Whiting Hackles

Old January 11th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Hooked

Default Whiting Hackles

I just bought a Whiting Farms Herbert Miner Dry Fly cape today. A sticker in
the package says it's a "Pro Grade." I went to the Whiting Farms website to
see what quality this is. Their site lists Bronze, Silver, Gold and
Platinum, but no "Pro Grade." Does anyone know where the "Pro Grade" fits
into their quality standings?

Old January 11th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Stan Gula

"Hooked" wrote in message
I just bought a Whiting Farms Herbert Miner Dry Fly cape today. A sticker

in
the package says it's a "Pro Grade." I went to the Whiting Farms website

see what quality this is. Their site lists Bronze, Silver, Gold and
Platinum, but no "Pro Grade." Does anyone know where the "Pro Grade" fits
into their quality standings?

Their Pro Grade is below Bronze. Some breeders would call it Tyer or
Commercial Grade.

Old January 11th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Hooked

"Stan Gula" wrote in message

Their Pro Grade is below Bronze. Some breeders would call it Tyer or
Commercial Grade.

I guess you really do get what you pay for then.

Old January 11th, 2004, 11:02 PM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:10:52 GMT, "Hooked" wrote:

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
.. .

Their Pro Grade is below Bronze. Some breeders would call it Tyer or
Commercial Grade.

I guess you really do get what you pay for then.

Let me know how they work. I wasn't that impressed with the Keough Tyers
grade but I was thinking of getting a couple of Whitings Pro grade for my
less often used colors.

g.c.
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Hooked

"George Cleveland" wrote in message

Let me know how they work. I wasn't that impressed with the Keough Tyers
grade but I was thinking of getting a couple of Whitings Pro grade for my
less often used colors.

g.c.

Sure. When I get around to it. I took a drive out to Madison to check out
"Madison Outfitters," only to find out that they went out of business at
the end of the year. I just got my new Orvis catalog in the mail Friday and
they were listed as an Orvis retailer. Go figure.

Anyway, I stopped at Dorns there in Madison. They had several of these
hanging on the wall for $20. Figured, for that price, what the hell. Only
after I went on the internet at www.whitingfarms.com and posted my original
message and Stan replied, did I find out that they were bottom end capes. I
just bought it (a dark dun) for the hell of it. No real patterns in mind.
Just thought I'd buy it to have on hand.

Maybe next weekend I'll tie something with it. After I get done tying for
the swap. I already have 35 done, so who knows.

Old January 12th, 2004, 12:01 AM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:41:29 GMT, "Hooked" wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, Dorns eh? My brother has worked for Dorns for over a decade at the
Oregon (WI for benefit of non-Cheesers) store. He should be getting home
any minute now. Have to give him a ring. By the way I've always been *very*
satisfied with Whiting #3 grade necks so I wouldn't feel too bad about
getting the next grade down, probably still better than the Metz #1s of a
decade and a half ago.

g.c.
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:03 AM
George Cleveland

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:41:29 GMT, "Hooked" wrote:

"George Cleveland" wrote in message

Let me know how they work. I wasn't that impressed with the Keough Tyers
grade but I was thinking of getting a couple of Whitings Pro grade for my
less often used colors.

g.c.

Sure. When I get around to it. I took a drive out to Madison to check out
"Madison Outfitters," only to find out that they went out of business at
the end of the year. I just got my new Orvis catalog in the mail Friday and
they were listed as an Orvis retailer. Go figure.

The employees were told about the closing the second week in December.
Quite a shocker.

g.c.

Old January 12th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Jamie Caddick

I just purchased a Hebert Miner Pro Grade Saddle and it is better than the
Whiting bronze grade that i bought only a few months ago. The avg. feather
length is about 12" with some of them pushing 15", can't wait to start some
Royal Coachmans using this stuff.

Jamie

http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com

Old January 12th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Jamie Caddick

See how good that hackle is, i couldn't even type Royal Wulff. I am sure you
will be pleasantly surprised with it.

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Hooked

"Jamie Caddick" wrote in message
See how good that hackle is, i couldn't even type Royal Wulff. I am sure

you
will be pleasantly surprised with it.

I hope so, although I didn't notice any hackles that were 12-15 inches long.
Mostly about 6-8 inches. They are pretty uniform in barb size along the stem
though. I'll try a few dries this weekend and let ya'll know how they are.