Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/13/05

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Capt Gene Kelly

Default Montauk Sportfishing Report 6/13/05

6/5/05

The Star Island Yacht Club is holding their shark tournament next weekend,
and they've gone back to the old format of fishing on Friday and Saturday
only. But, the shark fishing so far this season has been non-existent. There
was a mako taken about 10-13 days ago, but that was out at Atlantis Canyon.
There may have been an blueshark or two taken locally, but I can't swear to
that, since I haven't had any reports other than "no bites". However, with
the speed of some of the boats that fish this tournament, I'm sure there
will be some decent fish brought in. The tournament that involves catching
tagged fish will also start next weekend, but since no sharks have yet been
tagged, it is unlikely that any thing will happen with that for a while. For
more info, check in with Star Island at 631 668 5052.

If by some chance you happen to win the shark tournament and need a case or
two of champagne to celebrate, there's a new wine emporium in town, one
without the headache of trying to find a place to park. Joe Gaviola has
opened his "Finest Kind Wines & Liquors" right in Montauk Harbor. It's in
the new stone building on West Lake DR, next to the Sail Inn.

Inshore fishing is best decribed as erratic. When I say that bass fishing is
good, I mean that most of the charter boats are limiting out on a half day
trip. The way it is now, it might be poor in the morning and good or even
great in the afternoon, or vice versa, and the next day. Fluke fishing is
pretty much the same, although there are still some real nice fish being
taken, with pool winners on the party boats regularly around seven pounds or
so.

If you would like to have these reports sent to you directly, just drop me a
note at . And for more information about
fishing in Montauk, you can give me a call at 800 280 5565 or check out
http.//www.montauksportfishing.com.

--

Capt Gene Kelly
Montauk Sportfishing - 800 377 1197