how to catch bass in cold water

Old January 30th, 2004, 04:32 PM
mike

Default how to catch bass in cold water

I live in Bradenton Fl the water is in the 50's what do I do to catch
bass? I know their metabolism slows down dramticaly when the water
gets cold. Should I wait for the water to warm up? Fish for other
species of fish? Even fishing in the bay for spotted sea trout and
red fish is bad because of the cold water. This pond is a big circle.
The deepest parts of it are about 12 feet deep. On my hummingbird
smartcast fish finder I mark fish down the shoreline maybe ten feet
out. What lures and patterns should I fish to catch them.
Old January 30th, 2004, 05:25 PM
AJH

I like suspending jerk baits for cold water, a Rapala Husky Jerk or a
Smithwick suspending Rogue, crank them down and slowly jerk them back to
the boat..pause some times too..

"If you go to bed stupid, you will wake up stupid"

Old January 30th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

I've been doing well on Gils new big worm (Texas rig) or a Junebug Senko (wacky rig) here. The upper Myaka lake (in the state park
off of rt. 72 near Sarasota) is good now although it's very shallow and has lots of gators. Bill P.

Old January 30th, 2004, 07:09 PM
alwayfishking

Did you say water temp was in the 50's? and refer to it as cold water bass
fishing in the same sentence.
om...

Old January 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Mike Kirouac

As it relates to seatrout and redfish when winter north winds drive the
water out of the bay it¹s time to hit the potholes. It¹s a time when one
hundred percent of the fish are in ten percent of the water.

Mike Kirouac

Boner Custom Rods

www.BonerRods.com

Old January 31st, 2004, 02:07 AM
RichZ

Mike wrote:
the water is in the 50's

That is NOT cold water. Jerkbait fishing usually starts to kick in in the
mid-to upper 40s in the spring, and peaks in the upper 50s.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old January 31st, 2004, 02:49 AM
go-bassn

Actually it's extremely cold water by Florida standards Rich. And Florida
strain bass typically shut-down under these conditions. They're a whole
different animal than the tough, Northern bass we're used to up here. When
a cold front rolls through Florida it's very tough to buy a hit.

Warren

Old January 31st, 2004, 02:59 AM
Acee

Is that excerpted from a subject in your new book? I am getting anxious, as
in eager.
Al Crumrine

Old January 31st, 2004, 03:02 AM
John Kerr

Cold water bass....fish over em, under em, and through em.....fish
slower, then slower....if that doesnt work, fish faster, then
faster....start with 3 different top waters, then swich to 3 different
spinners, then 3 different plastics....fish all of these baits and
patterns in shallow, mid, and deep water....repeat all of the above
until you find the cold water pattern for your lake....then stick with
it! grin
JK