Secret Weapon Sidearm Spinner bait

Old October 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Default Secret Weapon Sidearm Spinner bait

Any of you guys used this thing ?

How do you fish it? I have one in my hand, it looks like it would really
catch bass, but since I never have "really" fished a spinner bait, I
don't have a clue about presentation. I would like to give this thing a try
--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
Any of you guys used this thing ?

How do you fish it? I have one in my hand, it looks like it would really
catch bass, but since I never have "really" fished a spinner bait, I don't
have a clue about presentation. I would like to give this thing a try

Hi Rodney,

I was using a prototype SW Sidearm when I won the 2006 Northwoods Classic.
They're a great bait. I like the fact that it give a different profile and
sound signature in the water. The day I won the tournament, we had a wicked
cold front come through and I put Colorado blades on mine. I was able to
fish it slowly over the tops of submerged weed beds, the blades were going
100 mph, but because they have so much lift, I was able to crawl the lure
through the water, keeping it out of the weeds.

There's a million and one ways to fish a spinnerbait and none of them are
wrong. I've found that I like to fish them fast, then slow down and become
more erratic with the retrieve until I draw a strike. This way the fish
tell me what they want. Most times I'll fish the lure 6" to a foot under
the surface and give the rod an occasional pump. This causes the blades to
speed up, then the blades and the skirt flutter momentarily. When the speed
resumes, often times there's a fish on the lure. Or, if the water is clear
enough, I'll see the strike as the lure pauses.

The only way you can fish that lure wrong is to leave it in the tackle box!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com wrote:

"Rodney Long" wrote in message
Any of you guys used this thing ?

How do you fish it? I have one in my hand, it looks like it would
really catch bass, but since I never have "really" fished a spinner
bait, I don't have a clue about presentation. I would like to give
this thing a try

Hi Rodney,

I was using a prototype SW Sidearm when I won the 2006 Northwoods
Classic. They're a great bait.

I know it looks great, awesome design

[...]

This is what I needed to know, I thought you just threw it out and
reeled it in

Old October 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Rodney Long" wrote in message SNIP

This is what I needed to know, I thought you just threw it out and reeled
it in

Oh, like I said, there's a bunch of different ways to fish it. You can fish
it fast and high in the water column, change blades and do the same thing,
but slower. You can fish it with a pumping retrieve, stop and go, count it
down to a specific depth or slow roll it along the bottom. The ways to fish
it are only limited by your imagination.

I like to fish it over the tops of the weeds, then as it hits a pocket, stop
the retrieve and let it flutter down into the pocket. I get bit a lot doing
that too!

Old October 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

[...]

I have two of them. Joe sent me one as a sample/prototype, and I really
don't recall where I got the other one. I don't remember buying it.
Anyway. One is white and I have white willow blades on it. Since all white
is a pretty popular blade pattern here I had high hopes for it. Sadly I
just don't seem to have thrown it in the right conditions to have an amazing
day with it yet. The other one is black and blue, and I have big black
colorado blades on it. It thumps so hard it will just about jerk the rod
out of your hand. I have had a couple good days throwing that thing when
there is an algae bloom or mud in the river. Two to one all day long
against a guest in my boat throwing the same size single straight arm
colorado blade in the same colors.

Most definitely I like the concept. I mostly slow roll a spinner bait or
drop and pop in grass beds. The side arm does an amazing job in standing
timber also. Much better than any regular straight arm blade, and you can
slow roll it unbelievably slow.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com