figure 8 knot

Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:25 AM
Pumper Hinkle

Default figure 8 knot

Has anyone used the figure 8 knot for tying a loop on the end of a
monofilament line? Seems like it ought to work ok.

Ralph

Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Larry Rappaport"

Ralph

| Wow, that's the best knot site I've ever seen. Thanks for posting it
| Ralph.
| --
|
| Larry
| Email to rapp at lmr dot com

You might want to check out the Palomar knot which is probably the best terminal knot.
http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old September 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Larry Rappaport

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:53:55 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
wrote (with possible editing):

You might want to check out the Palomar knot which is probably the best terminal knot.
http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

Thanks for that, but the palomar seems to be close to impossible for
small hooks on either leaders or regular 4 lb. test. It's hard or
impossible for me to get two thicknesses of line through the eye of
the hook.

Best,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Old September 4th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Bob La Londe

"Pumper Hinkle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Has anyone used the figure 8 knot for tying a loop on the end of a
monofilament line? Seems like it ought to work ok.

Ralph

I used to use it routinely for attaching a bell sinker to the end of a bait
rig with a couple dropper lood further up the line for my snelled hooks. I
would not use it for attaching an expensive crank bait. Probably the
perfection loop is best for that. Personally I prefer to tie a duolock snap
on the end of my line if I want a more free swinging bait at the end of the
line. I tie it with a Trilene knot. In my experience it is stronger than a
Palomar, and I have been tying it for nearly 30 years so I can tie it easier
and faster.

For those knot officianados, a friend of mine recently tried side by side
strength tests between unis, palomars, and Trilenes for terminal tackle. He
concluded that 80% of the time the Trilene took more force to break than the
Palomar, but he had better results than either with a uni. He said he tied
each knot about 20 times with two different strengths of mono and pulled on
them until they slipped or broke.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Spinnerbait Tackle Kit

Spinnerbait Tips & Tricks Contest
Through the Month of September 2005

http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old September 5th, 2005, 05:55 AM
David H. Lipman

From: "Larry Rappaport"

| On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:53:55 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| wrote (with possible editing):

You might want to check out the Palomar knot which is probably the best terminal knot.
http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

| Thanks for that, but the palomar seems to be close to impossible for
| small hooks on either leaders or regular 4 lb. test. It's hard or
| impossible for me to get two thicknesses of line through the eye of
| the hook.
|
| Best,
| --
|
| Larry
| Email to rapp at lmr dot com

I have no problem from 4 lb. test to 17 lb test, from Fresh Water to Surf.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old September 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Larry Rappaport

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:40:59 GMT, wrote (with
possible editing):

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:08:49 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Pumper Hinkle" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

You can just about double the breaking strain of any knot by (line
size permitting.) running the line twice through what ever it is
you're tying to; hook, swivel, lure.

Sort of like an "Anchor Hitch."
http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Anchor_hitch.htm

I've done that as well. I've even starting using those little gadgets
made up of very fine wire for threading hooks in the 18 plus range,
but I can't ever seem to get two thicknesses through the eye of such
small flies.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com