POLL: What Is Your Favorite Fly Rod?

Old January 21st, 2006, 09:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default POLL: What Is Your Favorite Fly Rod?

POLL:
I am curious what your favorite fly rod is? What are you fishin' with these
days?
If everyone could please post your favorite Fly Rod Brand--try to limit your
answer to 2 rods only--and feel free to post any other comments.

I will start,
I prefer Orvis fly rods in general, particularly the T3 Series. There is no
words, it's just bliss for me.
Most of my gear is from Orvis, it's good stuff!
If I had to choose a second, I think it would be RL Winston Boron IIx.

--Richard Lee Merritt
www.RichardLeeMerritt.com

Old January 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Richard POLL:
Richard I am curious what your favorite fly rod is?

Winston WT 5wt 8'6"

Can't say that I'm an experienced gear *hore, but that rod seems to be
the favorite of some experienced Winston fans as well:

http://www.winstonrods.com/forum/vie...um=5&Topic=805

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default What Is Your Favorite Fly Rod?

"Richard Lee Merritt" wrote in message
POLL:
I am curious what your favorite fly rod is? What are you fishin' with
these days?
If everyone could please post your favorite Fly Rod Brand--try to limit
your answer to 2 rods only--and feel free to post any other comments.

I will start,
I prefer Orvis fly rods in general, particularly the T3 Series. There is
no words, it's just bliss for me.
Most of my gear is from Orvis, it's good stuff!
If I had to choose a second, I think it would be RL Winston Boron IIx.

--Richard Lee Merritt
www.RichardLeeMerritt.com

Well Richard...that is a very hard question to answer because the paramaters
are so wide. If you mean *trout* rod...it's a Sage XP 590-4.

But here near the coast of Maine we do as much (or more) salt Striper
fishing than we do trout...and for that it's an old (1st Generation) Sage
RPLX (no i or Xi2) 990-3.

For Bass and Bonefish a Scott STS 907-3. So the answers to your question
would generate perhaps a bit more concensus if the paramaters get narrowed a
bit.

Dave M

Old January 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Those interested in the "best" rod issue might also want to take a
look at this (probably not up to date, but still interesting):

http://www.flyfisherman.com/poll_res..._id=6966012040

Old January 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:59:23 GMT, "Richard Lee Merritt"
wrote:

POLL:
I am curious what your favorite fly rod is?

Why?

What are you fishin' with these days?

If everyone could please post your favorite Fly Rod Brand--try to limit your
answer to 2 rods only

Then I'll be REAL helpful and limit my answer to 0 rods...

--and feel free to post any other comments.

In that case....with you being a writer and all, not to mention one with
a vast 18 months or so of FFing under your belt, is there any chance you
are trying to cobble together a "gimme," not to mention approach vendors
with the story/information, hoping for freebies?

I will start,

Well, it's a start, I suppose...

I prefer Orvis fly rods in general, particularly the T3 Series. There is no
words,

Must be a tough thing for a writer...always remember, words and grammar,
um, is your friends...and BTW, Orvis makes more than 2 rods only,
particularly (and in general) in the T3 series...only...

it's just bliss for me.
Most of my gear is from Orvis, it's good stuff!
If I had to choose a second, I think it would be RL Winston Boron IIx.

Oh, lordy, lordy...

Old January 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Write away. I prefer the ADG Titan 8' 4 wt for my trout fishing in PA.
Thing is as slow and gentle as a ferrari on nitrous. Just wish I had
an 8'6" 4wt.
For carp and stripers its my Sage RPL 9'6" 8 wt. Gonna get a work out
this Summer in Omaha.

And now, we turn the book writing over to Messr Knight who will tell
you about his favorite rod (30-year timeline with daily increments
attached).

Frank Reid

Old January 21st, 2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
oups.com...

And now, we turn the book writing over to Messr Knight who will tell
you about his favorite rod (30-year timeline with daily increments
attached).

Sorry 30 years ago I was in Bait Casters, Deep Sea rigs and bass boats.

but the abridged version would be

T&T Heritage 8' 4wt
Winston 81/2 5wt WT
Sage 389LL

Old January 21st, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I just bought a sage SLT 4 weight as a christmas present to myself that I am
sure will become my favorite, I also made a 6'6" 3 weight that I use for for
the small runs that hold those beautiful brooke trout that I love to fish
for so much.

Old January 21st, 2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 21 Jan 2006 07:04:47 -0800, "Frank Reid"
wrote:

Write away.

JFTR, I've nothing against a writer asking questions for a piece (or
even a peace) as long as they are up front:

"I'm a writer, aspiring writer, Lefty "DA MAN!!" Kreh and I'm old,
arthritic, and tired - if I have to do one more muthaflockin
"sportsman's show," I'm gonna eat my .38, so can ya help a fella out
here doing a story on how the meniscus retards the rod loading when
quadruple-hauling Gink over the gunwales...you stupid idiot.... Here's
how you can help me out: whatever. Please know that you will, won't,
might be, I'll ask first quoted, and if it is published, I'll post the
details (oh, please, dear mother-of-mercy, let it be published - baby
needs a new Salem Boronoboofiberphite SuperSupremo XYZ Ltd. II...)."

TC,
Old January 21st, 2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Richard Lee Merritt wrote:
POLL:
I am curious what your favorite fly rod is? ...

If I were to reply, the fly rod I'm using at the moment,
that wouldn't be as smartassed as it sounds. There are
many variables, sitting in a canoe or standing, wide open
casting or heavy cover, calm day or wind blowin' like hell,
fishing size 24 midges or heaving half a ton of deer hair
etc. etc.

So you see it's not really practical to have but one or
two favorites.

In no particular order:

In a canoe fishing for bluegill: Winston IM6 9' 3wt
Standing in a gale fishing for trout: Sage 590-4 RPL
Standing in a wide open stream fishing for trout: Sage 490-4 LL
Crawling on my belly fishing for brookies: Winston IM6 7.5' 3wt

--
Ken Fortenberry