Former old salt, now newbie - Spectra? A

Old September 28th, 2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
[email protected]

Default Former old salt, now newbie - Spectra? A

So about 20 years ago I quit fishing from the party boats in San Diego.
College interfered, then I moved, got married, yadda yadda yadda.

Now I've got the time and income to get back into the habit and my wife
wants me to teach her to fish. So we're going to go out on one of the
boats in October. Half-day to full-day---not decided yet.

I've noticed that a lot of the technology has changed. I've still got
my old equipment--among other things a Jigmaster 500 and a Mag-force
reel, plus a Penn spinning reel (505?) that should be sufficient for
the wife to start her experiences on. And my self-built custom rods.

I'm trying to get a handle on all the changes that have happened and
one in particular that has stumped me is Spectra lines. Seems to be
that it's great if you've got a low-stretch application, but for just
tossing iron or bait fishing it's not the ideal solution? Thoughts,
comments?

Also, any substantial changes to jigs since the day? I've still got my
old Tady, Salas & Krokodile lures. Still tying the line directly to the
lures? Any reason that I can't use those lures still?

Thanks!

Bob
Huntington Beach, CA

Old September 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Go on a 1/2 or 3/4 day boat. The one days are an overnight boat. Stick
with the mono for now, all the fish locally to SD are very catchable with
the mono, and you do not have as big a tangle problem with the mono. Braids
will saw off most mono, Do a mid week trip, as the boats will be very
limited load. I recommend going out of Seaforth on Mission Bay as the
parking if easier and free. Plus you can go down the street to Mission
Beach and get a pizza or Calzone at Luigi's. The iron you have will work
fine, but most of the fishing is flylining anchovies and sardines. So get
some 20-25# flourocarbon leader and some thin wire Gamagatzu live bait
hooks. From Huntington Beach, Catalina might me a nice and easy trip.
Redondo Beach sportfishing runs those.

Old October 1st, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
[email protected]

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the thoughts. I've spooled my reels with 20# and 25# line
and will spool hers with 20#. She's not able to get a day off until
the end of October, so we'll go out on Monday or Tuesday. That should
simplify her life.

Any comments on H&M Landing? I used to enjoy going out with them and as
long as the parking isn't obscene I guess it doesn't matter *too* much.

I'll take a look into a Catalina Island trip too. I just don't want
her to go rockfishing for her first trip. Something that actually gets
her attention is far preferred.

Also, any thoughts on fluorocarbon just as leader material? Vanish
seems to have a lot of detractors, but folks talk more about what they
don't like than what they do.

Thanks again,

Bob
Huntington Beach, CA

Old October 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Calif Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I use Seagaur Floro for leaders. I think it gets me more bites than using
straight spectra that I normally use. H&M is good, all the SD landings are
good. Seaforth is the one I use as it is a bike ride from the friends place
I stay at, and wife can bike over and get the truck. As to Catalina, check
the landing reports. Lots of calico and sand bass fishing, as well as white
sea bass there. Cost at H&M is not bad for parking, but you may have to
walk furthur if there are a lot of long range trips running.