Found a new way to fish Senkos

Old June 29th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Zimmy

Default Found a new way to fish Senkos

This past Sunday evening, I had a couple of hours to wet a line. I
wanted to stay close to home, but as hot as it was, I also wanted
someplace cool. I decided to wade the river for smallmouths. I was
fishing the Schuylkill near Leesport. The water was crystal clear and
a little low, so I decided to start off throwing a jig/plastic craw and
bounce it along the bottom to imitate a crayfish. I was getting alot
of bites, but wasn't hooking anything. I figured the fish either were
either too small to get the whole jig in their mouth or were just
biting the plastic trailer. I has a jighead in my vest wich the skirt
had come off. I decided to rig a green pumpkin senko on it and try
bouncing that along the bottom. I cast across and upstream and just
let it bounce along the bottom in the current and almost instantly I
had a bite. I set the hook and missed. Cast to the same place and
BANG, I was fighting a crazed river smallie. It was only about 13 or
14 inches long, but it fought like a demon. I had a lot more bites
that evening, but never managed to hook anything else. I'm going back
this weekend after I get some smaller Senkos in green pumpkin and maybe
cinnamon brown. Good fishing.

-Zimmy

Old June 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Bob La Londe

"Zimmy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I have caught smallies in the canals on senkos basically doing just that. I
like to cast to the ouside bank of a curve from the other side. I'll cast
upstream at an angle and take up slack as it comes down. As it gets even
and drfits down from my position I'll start stripping line out until it
starts to swing back towards my bank.

That is almost the same way I fish a live minnow with a very light split
shot to keep it down.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:16 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

It's called a "jiggin' worm" presentation, bin around fer years. Great way
to number out along outside weed edges! Lindners have it on an all time
favourite tape.
--
Steve

Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Zimmy

Steve,
I had heard of guys useing a curly-tail type worm on a jighead and
"swiming" it, but I had never heard of anyone doing it with a Senko
type worm. It was one of those things that just came together on the
spur of the moment. I almost always fish Senkos weightless, but on
this particular situation, I wanted to bounce it on the bottom in a
current much like a jig. Well rooting around in my vest, I just
happened to find an undressed jighead and the rest, as they say, is
history.

-Zimmy

Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

That's the great thing about fishing, sometimes you do things that just pay
out in spades! When you get older and your memory is going you re-invent
allot of things, (not that you are old, mind you, I'm getting that way ;-0)
then you remember, oh ya, I did this a few years ago. Jiggin' rigged craws
are good too! The lowly jig has to be the best all time fish getting way to
fish for a multitude of species. There are a bunch of different types of
jigs out there. All good, none bad, often over looked.
--
Steve