Amateur Fisherman.

Old June 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Roadster3043

Default Amateur Fisherman.

Greetings.

I recently started fishing, and I'm definitely hooked!

I have several questions that hopefully the "pro's"(amateur,
intermediate and advanced alike) on this group can help

me with.

I have read that you need to have several rods, for different
situations. What are those types of situations and

what rods should be used? The budget is tight, so that you know, I
will be fishing in rivers, ponds and

sal****er(mainly from shore).

I have also read that you can go with lots of equipment and with very
light equipment. I would like to go as light

as possible, but yet have everything I might need for the kind of
fishing I will be doing most, which as I mentioned

earlier are, rivers, ponds and sal****er. Perhaps have two tackle
boxes, one large to leave in the car, and a small

one to have the essentials?

Regarding hooks, lures, monofilament, weights and such, which sizes/
strength do you recommend?

Is it possible to buy several reel spools to have with different
monofilaments? If so, how can I be sure if they

are compatible with my current reel, or any reel in the future?

Online fishing forums that you recommend?

Any good online stores that ship to zipcode 00726?

Thank you for your help and info.

Take Care.

JuanMa

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rodney Long

Roadster3043 wrote:
Greetings.

I recently started fishing, and I'm definitely hooked!

I have several questions that hopefully the "pro's"(amateur,
intermediate and advanced alike) on this group can help

A lot to cover with a post :-)
Since your just now getting into fresh water fishing, I'll "give" you
some of my rigs, they will cover all of your soft plastic lure rigging,
you might as well start off the the best. Check out my site below, and
send me a personal email off the group

--
Rodney Long
SpecTastic tackle company

http://spectastictackle.com/
Old June 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "Roadster3043"

| Greetings.
|
| I recently started fishing, and I'm definitely hooked!
|
| I have several questions that hopefully the "pro's"(amateur,
| intermediate and advanced alike) on this group can help
|
| me with.
|
| I have read that you need to have several rods, for different
| situations. What are those types of situations and
|
| what rods should be used? The budget is tight, so that you know, I
| will be fishing in rivers, ponds and
|
| sal****er(mainly from shore).
|
| I have also read that you can go with lots of equipment and with very
| light equipment. I would like to go as light
|
| as possible, but yet have everything I might need for the kind of
| fishing I will be doing most, which as I mentioned
|
| earlier are, rivers, ponds and sal****er. Perhaps have two tackle
| boxes, one large to leave in the car, and a small
|
| one to have the essentials?
|
| Regarding hooks, lures, monofilament, weights and such, which sizes/
| strength do you recommend?
|
| Is it possible to buy several reel spools to have with different
| monofilaments? If so, how can I be sure if they
|
| are compatible with my current reel, or any reel in the future?
|
| Online fishing forums that you recommend?
|
| Any good online stores that ship to zipcode 00726?
|
| Thank you for your help and info.
|
| Take Care.
|
| JuanMa

Generally speaking you have a broad range.

What is called in a pond or lake is NOT suitable for the surf.

A lake or pond may need a 6' rod with 6 to 10 pound test.

Larger lakes and rivers would require a 6' to 9' pole and could be a different rod for a
boat vs from the shore. When on a boat casting may not be needed as much so the rod can be
stiffer and shorter than a rod used from the shore which would needf to be longer and more
flexible.

Surf fishing rquires a reel that can handle salt. Never use a large freshwater reel on a
surf rod. It will NOT last long. Make sure your reel is rated for salt water. A good surf
rod should be carbon fiber and be a minimum of 9' but 10' to 12' is better. A good
suggestion is the Daiwa Eliminator 12' surf rod. The line should be 15 to 20 pounf test.

I do NOT suggest an online store !

I do suggest you waling into a sports shop and/or Bait and Tackle shop and looking and what
is there and ASK QUESTIONS !

You are where, Puerto Rico ?
I am sure there are some good, quality, fishing pro shops there you can browse and ask those
questions at.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rodney Long

From: "Roadster3043"

| Greetings.
|
| I recently started fishing, and I'm definitely hooked!
|
| I have several questions that hopefully the "pro's"(amateur,
| intermediate and advanced alike) on this group can help
|
| me with.
|
| I have read that you need to have several rods, for different
| situations. What are those types of situations and
|
| what rods should be used? The budget is tight, so that you know, I
| will be fishing in rivers, ponds and

I should have wrote this earlier

It's just like hunting, sure there are many different rifles for
different game and conditions,

BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Someone can use a single bolt action 270 and kill everything that is
hunted with a HP rifle in the US.
Sure it's over kill for many animals, and a little light for a few, but
it actually works just fine (what ever you do, don't let my wife know I
wrote this). I own around 15 different center fire hunting rifles for
different game and conditions. I told the wife "I had to have them"

Fishing is the same, one rod and reel, and you can catch most game fish
up to around 30 lbs, one will not be the "best" though, but it will work
for the beginner.

