Help with Smallies

Old June 1st, 2004, 09:25 PM
Pat_RI

Default Help with Smallies

I am going smallmouth fishing for the first time in Maine what type of lures
should I use? Do you fish for them in the same spots where I would think
largemouths would be? Any help would be appreciated.

Old June 1st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
I am going smallmouth fishing for the first time in Maine what type of

lures
should I use? Do you fish for them in the same spots where I would think
largemouths would be? Any help would be appreciated.

"Typically", smallmouth will relate less to weeds and vegetation than
largemouth bass will. Areas with rocks and/or gravel seem to appeal more to
smallmouth, although timber, downed trees and stumps will hold both species.

On average, anything a largemouth would take will work for smallmouth, but
I'd have smaller lures available as well. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, jigs
and soft plastics will work for smallies. I catch a lot on 3" and 4" Tube
jigs, 3/8 and 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits, and 5" soft plastic jerkbaits. 4" worms
work well as does anything that resembles a crayfish.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 1st, 2004, 10:05 PM
Bob

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
I am going smallmouth fishing for the first time in Maine what type of

lures
should I use? Do you fish for them in the same spots where I would think
largemouths would be? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a lot of luck with in-line spinners of the Mepp's style. Also the
smaller minnow style of crankbaits, I prefer Rapala floaters in the #5 and
#7 size, but other brands will also work good.

I fish mostly streams and rivers, here they relate to rocks/gravel and
downed trees. I would imagine that lake fishing would be similar.

Cast far
Bob

Old June 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM
Babbling Brook Photography

I agree with Steve, stick with areas of rocks and rock drop-offs. I have
caught smallies on 9" rubber worms as well as jigs, just be ready for a
great fight when you do get a good one.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Babbling Brook Photography

Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:47 AM
Pat_RI

How about Senkos and what about tpwater lures. Thanks for the input so far
it has been helpful.
"Babbling Brook Photography" wrote
in message ...

Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:09 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Pat_RI" wrote in message
How about Senkos and what about tpwater lures. Thanks for the input so far
it has been helpful.

Senkos and topwater lures too will work under certain conditions as well,
senkos more often than topwater.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:57 AM
Marty

Pat_RI wrote in message
How about Senkos and what about tpwater lures.

A definite YES to both.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:24 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

For Smallies that arein fairly shallow water, say less than 10' deep, I like
in-line spinners and minnow plugs. For deeper fish I like tube and twister
tail jigs. If the fish are holding tight to cover, I'm pitching a wacky
rigged senko as close to the cover as I can.
One thing about smallmouth is that they seem to enjoy bright colors, even
in clear water. My all-time favorite smallmouth color is some combo of
black/chartruce. My favorite color for twistertail jigs is chartruce with
silver glitter. A spinnerbait with a black & chart. skirt and a chart. blade
can be great, but a white skirt with a white blade can be good also.

-Zimmy
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
alwaysfishking

Senkos will work good, especially black, If you want to use topwaters, try
something with a yellow belly, I read somewhere that smallies will come up
as much as 20 feet to smack a yellow bellied topwater, don't know if it's
true but worth a try. Think it was in bassmaster. If fishing rock pile try a
silver buddy. I also caught a lunker smallie last year in a tourney using a
red bladed secret weapon spinner bait

Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:03 AM
Bob Rickard

I have over the years found that stream smallies have two preferences in
spinnerbaits, which may be the deadliest of all lures for them. About 1/3rd
of the time, they want all chartreuse, both bodies & blades, and they should
be the brightest chartreuse you can find. The other 2/3rd of the time, the
big majority, they want something as natural as possible (Baby Bass,
Tennessee Shad, etc.) with smaller Willowleafs or Indianas, singles or
tandems, as the smallies' moods indicate.
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)