What can I catch in the Murray?

Old October 21st, 2004, 06:17 PM
ASIS

Default What can I catch in the Murray?

Ive been under the imprssion that carp should not be returned to the water
in either state dead or alive and also be some distance away from the
bank... but all this info should be on the vrfish' website or similar

all in all carp is a menace and we should all try and reduce its population
where possible in humane way as well..

i dont mind a weekend of carp fishing now n then..

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Mil80C" wrote in message

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:38:22 +1000, (Old Joe) wrote:

If nothing else, you can have some good
sport on light tackle trying to get some of the European Carp onto

the
bank,
they then make great yabbie pot bait or should be simply killed and

put back
in to feed the yabbies and shrimp.

Isn't it illegal to return any carp - alive or dead - to the water?

This is correct.

You can't even dump them within a certain distance of the water.

OK, if you believe this to be so, can you please quote your reference so
that we all know the facts, The NSW Dept of Primary Industries indicated
that LIVE carp can not be used as bait, leading one to believe that DEAD
carp can and also that DEAD carp can be placed back in the river to feed

the
shrimp and yabbies.

Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:15 AM
MIL80C

"ASIS" wrote in message
Ive been under the imprssion that carp should not be returned to the

water
in either state dead or alive and also be some distance away from the
bank... but all this info should be on the vrfish' website or similar

all in all carp is a menace and we should all try and reduce its

population
where possible in humane way as well..

Hmmmm humane???? mate if you think sticking barbed steel hooks into
something, making it fight for it's life on the end of a line for personal
amusement and then slitting its throat is 'humane' then I think you have
missed something here, noone, least of all me has any intention of being
"humane" to a carp, OK?

Back to the question of killing them and sticking them back in the river,
quite apart from the great advice of checking with your state fisheries
people, can anyone give me a logical reason why a dead carp can not be
returned to the river?

Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:10 AM
JEWEL

Best I can think of is pregnancy.

wrote:

[...]

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:17 AM
MIL80C

"JEWEL" wrote in message
Best I can think of is pregnancy.

For one ignorant of the reproduction process of fish, I can understand your
concern. However, allow me to enlighten you, female fish have to expell
their (unfertilised) eggs into a suitable area and the male then produces
sperm into the water over the eggs to fertilise them, so.... dead fish do
not expell eggs, nor do they produce sperm.

Next?

Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:02 AM
Ol Stinkbait

Regarding Carp--here in Texas,over 25 years ago,Grass Carp were
introduced to many waters in order to reduce the dence vegetation. Bad
idea-duh. The sows produced like rabbits resulting in millions of water
acreage being totally destroyed for lack of vegetation. Is now up to a
$25000.00 fine to stock,own or introduce Carp to ANY Texas waters of the
female species. Personally,I love hanging these 50 lb. critters! They DO
test your tackle. Dave