As you get older you add more rods and reels, I think I own somewhere
around 40 or 50, many are duplicates (they have the same purpose) but
made by different companies.

Right now you should just get one, and start filling up the tackle box
with your budget, then as you find that one lacking a little for the
lures or target fish you spend the most time fishing for, you buy
another one, then another, then another, over time. Don't go buying a
bunch of rods and reels at this point, just learn how to fish and enjoy it.

--
Rodney Long
SpecTastic tackle company

http://spectastictackle.com/
Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "Rodney Long"

snip

| I should have wrote this earlier
|
| It's just like hunting, sure there are many different rifles for
| different game and conditions,
|
| BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
|
| Someone can use a single bolt action 270 and kill everything that is
| hunted with a HP rifle in the US.
| Sure it's over kill for many animals, and a little light for a few, but
| it actually works just fine (what ever you do, don't let my wife know I
| wrote this). I own around 15 different center fire hunting rifles for
| different game and conditions. I told the wife "I had to have them"
|
| Fishing is the same, one rod and reel, and you can catch most game fish
| up to around 30 lbs, one will not be the "best" though, but it will work
| for the beginner.
|
| As you get older you add more rods and reels, I think I own somewhere
| around 40 or 50, many are duplicates (they have the same purpose) but
| made by different companies.
|
| Right now you should just get one, and start filling up the tackle box
| with your budget, then as you find that one lacking a little for the
| lures or target fish you spend the most time fishing for, you buy
| another one, then another, then another, over time. Don't go buying a
| bunch of rods and reels at this point, just learn how to fish and enjoy it.

Not surf fishing Rodney. You can't use a Rod & Reel designed for fresh water in a salt
environment. The metal can't handle it and it will corrode and will self destruct.

Secondly when surf fishing you have to get some distance past the breakers so you need a
good tall rod with good flex action so you can get your lure out there.

If anything, I suggest TWO sets. One set designed for Fresh Water and another set designed
for Salt Water fishing.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Rodney Long

David H. Lipman wrote:

Not surf fishing Rodney. You can't use a Rod & Reel designed for fresh water in a salt
environment. The metal can't handle it and it will corrode and will self destruct.

Well I wouldn't really say that, I've been using bass gear for salt
water for over 40 years, you just "MUST" rinse them off in fresh water
throughly after "each" days use. There are a couple of high dollar reels
that you absolutely can't use in salt water, because of the alloy they
are made from, these have warnings about salt water all over their boxes

I have an Ambassador 5500C that has served double duty for 35 years, and
still going strong.

Even salt water gear must be throughly cleaned after each use to last
very long

Secondly when surf fishing you have to get some distance past the breakers so you need a
good tall rod with good flex action so you can get your lure out there.

True when the fish are that far out, but I have caught thousands inside
the breakers on fresh water gear. I also use my surf rods for fresh
water striper, and cat fishing

If anything, I suggest TWO sets. One set designed for Fresh Water and another set designed
for Salt Water fishing.

I agree completely,, but you don't start out doing that on a tight budget.

--
Rodney Long
SpecTastic tackle company

http://spectastictackle.com/
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
David H. Lipman

From: "Rodney Long"

| David H. Lipman wrote:

Not surf fishing Rodney. You can't use a Rod & Reel designed for fresh water in a salt
environment. The metal can't handle it and it will corrode and will self destruct.

| Well I wouldn't really say that, I've been using bass gear for salt
| water for over 40 years, you just "MUST" rinse them off in fresh water
| throughly after "each" days use. There are a couple of high dollar reels
| that you absolutely can't use in salt water, because of the alloy they
| are made from, these have warnings about salt water all over their boxes
|
| I have an Ambassador 5500C that has served double duty for 35 years, and
| still going strong.
|
| Even salt water gear must be throughly cleaned after each use to last
| very long

Secondly when surf fishing you have to get some distance past the breakers so you need a
good tall rod with good flex action so you can get your lure out there.

| True when the fish are that far out, but I have caught thousands inside
| the breakers on fresh water gear. I also use my surf rods for fresh
| water striper, and cat fishing

If anything, I suggest TWO sets. One set designed for Fresh Water and another set
designed for Salt Water fishing.

| I agree completely,, but you don't start out doing that on a tight budget.

On a tight budget, one should concentrate on Fresh or Salt, not both. Its almost a
guarantee on doubling the costs.

I watch the other surf fisherman carefully. I often get the fish the others don't simply
because I can cast further. Often the schools of Peanut Bunker don't come in too close and
you have to "get out there" to reach the schools. If you reach the schools, you are
increasing your chances on the good Blues and Stripers.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old June 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
The Great Gazooka[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:00:16 -0500, Rodney Long
wrote:

David H. Lipman wrote:

[...]

Yeah,.....make sure you have extra money to give to Dick Short,
spammer nonpareil.