Newbie Needs Help Getting Hitched

Old August 28th, 2004, 04:54 AM
ANETA NEWTON

Default Newbie Needs Help Getting Hitched

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting a small boat and going bass fishing. However, I'm a solo and can't back into a hitch worth a flip. I've looked at various hitching 'aids' . Anybody here have any thoughts ?

What about camera systems like HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there a wireless camera system out there?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Aneta

Old August 28th, 2004, 05:37 AM
ANETA NEWTON

Charles,

That's a lot of in/out trips alone. Oh, well.

THANKS! ;-)

Aneta

--
Aneta S. Newton
teamPHOENIX

Old August 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"ANETA NEWTON" wrote in message
om...
Charles,

That's a lot of in/out trips alone. Oh, well.

THANKS! ;-)

Aneta,

That's the way everyone else has done it. Just pay attention to how
everything looks out the back window and side mirrors. Before too long, you
should be able to do it just getting out of the vehicle once or twice.

Think of it as your enforced aerobics program.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old August 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Budd Cochran

"ANETA NEWTON" wrote in message
m...
Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting a small boat and going bass fishing. However,
I'm a solo and can't back into a hitch worth a flip. I've looked at various
hitching 'aids' . Anybody here have any thoughts ?

What about camera systems like HindSight or Sure Shot? Is there a
wireless camera system out there?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Aneta

--

What are you towing with?

The type of vehicle can help a lot. For example: if you're driving an SUV,
the outside mirrors ( both of them) can be adjusted to act like a double set
of gunsights to guide you back. Just adjust them so you have the rear corner
of the SUV clearly visible. Then as you back up, keep the trailer well
centerd in the mirrors.

Another trick I've seen used is a bicycle flag poles cut down and mounted on
the same side of the car hitch and trailer tongue (example: both on the
passenger side) then a triangle of red tape on the inside mirror placed to
line up with the poles when the trailer is hitched. Then all you do keep
them lined up as you back up. Placing another bit of tape on the trailer
pole lined up so it just about disappears when you're in position can stop
you from backing too far.

And all of these cost much less than those fancy guiding devices.

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". VBG

Budd.

Old August 28th, 2004, 02:45 PM
D. Norton

Aneta, one trick is to temporarily attach a small flag to your hitch. One
that you can see out the back of your vehicle. Simply line up the center of
your tow vehicle on the flag. You can also put a small piece of colored tape
at the base of your rear window, dead center of your hitch. These aides will
give you the references you need to line things up.

--
Dave Norton
The RodMaker

Old August 29th, 2004, 02:57 AM
RGarri7470

You might want to check out http://www.ezhitch.biz/ - I saw one demostrated
last spring and it looked like it would do a good job.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:55 AM
ANETA NEWTON

Budd,

Btw, if you go with the poles and someone asks what they're for, just tell
them that they're "dumb question rods". VBG

LOL!

THANKS!

Aneta

--
Aneta S. Newton

Old August 29th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Budd Cochran

No problem, and you're welcome.

But I have to admit I used to train military truck drivers and that is where
I first used them to train drivers in trailer operations.

Budd

"ANETA NEWTON" wrote in message
. com...
Budd,

Old August 29th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

I used a telescoping pencil magnet on the hitch to mark it. just put a small piece of cloth on the pocket clip. They can be founf
at any auto parts store, or Al's favorite, Wal-Mart. Doc