Raising Red worms

Old June 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Dave[_5_]

Default Raising Red worms

What's a good food for raising red wigglers? I raise mine in a large
plastic tub. I have a huge crop that is reproducing with a lot of eggs in
the tub. My bedding consists of corn cob dust, and peat moss which I keep
moist. I've been mixing the bedding with Gravy Train dry dog food. I also
sprinkle yellow corn meal on top and lay folded newspaper on top and wet it
down. I am careful not to mix in the corn meal because it will sour and kill
all the worms as I have learned the hard way in the past. I would appreciate
knowing what you all, who raise their bait use for worm food. I am
primarily a Blue Gill, Crappie, and Channel Cat fisherman. Also, how do you
protect your worms from dying in the wintertime? I kept mine in our attached
garage which gets cold, but not freezing. A lot of them crawled out of the
tub and were spread all over the garage floor and died. Thanks a lot for
your information and help.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4152 (20090612) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old September 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hanric98 Hanric98 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Hi Dave and gitancredi,

I read this post about how to take care and what to feed your red wiggler worms.

Worm Composting with Red Wiggler Worms: Choosing the Right Compost Materials
Worm Composting: Care for Your Red Wiggler Worms

I hope these articles help. =)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
♂Sod BusterΩ

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Cow patties between wet and dry crushed up in rich dirt or food waste.
Cornmeal, compost, fertile dirts/waste, and such. Waste from the barn,
chicken manure. A little moss dirt, cow patties, chicken manure, and those
types of things worms do love.
SodBuster

Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Steve B

"?Sod Buster?" wrote

Cow patties between wet and dry crushed up in rich dirt or food waste.
Cornmeal, compost, fertile dirts/waste, and such. Waste from the barn,
chicken manure. A little moss dirt, cow patties, chicken manure, and
those types of things worms do love.
SodBuster

Whoa, bubba. I have been wanting to start an earthworm section in my
garden, and was wondering what to do. I got a dozen cows next to my house
that the neighbor raises. Cowpies I got. Thanks for the info.

Steve

Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
♂Sod BusterΩ

"Steve B" wrote in message
news

"?Sod Buster?" wrote

Cow patties between wet and dry crushed up in rich dirt or food waste.
Cornmeal, compost, fertile dirts/waste, and such. Waste from the barn,
chicken manure. A little moss dirt, cow patties, chicken manure, and
those types of things worms do love.
SodBuster

Whoa, bubba. I have been wanting to start an earthworm section in my
garden, and was wondering what to do. I got a dozen cows next to my house
that the neighbor raises. Cowpies I got. Thanks for the info.

Steve

Those cow patties are just about good for anything, and, I do mean anything.
Around a barn, where cows, pigs, horses, chickens, and other animals reside,
you can find ring necks, if the ground is moist. Ring necks were always the
best for river fishing and pond fishing, they beat red wigglers and such by
a mile. Just be sure there are no fire ants nor any other ants within a
hundred yards of your worm beds. Yep, I was reared on a farm and it was
hard work, but we did learn how to fish and hunt because we had to eat.
SodBuster

Old December 3rd, 2009, 01:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
♂Sod BusterΩ

"Steve B" wrote in message
news

"?Sod Buster?" wrote

Cow patties between wet and dry crushed up in rich dirt or food waste.
Cornmeal, compost, fertile dirts/waste, and such. Waste from the barn,
chicken manure. A little moss dirt, cow patties, chicken manure, and
those types of things worms do love.
SodBuster

Whoa, bubba. I have been wanting to start an earthworm section in my
garden, and was wondering what to do. I got a dozen cows next to my house
that the neighbor raises. Cowpies I got. Thanks for the info.

Steve

By the way, you could save money raising your garden by using cow patties as
well for fertilizer. Liquid nitrogen and cow patties do wonders.
SodBuster

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:24 AM
anddrewcraig anddrewcraig is offline
Junior Member

Cornmeal, compost, abundant dirts/waste, and such. Waste from the barn, chicken manure. A little moss dirt, cow patties, craven manure, and those types of things worms do love.