Boat Trailer Caution

Old December 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Richard Liebert

Default Boat Trailer Caution

PS: I think I remember your post regarding your new boat quest last year.
Didn't your prospective Basstracker salesman fail to follow up with you or
treat you poorly in some way, hence you bought another boat? You have two
boats don't you?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
You have a PT185 Jet? How do you like it? I almost bought one last year.

--
Spinner Baits Tips & Tricks Contest
featuring

** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
** www.YumaBassMan.com

"Richard Liebert" wrote in

message
It is the stock jack that came on my galvonized 2003 Basstracker Jet

boat.
I'm not sure which brand it is.

I ordered a new one from BPS. It's a [Bass Pro Shops® 1000-lb. Big Wheel
Galvanized Trailer Jack]. I hope it's made well, your post has caused

some
concern.

My cast comes off Dec 27th, can't wait.

-Rick

"Huck Palmatier" wrote in message
...was it a BPS/Tracker labeled jack?....I had one for month when it
"folded".....get a Fulton. said Huck

"Richard Liebert" wrote in

message
I was putting my BassTracker Jet away last Sunday evening. Once

backed
into
the garage and disengaged from my truck hitch I started to position

it
manually by pushing on the bow. I assumed this would be a simple

task.
My
garage floor is very smooth concrete. At one point I was pushing the
trailer
in a direction that the trailer jack wheel did not want to follow.

Instead
of the wheel coming around (like a shopping cart wheel), the trailer

jack
apparently bent, then disengaged momentarily causing the trailer to
collapse
onto the top of my left foot crushing a bone. Of course I saw

starts,
freaked out a little, no make that a lot, and my wife called 911

(not
the
bass club). I am now wearing a knee high cast and hating it.

This probably happened because I once forgot to raise the jack and

drove
away. By the time I noticed that I had done this the plastic wheel

had
touched down a few times causing some minor flat spots. My guess is

that
flat spot prevent the wheel from turning on the "smooth" concrete

whereas
the wheel has always been fine on the rough surface of my driveway.

This
was
my fault, I just didn't know any better.

I guess I am partially venting here in the NG because I'm more or

less
stuck
in front of the computer with little else to do right now.

Anyway, those of you with entry level boat trailers like mine ought

take
a good look at your trailer jacks and consider upgrading, especially

if
your
jack wheel has any flat spots on it..

Please don't send flowers. Donate LM fingerlings to Van Sciver Lake

in
PA
if
you must.

Old December 12th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Bob La Londe

Actually I currently have three. Two are for sale, I have decided I want a
20+ V-hull to replace my 20 tunnel hull for exactly the waters you mentioned
in your other post. Meade and Powell. My little 16' Whacko is great down
here on the river though.

Old December 12th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Seawolf

Not fair.........three boats..........still trying to convince the wife I
need one......

Any help would be appreciated, see I come from the NorthWest where boats are
not required, however, now I'm in South Carolina (Military) and I can't
explain to her that the snakes here are poisonous, not to mention the
gators!!!!

Brent

Old December 12th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Well. my frst one I bought was a used beater that really needs a lot of work
on the hull. My wife didn't object because it was cheap, and I had been
setting aside money after the bills for just that purpose. When I decided I
wanted a decent boat I sold a bunch of motorcycles we owned, but not my
wife's bike of course, then I bought several thousand dollars worth of
expensive bay windows and installed them in the f0ront of the house. Then I
made a big deal about how I didn't the silly windows, and how much work it
was to put them in. She could very well complain then that I wanted a nicer
and safer boat to take the kids out on the river. Then I started winning
money. Amazingly quite a decent amount of money considering I have only
been seriously fishing for bass on the river for two years. I made a big
deal about handing some of the checks over to the wife, and telling her I
had my immediate stuff taken care of so she could have some of the money for
things she wanted to do. I alos set aside some. Thats what I bought the
Whacko with. That one was a cheap boat setup. I already had the outboard
and trailer I put it on. So I just had the cost of the hull. Its a pretty
cheap hull, although I had to do a lot of work to make it fishable. I added
a back deck, fishing chairs, guages, trolling motor etc etc... I dunno. It
just sorta happened. Next thing I knew I had three bass boats. I have to
say its always a compromise. Depending on the nature of your relationship
it might be as simple as convincing your wife that you really want a bass
boat, and asking her what she wants.

Of course I don't do anything half way. I also have a plastic Bass Hunter
my dad gave me, an aluminum canoe for running the lower river (between
Mexico at Morelos Dam and Laguna Dam) when its too low to put my bass boat
in, and an inflatable Sea Eagle that will take a 2.5 outboard. On top of
that I picked up a five seater peddle / paddle boat for the kids to play
with when we go to one of the ponds like Fortuna or Redondo. Actually the
peddle boat was the first boat I bought. I have fished out of it, but it
makes a huge amount of noise when being peddled, so I tend to opt for the
canoe or the Sea Eagle for smaller waters depending on the conditions.

A kayak is a decent option for a lot of small waters too, but I don't know
about gator country. I think a wide beam jon boat might be the place to
start for low mony down, then fix it up to fish out of a little bit at a
time. Here is the basic boat I started with for that.
http://www.alohapontoons.com/205016.html The basic hull sells for less than
two grand, but I got a good deal from a local dealer, and it cost about that
with several options. Including a 20" transom and side console which ups
the manuafactures Coast Guard rating to 50 HP. www.directboats.com has this
boat on sale right now by the way for $1699 for the basic boat. Hunt up a
motor and a trailer and you are ready to go. E-mail Bobby Peacock at Direct
boats and he can give you price for the options that aren't selectable from
the website.

Anyway, depending on what you want to do and your capabilities a "bass" boat
may be easier to get than you think.

--
Spinner Baits Tips & Tricks Contest
featuring