Senko's

Old June 27th, 2004, 12:43 AM
doS

Default Senko's

I use BPS stick-o's

"Jim L. Holweg" wrote in message
Are these baits the hot ticket for the price?
Is there another close bait for a work'n mans price!
Thanx!!

Old June 27th, 2004, 02:54 AM

Yes there is! Bass Pro Shop Stickos work just as well ( and fall apart
just as fast ) & lately I've been using Big Bites brand & been catching
fish regularly . Both these brands are much cheaper than Senkos.

Old June 27th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Marty

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Something to think about Zimmy - as much as you like bass fishing, just

how
much is a 100-fish-day worth to you? Would you pay $60 if I guaranteed

you
a century day?

What Mr Rickard is saying makes perfect sense (as usual). $7 spinnerbaits
that hammer fish are a relative bargain, as are 60-cent plastics that kick
butt.

There are a bunch of guys making imitation Senko's, but do you think Mr
Yamamoto is worried?

I think not. As for me, I'll keep shelling out my $60/100 for the real
McCoy ;-)

Warren, interesting post, but it proves very little. Sure, I'd pay $60 for a
100-fish day, but that doesn't mean that a 100-fish day can't be had for
$30.

And yes, a $7 spinnerbait that hammers fish is a relative bargain, but that
doesn't mean that there isn't a $4 spinnerbait that hammers fish and is even
a greater bargain.

Gary might not be worried because he's a marketing genius, but that doesn't
mean there aren't knockoffs that are just as good.

Naturally, you and me and everyone has to use what we have confidence in.
Even though I use Yum Dingers at times, and think they're just as effective,
I still use Senkos when I'm serious, because I'd have that nagging little
thought about whether I could do better with the original. But not everyone
has my insecurities.

I caught my best bass today on a Senko. Of course I can't prove it, but I'm
confident that any number of baits in the same place at the same time would
have caught that fish.

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM
alwaysfishking

Harry wrote"
7 fish vs 6 fish...Nuff sed bucko!

I gave you 1 :-)
..

Old June 27th, 2004, 05:13 PM
go-bassn

You're so right Marty. I wasn't trying to prove anything, just stating my
opinion. Congrats on your big fish!

Warren

Old June 28th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Marty

"go-bassn" wrote in message
You're so right Marty. I wasn't trying to prove anything, just stating my
opinion. Congrats on your big fish!

Thank you Warren. It wasn't a big fish by most standards, but I've never had
a five-pounder and, in the height of cruelty, the fishing gods made my scale
stop when it hit 4-15. She was about 22" and about 1.5# light for the length
based on our length-weight charts, even though she appeared to be normally
proportioned.

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:34 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

Something to think about Zimmy - as much as you like bass fishing, just how
much is a 100-fish-day worth to you? Would you pay $60 if I guaranteed you
a century day?

Don't get me wrong - I love senkos. Its probably the single lure that I have
the most confidence in. And I love the wide selection of colors available.
But the fact is, I just don't have an extra $60 to spend every time I go
fishing. Lucky for me I don't catch very many fish so a pack of senkos lasts
for a couple of outings.

-Zimmy
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:07 PM

One way to make Senko's last longer is use fine wire hooks of a smaller
size. I typically use 1/0 and 2/0 hooks (Gamakatsu) and when I read
about other anglers, I'll hear 3/0 - 5/0 hook sizes being used.......

I had a day on a lake filled with dinks where I caught 30 small (6 - 9
inch bass) and 3 legal bass and I used less than 10 Senkos -- and all
were caught on Senkos.

Being gentle with your casts helps -- and as a final resort, turning
them around and t-rigging them through the thin end.

I have read about -- dont have one yet -- a small battery powered
"welder" that will melt plastics together, too.

Old June 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Rodney

wrote:

I have read about -- dont have one yet -- a small battery powered
"welder" that will melt plastics together, too.

Soft plastic bait material can easily be welded, just heat both ends,,
even with a cig lighter, and push together, I have one of those high
dollar plastic welding machines (110V), but most of the time I just use
a lighter. This technique is even used by lure designers, it is quick
and easy, so no mold is needed in the preliminary testing, they just cut
up other baits, and weld them to make a new one.

The next step is a single cavity pour mold, then plastic is heated in a
microwave oven then hand poured into the mold, this gives you enough
lures exactly the same, that can be field tested, before spending 5 to
10 thousand on a production mold

For your information
A single soft plastic bait cost from 1 to 3 cents each to manufacture,
regardless of it's design, after you have paid for your mold, (this is
actual manufacturing cost),, if the company is paying another company to
shoot their lures (something that many name brand companies do) then
their cost can go as high as 5 cents each. These prices are for the bulk
lures,, without any other things like screen painting , or eyes added.

If a bag of lures is selling at the store for 6 dollars, the store paid
3.75 for them, if that bag went though the whole market chain (rep's,
wholesalers, salesmen, then the store, the manufacture will get about
2.00 dollars for that bag of 6 dollar baits, out of that, the federal
government takes 9% off the top, just for the (fishing/hunting tax),
then you have packaging cost, freight, office expenses that comes out,
GAry "might" make a half a dollar off of each 6 dollar package, but his
normal priced baits he might make a quarter per package

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old June 28th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

I have one of those welders and it's saved my butt more than once. When
you're down to the last Senko in the pack and they're hitting a particular
color, you try to save that torn piece of plastic as long as you can. I
don't smoke, so I don't carry a lighter.