Sea Trout/Salmon Fishing Easter Break

Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
james.willsden

Default Sea Trout/Salmon Fishing Easter Break

Would appreciate any advice on fishing over Easter - any early run rivers in
Scotland worth fishing this time of year? (near to Yorkshire) Reasonably
priced preferred!
Regards
Mike

Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:27 PM
pete devlin

In message , james.willsden
writes
Would appreciate any advice on fishing over Easter - any early run
rivers in Scotland worth fishing this time of year? (near to Yorkshire)

Might I suggest the purchase of a map? :O)
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
Ian D

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:43:49 GMT, "james.willsden"
wrote:

Would appreciate any advice on fishing over Easter - any early run rivers in
Scotland worth fishing this time of year? (near to Yorkshire) Reasonably
priced preferred!

One river stands out, the Till.
It's not in Scotland, but Northumberland, which is even nearer.
However it's part of the Tweed system and is administered to Tweed
rules, ie no fishing on Sundays and no rod licence required.
Sea trout in particular run the river very early and are regularly
caught in February. Ticket prices vary, but are not generally
expensive compared with more well known, but possibly inferior,
rivers.
A lot of the Till regulars spin for the sea-trout, Mepps being a
favourite, but many are caught on the fly.
Fly sizes tend to be much smaller than is usual for sea trout, and
it's common to see anglers using them as small as size 16 'wee
doubles'.
Having said that I've had them on size 8 Stoat's tails and similar
(also on size 16 Greenwells when fishing for trout and grayling, which
can be fun).

http://www.till-fishing.co.uk/ for Tiptoe Farm beat.
Ford and Etal Estate water can be good as well. There's a link on
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/VG/frlocs.html which also lists a
good few other locations.

Nearest tackle shop is in Berwick - Game Fair Shooting & Fishing, 12
Marygate, Berwick-upon-Tweed: Tel: +44 (0)1289 305119;

Best of luck
Ian D
Old March 24th, 2005, 08:46 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , pete devlin
writes
In message , james.willsden
writes
Would appreciate any advice on fishing over Easter - any early run
rivers in Scotland worth fishing this time of year? (near to Yorkshire)

Might I suggest the purchase of a map? :O)

Wet or Dry :-D
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM
james.willsden

"james.willsden" wrote in message
Would appreciate any advice on fishing over Easter - any early run rivers

in
Scotland worth fishing this time of year? (near to Yorkshire) Reasonably
priced preferred!
Regards
Mike

Hi Ian
Many thanks for your sensible reply - are there any serious "proper" fishing
newsgroups left? Or are they all full of sad people who must have nothing
better to do with their time? - suppose I must feel sorry for them.
Regards
Mike

Old March 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
pete devlin

In message , james.willsden
writes

"james.willsden" wrote in message
Would appreciate any advice on fishing over Easter - any early run rivers

in
Scotland worth fishing this time of year? (near to Yorkshire) Reasonably
priced preferred!
Regards
Mike

Hi Ian
Many thanks for your sensible reply - are there any serious "proper" fishing
newsgroups left? Or are they all full of sad people who must have nothing
better to do with their time? - suppose I must feel sorry for them.
Regards
Mike

My my,
You're a bit touchy aren't you? They say that Yorkshire folk are
miserable. You kind of prove them right. I live in Scotland. None of it
is near to Yorkshire. There is a small river you may have heard of
called the Tweed which is probably the closest one to you. It has fish
in it at this time of year. There are people around with a sense of
humour too, which is nice.
As far as newsgroups go, things _have_ gone downhill haven't they? I
remember when people used to know how to post and not reply to their own
posts but address it to someone else. Nnnnyyyyeeeeerrr, it weren't like
that in't old days.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:53 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , james.willsden
writes
Hi Ian
Many thanks for your sensible reply - are there any serious "proper" fishing
newsgroups left? Or are they all full of sad people who must have nothing
better to do with their time? - suppose I must feel sorry for them.
Regards
Mike

Slow down Mike/James/Fred/Tom or whatever your name is, it isn't even
April yet, the best is to come.

If you want an interesting NG with lively intelligent content try ROFF.

Best not write anything theirr flames span the Atlantic :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Dave P

Hi Ian
Many thanks for your sensible reply - are there any serious "proper"
fishing
newsgroups left? Or are they all full of sad people who must have nothing
better to do with their time? - suppose I must feel sorry for them.
Regards
Mike

I'd look here Mike,

http://flyforums.proboards30.com/index.cgi