some nymph-strike indicator info

Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default some nymph-strike indicator info

A while back I was asking for some advice on Fishing Nymphs and gleened some
really good info out of the posts that came up about how to fish and where
in the water column, etc.

I have been looking around since then for info on use of strike
indicators... I hope to get some Fish Pimps in my shop.
But I came across the following article that I thought was great and maybe
some other folks could use as well. It also cleared up a lot of mystery for
me around tying on an indicator and how they should work. I tried the
suggestion of using a wulff as an indicator but had a bit of a hard time
keeping it from going under too quickly.

I am going to tie a mess of these up tonight but using a blob of puffy
fabric paint in the center instead of the indicator yarn.

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/indicators/

But as an added note, When I got to the hardware store I found the 5/16
o-rings to be a bit bigger than I thought they should be. I got a bunch but
also picked up some of the next two sizes down.
There was a bunch of other cool stuff on this site too. The author is
apparently a big fan of "Trout" by Dr. Bergman. One of my favorite books...
but one that I can never get through without drifting off to sleep.
*grumble* I wish I could retain everything in that book in my peewee sized
brain.

--
flies from $5.60 per DOZEN!
Rods/Reels and Gear

Old May 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 5/3/06 5:07 PM, in article
, "Wayne Knight"
wrote:

be careful, folks might accuse you of using pom-poms.

wayne
been there been accused.

I've got to admit, you sure could see the thing!

Bill

Old May 5th, 2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I've experimented with making strike indicators that way, too,
although I wasn't smart enough to think of using the latex.

But I've found that although poly has an s.g. less than water, and so
will float, it doesn't have enough excess bouyancy to float if it's
supporting a weighted nymph. Before long, it begins to submerge.

So I've been experimenting with substituting closed-cell foam for the
poly. Ugly, but works better.

vince
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Just an aside:

When ever the strike indicator subject comes up
I'm always tempted (and I seldom resist temptation)
to say "why not use a foam dry fly as the indicator instead,
the fly catches fish and the yarn indicator doesn't."

Invariably, someone else says "because you can't move
the foam fly up and down the leader, so it's not as 'depth'
versitile"

But it's worth pointing out that isn't entirely true.
I sometimes put a foam hopper way up the leader,
so it attaches to 20lb test, for instance, in order to
make an extra-long dropper, for extra depth.

The foam hopper indicator still works, and fish still
bite it. It may not move as quickly or conveniently,
but you can put it at (almost) any leader position you want.
And it still does catch fish, which yarn will never do.

Old May 5th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote:

to say "why not use a foam dry fly as the indicator instead,
the fly catches fish and the yarn indicator doesn't."

If God had meant for man to use foam on dry flies, then birds would
bounce

Old May 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I shot a Hungarian Partridge once, near Stanford Montana,
that fell out of the sky in a small cloud of feathers
and then bounced off the top rung of a metal fence,
and fell inside a missle silo enclosure.

Old May 5th, 2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wayne Knight wrote

If God had meant for man to use foam on dry flies, then birds would
bounce

If you have ever been goose hunting over dry land, you'd know that's just
not true.
The big ones bounce several feet.

--
Rusty Hook
Laramie, Wyoming

Old May 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tim J. wrote:

So THAT'S where WKRP got the idea!

Nope, they got it here http://asms.k12.ar.us/armem/tatum/ttrot.htm