feathers and tying flys with them

Old April 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default feathers and tying flys with them

newbe question number one , I have a snow goose just shoot this
spring and would like to ty some flys with it the feathers i am green
as can be can any one help- point me in a direction I not sure which
feathers to keep or what kind of flys are possible to ty with them

Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"edventures" wrote in message
oups.com...

newbe question number one , I have a snow goose just shoot this
spring and would like to ty some flys with it the feathers i am green
as can be can any one help- point me in a direction I not sure which
feathers to keep or what kind of flys are possible to ty with them

Eric Leiser's 1973 book Fly Tying Materials has generall
advice about handling and storage of feathers. Goose is
seldom used and white is of all colours the least used.
You can dye goose quill material various colours to use
where traditional formulae called for swan or condor.
No special use has yet been suggested for goose
down and the like (but no one had heard of cul de canard
20 years ago.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old April 4th, 2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

"edventures" wrote in message
oups.com...

newbe question number one , I have a snow goose just shoot this
spring and would like to ty some flys with it the feathers i am green
as can be can any one help- point me in a direction I not sure which
feathers to keep or what kind of flys are possible to ty with them

Goose is
seldom used and white is of all colours the least used.

WTF are you thinking? What are the top 10 flies for trout? I bet the
prince nymph is one. Its main components are brown goose biots and
white goose biots.
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Richard Herr Harder" wrote in message

WTF are you thinking? What are the top 10 flies for trout? I bet the
prince nymph is one. Its main components are brown goose biots and
white goose biots.

Hmm....top ten trout flies. Hard to enumerate, since there are several
versions of upwing drys that might qualify separately. Nontheless, my
thoughts, close to being in order, for the top 10 fish-catchers worldwide

Wolly bugger
GRHE
EHC
PT
Wolly worm
Adams
Parachute
Muddler minnow
Copper John
Some type of ant

Prince nymph is down around #15 or 20, in my book.

--riverman

Old April 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:
"Richard Herr Harder" wrote in message

WTF are you thinking? What are the top 10 flies for trout? I bet the
prince nymph is one. Its main components are brown goose biots and
white goose biots.

Hmm....top ten trout flies. Hard to enumerate, since there are several
versions of upwing drys that might qualify separately. Nontheless, my
thoughts, close to being in order, for the top 10 fish-catchers worldwide

Wolly bugger
GRHE
EHC
PT
Wolly worm
Adams
Parachute
Muddler minnow
Copper John
Some type of ant

Prince nymph is down around #15 or 20, in my book.

The Copper John uses goose biots as well. I believe that it is now, or
recently was, Umpqua's #1 selling fly.

Old April 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Richard Herr Harder wrote in news:rhh-2D84E0.22203703042006
@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

In article ,
"Don Phillipson" wrote:

"edventures" wrote in message
oups.com...

newbe question number one , I have a snow goose just shoot this
spring and would like to ty some flys with it the feathers i am green
as can be can any one help- point me in a direction I not sure which
feathers to keep or what kind of flys are possible to ty with them

Goose is
seldom used and white is of all colours the least used.

WTF are you thinking? What are the top 10 flies for trout? I bet the
prince nymph is one. Its main components are brown goose biots and
white goose biots.

So, you found a use for the trailing edge of the primaries, two of which
should give him nearly a lifetime supply of biots.

Now, what does he do with the rest of the goose?
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Scott Seidman" wrote ...

Now, what does he do with the rest of the goose?
--

http://tinyurl.com/ecjxv

:-)

Dan

Old April 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
k.net...
riverman wrote:
[...]

Most I've seen look more like this:
http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/jwoola...opper_john.htm

but I don't doubt that the original had biots.

--riverman

Old April 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:
"rw" wrote in message
k.net...

riverman wrote:

[...]

That version would certainly be easier to tie, and I don't see why it
wouldn't be as effective, but this is the more common tie I see.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...20204fotw.html

brians

Old April 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:
"rw" wrote in message
k.net...

The Copper John uses goose biots as well. I believe that it is now, or
recently was, Umpqua's #1 selling fly.

Most I've seen look more like this:
http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/jwoola...opper_john.htm

but I don't doubt that the original had biots.

The standard pattern uses them for the tail.

Goose biots are also used on stone fly nymphs and as bodies on dry flies.