Cost of a boat

Old March 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Ronnie Garrison

RichG wrote:

Heck, I was up to seven at ONE time!! Older and well used..but...
One 27 ft sailboat;
one 20 ft (new) fishing boat;
one 14 ft pontoon boat;
one 12 ft sailboat;
a 12 foot dingy;
a 15 ft canoe and
a 10 ft paddleboat.

My total cash tied up in the last four was around $1,500.00 lock, stock and
barrel. New isn't necessary, just pretty.

LOL - I was just talking bass boats. Right now I have the Skeeter, three
12 foot jon boats, and a 14 foot fiberglass fishing boat(looking for a
9.9 for it) I have a total of $390 tied up in the last four - so far.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Calif Bill

I bought a used aluminum jetboat in 1995. Now admitted these are very
expensive boats to start with (26k in 1991, 20k in 1995 and 50k new now).
But I buy stocks and other investments for income, but a boat is a toy and
health investment. My mom is 90 years old, and I was commenting that I need
to put a new engine in the boat. When I told her 6-7k she said do you like
the boat, and I said I love the boat and boating. She said then replace the
motor. She has the right attitude. No body ever layed on their deathbed
and said 'I should of spent more time at work'. I also drive a 2004 Duramax
crewcab, plus a $10k Palomino camper. That $45k+10K would return at least
$4500 / year before taxes. I could go to nice hotels for that kind of
money. But as the citibank ad states. Priceless. And forget about the
fuel that sucker sucks
Bill

"Todd Copeland" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Ronnie Garrison" wrote in message
Ever figure how much a boat cost you each year? I am talking
depreciation, not operating costs. If you figure it out you might not
buy a bass boat!

I just sold my Javelin Monday for $9500. I had $13,000 invested in it,
and kept it for three years. That works out to $1165 a year, not
counting gas, oil, batteries, insurance, tires and taxes. (here in GA we
have to pay property taxes on boats.)

To make the cost worse, I only used the boat for a little over 2 years,
and have been trying to sell it since last June.

I have looked at these costs in the past and it seems owning a bass
boat costs me about $1500 to $2000 a year. I have owned 8 bass boats
since 1974 - keeping them anywhere from 4 to 11 years. Wouldn’t swap
the memories of those trips for the money I invested tho!

If you buy new and then sell used, you will _always_ loose more money. An
hour after the boat rolls off the dealers lot, it's used and has lost

about
30% of it's value. Now look at used boats. They "hold" their value _much_
better as they started out used and ended up used. Your comparasion is

only
for going from new to used and therefore not a good generalization of boat
values.

Another example: I'm in the market to buy a used Alumnim Bass Tracker.

New,
they sell for about $10,000. I've seen these boats sell, 10 years old for
about $5000. That equals $500/year in depreciation. Again, used boats also
hold there value much better then new to used.

Old March 11th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Rodney

Carlos wrote:
A boat is like a bucket with a hole in it. You keep throwing money in
that bucket for as long as you own it.

I thought "a boat is just a hole in the water, you throw money into"

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:58:50 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
sent into the ether:

"Ronnie Garrison" wrote in message
Ever figure how much a boat cost you each year? I am talking
depreciation, not operating costs. If you figure it out you might not buy
a bass boat!

I just sold my Javelin Monday for $9500. I had $13,000 invested in it,
and kept it for three years. That works out to $1165 a year, not counting
gas, oil, batteries, insurance, tires and taxes. (here in GA we
have to pay property taxes on boats.)

To make the cost worse, I only used the boat for a little over 2 years,
and have been trying to sell it since last June.

I have looked at these costs in the past and it seems owning a bass boat
costs me about $1500 to $2000 a year. I have owned 8 bass boats since
1974 - keeping them anywhere from 4 to 11 years. Wouldn’t swap the
memories of those trips for the money I invested tho!

My brother in law and his wife were giving me a hard time about my boat,
wondering if I had figured out how much I was paying for it.

I asked them to total up the payments on his Honda Valkyrie ($13,000) and
the cost of her motorcycle (can't remember what it is, but they got a "good
deal" on it for $8,000). I asked them how much it cost for going out for
dinner and drinks 3 - 4 times a week like they do. THEN, figure out how
many times they've actually ridden the bikes each season.

I know that my boat is being used about two months before they break out the
bikes, and it's used at least one month after they put the bikes away.

Speaking of early fishing :}

It made my boat seem like a great investment.... :-)

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Bob La Londe

You know many years ago my dad was agonizing over buying his walk around
cuddy cabin for fishing. I told him. Yoi have good credit and decent
income. You can save up for it over the next X years and buy it or you can
buy it and make the payments. The difference is it will cost you more if
you buy it on credit, but you will have it next week instead of after you
retire.

