suggestions for a FF backpack

Old January 20th, 2004, 12:58 AM
rw

Default suggestions for a FF backpack

Mike Connor wrote:

Yeah, why just get wet, get soaked, and freeze to ****ing death. At least
you didnīt have to carry much.

The guy was posting from Southern California. My guess (reckless though
it might have been) was that he was planning on backpacking in the
Western US Sierras or Rockies in the summer. Most of that country
doesn't require a tent. The weather is very reliable. A tarp and a
groundcloth will do. If you can keep your bag dry, you're just fine.

Tents are for the paying dudes.

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Wolfgang

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Lazarus Cooke wrote:
In article , eric paul zamora
wrote:

i'm looking for something which offers enough room for waders and maybe

small one person tent. tie ons for a sleeping bag would be good too of
course.

The trouble with this is that it amounts to a huge amount of gear.

Absolutely right. That's a lot of gear to carry. Leave the waders
behind, and also the tent, unless there's a good chance of severe
weather. The lighter you pack the more you'll enjoy yourself.

Are you hiking in the Sierras in the summer? If so, a tent is unnecessary.

Excellent advice!

Wolfgang
who knows that wind and rain are impossible.....at night.....in the
summer....in the sierras.

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Willi

Mike Connor wrote:

SNIP

Leave the waders

behind, and also the tent,

Yeah, why just get wet, get soaked, and freeze to ****ing death. At least
you didnīt have to carry much.

When I'm doing an overnighter in the Summer to a local small stream, I
don't pack waders or a tent. IMO, sleeping out under the stars is great
if there aren't alot of bugs.

Willi

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:07 AM
rw

Willi wrote:

When I'm doing an overnighter in the Summer to a local small stream, I
don't pack waders or a tent. IMO, sleeping out under the stars is great
if there aren't alot of bugs.

It's funny how people think they just HAVE to have a tent, like it's
going to protect them from grizzlies or something. Unless you're making
an assault on Annapurna or something similar, the backpacking tent,
pound for pound, a most dispensable piece of gear.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:22 AM
daytripper

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:07:54 -0700, rw
wrote:

Willi wrote:

When I'm doing an overnighter in the Summer to a local small stream, I
don't pack waders or a tent. IMO, sleeping out under the stars is great
if there aren't alot of bugs.

It's funny how people think they just HAVE to have a tent, like it's
going to protect them from grizzlies or something.

They're just being thoughtful.
The bears can use the tent to wipe their rears after dining...

/daytripper (hth ;-)
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Bob Patton

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Willi wrote:

When I'm doing an overnighter in the Summer to a local small stream, I
don't pack waders or a tent. IMO, sleeping out under the stars is great
if there aren't alot of bugs.

It's funny how people think they just HAVE to have a tent, like it's
going to protect them from grizzlies or something. Unless you're making
an assault on Annapurna or something similar, the backpacking tent,
pound for pound, a most dispensable piece of gear.

You don't have to have a tent - but you do have to stay dry. And it's great
to be able to see the stars. That's why I like my bivy sack. It weighs less
than two pounds, but it accomplishes both of those objectives. I think Mr.
Zamora said he's in Fresno, and I'm not familiar with the Sierras, but
almost everywhere I've fished, it really helps to stay dry.
Bob

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:41 AM
rw

Bob Patton wrote:

I think Mr.
Zamora said he's in Fresno, and I'm not familiar with the Sierras,

They're really dry in the summer. Really dry.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:56 AM
eric paul zamora

(chuckling)

GREAT responses. thanks everyone....

southern california??? UGH. (sorry ;-). i'm in fresno, ca, centrally
located if you forget North Fork, Ca's claim of being geographic center of
the state (just downt he road a bit towards yosemite natl park).

i have an old (circa 1980s) MEI internal backpack which if i remember
correctly, killed my shoulders the last time i used it. too many tortillas,
perhaps. i'm thinking i purchased a pack back then =tailored for smaller
frames, even IF there was some adjustment possible. in the new millimeum,
and with a tough of gear-whoredom instilled thanks to FFing, i'm looking for
something new.

perhaps it's my boyscout background, or the always be prepared motto
instilled in me by my father, pre-scout years, or the annual newsreports i
hear of people getting caught in the sierra (my backyard, now wouldn't THAT
be embarrassing!), but i'd like to be prepared for several possibilities
when it comes to changing weather, and i AM thinking of the yosemite high
country, specifically the lyell fork of the tuolumne river, over 9,000 feet
in elevation. the weather CAn change within hours.

here's what i'm hashing over. a new tent. since i like soloing, i'm thinking
of a very light one person thing, like the MSR offerings. very small packed
down, and has the option of leaving the ground cloth at home for overhead
and side covering thereby reducing pack size/weight considerably. this would
help with the constant barrage of mosquitos i have encountered up there in
the past.

i plan to start visiting that area once the high road opens, usually end of
may or sometime in june. possibility of snow on the ground at that time. my
plans also include visiting the area throughout the year until the road
closes, right around my birthday in mid november. this would encompass many
weather situations. as much as i like sleeping under the stars, and believe
me i would take those opportunities as they arises, one has to be prepared.

as for waders, at this time, this hour,m this week, i'm counting on taking
them . the pack problem is i picked up a new pair of orvis clearwater BOOT
foot waders for a steal, hardly the best packable solution. i'm also
mullingover the puchase of a pair of waist high and lightweight wading
boots. wet wading is also a possibility, but that area is fed by glaciers
and my last trip up there, the water was COLD, even thought the air was
warm.

'tis true, one can go overboard in packing and believe me, i'm no fan of
backpacking, especially after taking (pack) horses on an editorial photo
assignment a couple of years ago. still, i need to be somewhat self-reliant
and will travel reasonably light. hence my whisperlite stove, lightweight
layering clothes, small down bag, minimalist FF gear (looking at 5-7 piece
setups like the wayfarer and stowaway), etc etc etc...

sorry for not including more info and for not checking back sooner. it's
been a long day. i do truly appreciate the info so far. helpful, and very
very funny.

by the way, what's up with these trendy, cool-looking FF company offerings?
nowhere do they list cubic inch capacity measurements??? hardly practical.

i think, if i don't find something to satisfy my fly fishing company GW
factor (gear whoredom), i will turn to standard backpacks and make do. these
days, i am amazed at the myriad of choices out there. hell, i even saw ralph
lauren-branded packs a month ago. sheesh.

ps, i don't think for a second that a tent would protect me from a species
that's been wiped out ;-) even IF they were still in existence in this
area.

just another "paying dude" lost in the sierra i guess...

;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:59 AM
-- Rob

(1) they're heavy, (2) they
don't provide adequate ankle protection, and (3) you really do need to keep

not too argue the point too much, but did want to mention the availability of
stocking foot hippers which eliminate (1) and (2) as potential blockers.
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Larry L

"rw" wrote

The guy was posting from Southern California.

I've made several walking trips into the Kaweah area east of Fresno and
never needed either a tent or waders. The Sierra may be one of the most
"user friendly" mountain ranges on earth ...simply a great place to hike.