ice auger

Old November 17th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Pat_RI

Default ice auger

I am looking to purchase an gas ice auger for fishing this year and was
wondering if anyone can recommend one or what to stay away from. I know it
is a little early for this but I just want to look early.

Thanks,
Pat

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
I am looking to purchase an gas ice auger for fishing this year and was
wondering if anyone can recommend one or what to stay away from. I know it
is a little early for this but I just want to look early.

Thanks,
Pat

I believe that I have a little experience with this subject.

First of all, DON'T get an electric. Also, unless you plan on fishing for
large pike or trout through the ice, don't bother with a 10 inch hole.
They're nice, but I've done too many "One Leggers" down a 10" hole when snow
covers them up. An 8 inch auger is plenty big for 99.9% of the fish that
you'll catch.

Don't get one of those monster Jiffy Augers. They're too bloody heavy to
carry around and when ice fishing, mobility is one of the keys to success.
Get a heavy auger and you won't want to move too terribly often. It's just
too much work.

I have a StrikeMaster 8" lightweight gas auger and it's all that I've ever
needed. I've been hearing some problems with the Jiffy augers. You might
want to avoid those, look at StrikeMaster and Eskimo.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Joe Z

Snip
Don't get one of those monster Jiffy Augers. They're too bloody heavy to
carry around and when ice fishing, mobility is one of the keys to success.
Get a heavy auger and you won't want to move too terribly often. It's just
too much work.

I have a StrikeMaster 8" lightweight gas auger and it's all that I've ever
needed. I've been hearing some problems with the Jiffy augers. You might
want to avoid those, look at StrikeMaster and Eskimo.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

I agree with Steve. Jiffy USED to be king of the ice but something changed
and most everyone I know uses Strikemaster. They are like a hot knife
through butter compared to even the older Jiffys. IMHO. Joe Z.

Old November 18th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Jim Laumann

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:57:32 -0500, "Pat_RI" wrote:

I am looking to purchase an gas ice auger for fishing this year and was
wondering if anyone can recommend one or what to stay away from. I know it
is a little early for this but I just want to look early.

Thanks,
Pat

Pat

Depends on what you're going to fish for and how often you use it.

Are you in a marginal ice area? If so - I wouldn't put the money in to
a gas unit. A hand auger will drill a lot of holes, espec when you
don't have alot of ice - like up to 12" you can do nicely w/ a hand
unit. Also - a smaller hole - ie 6" cuts easier than a 8", etc.

I have a 2hp Strikemaster w/ a 7" chipper blade. Digs a plenty big
hole the fishing I do (mostly panski's and pike, sometimes walleyes).
Plenty of room for a line and the lead for your sonar.

The chipper blade is adequete for me - not the FASTEST blade, but
plenty fast for my needs - and it was cheaper. The 2hp power head is
lighter too.

My $.02

Jim

Old November 18th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Rodney

Pat_RI wrote:

I am looking to purchase an gas ice auger for fishing this year and was
wondering if anyone can recommend one or what to stay away from. I know it
is a little early for this but I just want to look early.

Thanks,
Pat

Here is something better,, read this news story
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/news/111...entors_11.html

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:24 AM
go-bassn

Do those augers float when the ice breaks & your sorry -sses fall in the
icewater?

You guys are nuts!

Warren (watching fishing shows all winter)

Old November 18th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Jim Laumann

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:24:01 -0500, "go-bassn"
wrote:

Do those augers float when the ice breaks & your sorry -sses fall in the
icewater?

Warren

No - my augers (gas and hand cranked) don't float - but I've not had
the ice break under me either. The trick is to know "when" it's ok to
be on the ice and when it isn't.

4" of clear or blue/black ice is generally safe to walk on and fish
from. Notice I said "generally" - no ice is 100% "safe". Early
and late season, having a PFD along is a nice touch, should the ice
give way. Its one of those things you learn to accept. But it can
happen mid-winter too....ie finding a spring, or a spot where a
school of carp "finned" the water under the ice, causing a thin spot.

Having a partner along when out on the ice is an insurance policy in
case something happens. Also a set of "ice claws" in your pocket in
order to get some traction for getting out....

I don't disrespect any one who chooses to stay ashore during
the ice season.

And when I said "marginal" in my post to Pat, I used the wrong
word. I should have used "short season", for geographical
areas where the ice developes late, and melts early, such as
southern Iowa/N Missouri or equivalent. Less ice thickness can
negate the need for a gas auger.

But - in its (ice fishing) favor, and to keep this post remotely on
topic, the biggest bass I've ever caught was thru the ice, a 4-4.5#
LM, caught the day after Christmas in 1998.

Jim

You guys are nuts!

Warren (watching fishing shows all winter)

.. .