He bought the boat. Since then he has added a bracket and set it up with
twin outboards. A real go fishing boat. Nice dry ride in everything but
small craft advisory weather, and even then it will get you home. It is
long isnce pauid for and he still has the boat. Can't beat that eh?

--
** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
[...]

I just cannot see how people have the balls to sit and make you justify
the things you have. First it is none of their business, second they
need to take a look at themselves and maybe analyze their finances
before "helping" me figure out mine. I get that crap all the time, and
I never ever question when someone pays $1000 for a baseball card, or
anything else for that matter. It is part of my life, it is what I work
for, if they don't see why i need it , that is fine, but don't give me
**** about it.

It is the same thing I have to hear daily in the breakroom here,
everyone bitching about having no money, yet I don't see any bars on the
windows of this place ,and there is no sniper in the corner holding them
here if they want to leave. Also doesn't seem to stop them from
spending 4 of the 7 nights of the week at the bars, dropping easily
$50/night on drinks and activities. Yet they seem to have the profound
knowledge to see my investment in a brand new outboard for a boat shell
that would just sit there and suck up my money if I didn't make the
investment as a "crazy" decision!!!!

This is obviously a subject that hits home with me daily. I just say,
to each his own, let me and my wife worry about us.

Old March 12th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Calif Bill

"Huck Palmatier" wrote in message

"Bass_Mr." wrote in message
k.net...
His point is that a boat is much more than"just a hole in the water you
pour money into".

**************************
(B)reak
(O)ut
(A)nother
(T)housand !
....said Huck

(B)end
(O)over
(A)nother
(T)ime !

Old March 12th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Calif Bill

"Ronnie Garrison" wrote in message
news
Da Chief wrote:

"Ronnie Garrison" wrote in message
.. .

Da Chief wrote:

Almost sounds like he's trying to convince himself not to buy another
boat. Whenever I want to talk myself out of something I generally find
myself "counting up the cost".

UH - I bought a new 2004 Skeeter last May to replace the Javelin - not
trying to make any point, just wondering, as I said at the beginning,

if
others had considered the cost.

Whoops! Now that you've said it I remember reading that post. I guess

I'm
just feeling frustrated right now. Retired in december with a '87 pickup

and
a '88 bass boat, with money for one not the other, UNLESS I go back to

work
somewhere. New truck? New boat? Newer truck? Newer boat? New truck now,

get
a job, buy the boat later? New boat now, get a job, buy the truck later?

OR,
rebuild the truck's engine & fix the A/C and buy newer boat? Now or

later?
See where my frustration is coming from? We, I mean I, cannot come to a
conclusion. I am beside myself and we are(I am) perplexed.

Da Chief,
All outgoing mailed scanned by
Symantec Anti-virus

I feel you pain - but I ain't Bill! My rule of thumb is to keep a truck
or boat until it leaves me stranded one time - then it is gone. That
actually never happened with the Javelin, and I bought the Skeeter just
because I made the state team and wanted a new boat to take to the
regionals. I would have sold the Skeeter and went back to the Javelin,
almost did that, guy offered me just $1000 less for the Skeeter than I
thought I needed to get for it.

Bill retired and the old pickup had 180,000 miles. And would not tow the
boat or carry a camper. The Expedition towed the boat, but would not carry
a camper. And Bill hit at least 2 companies stock programs in the silicon
valley for some bread. Not the $100,000,000 that I could of if I had taken
the job in communications in 1980 *rohm corp and instead 1.5 hours before
the offer from rohm took a job with a disk controller company. For those
that do not know the rohm history, they were one of the first big data
transmission equipment companies. Spin off were synoptics and Cisco.

Old March 12th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Calif Bill

"Rodney" wrote in message
Carlos wrote:
A boat is like a bucket with a hole in it. You keep throwing money in
that bucket for as long as you own it.

I thought "a boat is just a hole in the water, you throw money into"

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

It is said that if you want to know what it is like to race big sailboats,
that you should get in the shower, fully dressed, and turn on the cold water
full blast and stand there in the cold water and tear up $100 bills and
watch them wash down the drain.

Old March 12th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

ink.net...

"Bass_Mr." wrote in message
k.net...
His point is that a boat is much more than"just a hole in the water you
pour money into".

**************************
(B)reak
(O)ut
(A)nother
(T)housand !
....said Huck

(B)end
(O)over
(A)nother
(T)ime !

LOL, sometimes it does seem like it. Especially if you ask my wife!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com