonna endure from him on a regular basis.

my name is jeff, and i'm a moronaholic.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:03 AM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:33:10 -0500, Jeff Miller
wrote:

[a tale of unbelievable mechanical ineptitude snipped]

Jim

This is the Good Lord's way of telling you that you made a very wise
career choice.

BTW, I remember a time on that private holy water where you laid a
lickin' on both PJ and I, so all this talk of fishin' ineptitude
doesn't wash with this Canuckistanni.

Peter (who's never met a lawyer who knew one end of a screwdrive from
the other, unless it was served in a glass)

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:17 AM
Tim J.

"Jeff Miller" wrote...
thought i'd get this told before it's expressed in less literate and
kind terms.

snip
i did discover the location of the wiper
fluid reservoir (it's as far from the wipers as they could place
it...seems odd), so i probably won't be needing to gaze numbly at all
that stuff anytime soon, and that troubling warning won't flash at me as
i'm driving.

This wouldn't be in a Toyota or Super Toyota (Lexus) now, would it?
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Jeff Miller

Tim J. wrote:

This wouldn't be in a Toyota or Super Toyota (Lexus) now, would it?

nah...gmc. toyota brakes handle water better?

jeff

Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:21 AM
Wolfgang

"Jeff Miller" wrote in message

Tim J. wrote:

This wouldn't be in a Toyota or Super Toyota (Lexus) now, would it?

nah...gmc. toyota brakes handle water better?

I figure as long as you got more ethanol in you than in the brakes, you're
o.k.

Wolfgang
though, if you think about it, it works just about as well t'other way
around, ainna?

Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:51 AM

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:33:10 -0500, Jeff Miller
wrote:

You should have refilled your blinker fluid whilst you were at it...
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
Tim J.

"Jeff Miller" wrote...
Tim J. wrote:

This wouldn't be in a Toyota or Super Toyota (Lexus) now, would it?

nah...gmc. toyota brakes handle water better?

No, but their reservoir labeling system is just as screwed up.
--
TL,
Tim

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Bob Patton

thought i'd get this told before it's expressed in less literate and
kind terms.

//touching confession snipped//

Reminds me of the time I was gonna cut down a tree in my front yard. Got
about 2/3 of the way through before I realized I had a HUGE problem . . .
Bob

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
rb608

"Bob Patton" rwpmailatcharterdotnet wrote in message news
Reminds me of the time I was gonna cut down a tree in my front yard. Got
about 2/3 of the way through before I realized I had a HUGE problem . . .

My neighbor down the road had a huge oak she wanted down. She did the smart
thing; she called a professional tree service. To aim the tree toward their
"target" area, they expertly cabled it to their truck and put some tension
on it. (Don't get ahead of me.) Grossly underestimating the leverage of a
100' oak tree and it's effect on a small truck, they watched as the tree
fell in the opposite direction, dragging the truck across the yard. Fell
across a busy road & took out the electricity, phone, & cable lines as it
ripped the cross trees off of seven poles. Luckily, no one got hurt; but it
was a helluva mess. g

Joe F.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM
Jeff

Tim J. wrote:

No, but their reservoir labeling system is just as screwed up.

damn!!!...there's my excuse. "Jim dammitt...the fukkin GMC reservoir
labeling system is deceptive"... hmmm, might work. Except for those
windshield wiper thingies on the windshield wiper water reservoir
cap...g. truth has been told...i am simply an idiot. usually,
however, i do a better job of keeping that ineluctable fact concealed.

jeff