The Stick Worm Phenomenon

Old April 20th, 2004, 11:26 PM
John Kerr

Default The Stick Worm Phenomenon

There was a company in California called "Real Estate Trainers inc.",
They sued me for advertising my company name, "California Real Estate
Training"....The Judge laughed them out of the court house (actually
they never got to the court house, their lawyer finally did the right
thing and advised them they were paying him for a NO WIN situation). I
can see protecting a trade mark or copyright, but for me it would have
to be something blatant, and injurious!

Old April 21st, 2004, 02:30 AM
Henry Hefner

True or not, I can't say for sure, but when I was a kid I heard there
was a suit against "Clark Kent's Used Cars", I think it was in Houston,
Tx. Anyway, the way I heard it, the lot owner won by showing his birth
certificate. That was his real birth name, and he was born before the
comic hit print.
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:04 AM
Calif Bill

"Henry Hefner" wrote in message
True or not, I can't say for sure, but when I was a kid I heard there
was a suit against "Clark Kent's Used Cars", I think it was in Houston,
Tx. Anyway, the way I heard it, the lot owner won by showing his birth
certificate. That was his real birth name, and he was born before the
comic hit print.

Years ago, worked with a guy whose last name was Emery. His uncle ran a
trucking company called Emery Freight. Emery Air Freight sued is uncle and
ended up paying the uncle a lot of money for his company name. He had been
in business longer. Was the first user of the name.

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Todd Copeland

Most people who rely on their name obtain a trademark. It only make sence.
What else would stop me from changing my name to Billy Joel and then
starting a singing career. Now, if my name was really Billy Joel and I
starting a singing career the trademark would not be enforcable. It would
need to be shown that I was making an atempt to enfringe upon the copywrite.
It's no different then a company trademarking the company name or logo. In
the case, "Billy Joel" _is_ the company name.

"J Buck" wrote in message
Want an example of trademark protection gone wild? Look at Harley
Davidson

Billy Joel has trademarked Billy Joel. Lost all respect for the guy when
I heard that. (Not that I've been that big a fan since the late 70s)

Old April 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM
alwayfishking

Call them what you want, I started using Senko's and now that there are
equivelent knock off's I have switched to them. I still refer to them as
Senkos, hell I just reach in the box for a color now, It could be a gambler,
wacko,tiki stick etc etc. When asked what I caught it with, I usually
respond " On a Senko",,, Now comes the confusing part, You catch the
world record bass on a "soft stick bait", do you tell everyone you caught it
on a small town lure company's knockoff? Or would you say you caught it on a
Senko? I'm betting the majority out there will say the caught it on one of
Gary's baits, unless directly tied into the company that actually produced
the bait. JMO
"Marty" wrote in message

Bob La Londe wrote

What do you think we should call them?

I think you answered your own question when you chose the subject of this
thread: stick worms.

Old April 29th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Marty

alwayfishking wrote in message
You catch the
world record bass on a "soft stick bait", do you tell everyone you caught

it
on a small town lure company's knockoff? Or would you say you caught it on

Senko? I'm betting the majority out there will say the caught it on one of
Gary's baits, unless directly tied into the company that actually produced
the bait. JMO

Of course, catching a world record, or a town record, for that matter, is
not even a remote possibility. But, in my naivete, I don't know why I'd say
Senko if it was another brand. Gary's a multimillionaire and doesn't need
the extra sales boost from my little white lie.

Old April 29th, 2004, 07:42 AM
AJH

The "small town " lure company might reward you with a 6 pack of baits,
think what Gary could do..

Old April 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Scott Seidman

"Bob Rickard" wrote in
om:

As a manufacturer, I can assure you that Gary Yamamoto absolutely
loves having people refer to all Senko-type baits as Senko's! When a
manufacturer's name for a product type, a name usually trademarked at
great expense, becomes used and thought of that often, it assures
continued strong sales as long as the original quality remains. I
would love nothing more than to see anglers starting to refer to all
spinnerbaits as " 'Weapons." Keep using the Senko name here; Gary
earned it.

--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Is this really true?? Most brands I can think of go very far out of their
way to avoid watering down their trademarks, based on the Kleenex
experience. Think about how BandAid ads always refer to the product as
BandAid Brand Bandages. Companies pay people to find and turn in trademark
violators.

If all soft stickbaits come to be known as Senkos, its an uphill battle to
keep people buying the original.

Scott