Ping Riverman

Old June 24th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Padishar Creel

Default Ping Riverman

So what is your status, did you make it out of the jungle alive?

Chris

Old June 24th, 2005, 09:34 PM
riverman

Padishar Creel wrote:
So what is your status, did you make it out of the jungle alive?

Chris

Hey Chris:
Yep, I'm back in Maine for the week, safe and sound. The airlines only
lost one bag, but they found it two days later and delivered it to my
buddies house. I've spent much of the last 4 days decompressing, and
poking around for some fish. All in all, I feel 10 years younger and a
whole lot more relaxed.

I'm still on the embassy email, and am getting daily email warnings
about where not to go in Kinshasa. Sounds like there was some sort of
civil disturbance by the school the other day, someone got killed, and
during the funeral ceremony yesterday the crowd went a little ballistic
and the military was called out. Today, they are warning people to
avoid the roads around the school, and to avoid crowds. Things are
hotting up, and I'm quite glad to not be in the middle of it! My money
is still on total anarchy on the 30th, with full scale street riots and
military looting.

Tomorrow I fly off to London for my last month of grad school, then
back to Maine at the end of July for another week, then off to
HongKong. I met someone last night who does business there, and he
assured me that it's safe, beautiful, interesting, and that its gonna
be a far cry from DRC. Yay.

--riverman

Old June 25th, 2005, 01:03 PM
riverman

riverman wrote:
Padishar Creel wrote:
[...]

Just for grins, here is today's email from the embassy:
.................................................. ................
SUBJECT: TRAVEL WARNING - DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
(CONGO-KINSHASA)

1. This Travel Warning for the Democratic Republic of the Congo
(Congo-Kinshasa) reiterates the Department of State's warning to U.S.
citizens against traveling there in light of recent unrest and the
potential for more unrest in the near future. This Travel Warning
supersedes that of March 30, 2005.

2. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to the
Democratic Republic of the Congo. Despite efforts to advance the peace
process following the 2003 formation of a transitional government,
periodic fighting continues in North and South Kivu, Ituri District,
and other areas of eastern Congo. Wide-scale civil unrest broke out in
May and June 2004, with rioting and looting in many cities, including
the capital Kinshasa, and resulted in United Nations (U.N.) peacekeeper
and civilian casualties. There were also civilian and police
casualties during demonstrations in several areas of Kinshasa in
January 2005 and in Mbuji Mayi in May 2005. The challenges of
implementing national elections raise the possibility of further civil
disturbance over the next several months. The extension of the
transitional government beyond June 2005 has prompted some opposition
groups to call for large-scale demonstrations in Kinshasa and
throughout the country on or about June 30, 2005.

3. Though U.N. observer forces are deployed throughout the country,
unofficial armed groups and active duty troops in parts of the country
are known to pillage, carjack and steal vehicles, kill
extra-judicially, rape, kidnap, stir up ethnic tensions, and carry out
military/paramilitary operations. The large number of rebel and
government soldiers to be decommissioned as a result of the peace
process is also a security concern. Travelers may be detained and
questioned by ill-disciplined security forces at numerous military
roadblocks throughout the country. Government-imposed curfews, not
currently in effect, could be reinstated upon short notice if the
security situation deteriorates. Visitors should restrict their
travel, particularly at night, to areas of Kinshasa where they are
familiar. In the event of political disturbances, they should avoid
the parts of the city where the disturbances occur, especially at
night. There are increased police patrols and checkpoints throughout
Kinshasa as the government seeks to maintain order and quell any
disturbances by those opposed to extending the transition. This often
results in long traffic delays and the payment of "fines" to be
allowed to pass.

4. Travelers to the Democratic Republic of the Congo routinely
experience difficulties at the airport and other ports of entry, such
as temporary detention and demands by immigration and security
personnel for unofficial "special fees." Visas are not available
at ports of entry. All foreigners, including Americans, are required
to register at the office of the Direction General de Migration (DGM)
in the commune of their place of residence. Foreigners may be asked to
show their "jeton" (registration ticket) at security checkpoints
and when departing the country.

June 25, 2005

--riverman