Soft plastics found in trout stomachs

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Shawn

Default Soft plastics found in trout stomachs

Warren - actually, there were 2 fish mentioned in Ronnie's article. The one
with 19 plastic worms and lizards (plus hooks) in it was otherwise healthy.
That fish was not caught by Ronnie, but by someone else who took the fish to
a taxidermist. Further along in the article however, Ronnie then says he
himself caught a bass once in Lake Martin that was skinny and in poor
health. This fish had 4 plastic worms in it's stomach, and was starving to
death. This incident was what made Ronnie finally stop throwing his
plastics into the lake.

Shawn

"go-bassn" wrote in message
The article says the bass was healthy Shawn...

Warren

"Shawn" non@non wrote in message
Read your article Ronnie - it's a good message and one that should get

out
there more often. I hope it doesn't take each angler to find a skinny

fish
full of plastic to stop throwing them out like that. I have to admit

that
years ago I used to do the same thing.

"RGarri7470" wrote in message
Reminds me of the story and picture I posted ast November of a bass

with
19
plastic worms in its stomach

http://fishing.about.com/cs/fishfact.../aa110303a.htm
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old August 24th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Shawn

Warren :

I think prt of it could be what somebody else here has already commented on.
Salt-impregnated soft plastic baits swell over time in water, which probably
would make it harder to pass. Not impossible however, and I'm sure this is
occurring more often than we think and for the most part the baits ARE
eventually getting passed. But if and when a fish eats numerous baits
within a short time period trying to pass all of these as they swell, roll,
and tangle inside the fish's stomach ..... well, it could be a problem.

I'm not in the position to speak with any great deal of authority on this,
as I haven't studied it. I'm just speculating about impacts, and mainly
wanted to report to the group on this interesting observation in Vermont.

But the guy named "John" who has responded a couple times so far seems to
think it's the new "lead shot" issue in aquatics. I personally don't think
it's even close to warranting that level of alarm. If waves of fish start
washing up on lakes around Vermont and the rest of the country stuffed to
the gills with soft plastics, then we should be worrying.

But for now, I think a nice, targeting PSA to the angling community would
suffice. Again, as I said earlier, I think for the most part the angling
community is generally full of well-informed, concerned people who would not
intentionally do anything to harm lakes and rivers and the fish that swim in
them ! However, having said that, some anglers may not realize or take the
time to think about what happens to their used plastics after being tossed
in the lake. I'm sure many people may actually think they just "go away" -
dissolved or breakdown eventually or something - which they don't.

So, just by educating angler groups as to the fate of these baits in the
environment could be a vast improvement and result in a large reduction in
the amount of plastics thrown overboard.

Shawn

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Hi Shawn, thanks for contributing here; Any idea why something as soft &
rounded like a soft plastic grub, worm, etc would not simply pass through

fish's digestive tract? I find it hard to believe that a trout could

digest
a bony crawfish & not have a plastic grub slide right through.

Warren

"Shawn" non@non wrote in message
Budd :

You're right about my point. The fact that many of these trout had

multiple
plastics in their stomach tells me they either aren't passing them at

all,
or are passing them very slowly with much difficultly. So, in the

meantime,
while they're working on getting them out, there's not much room for

actual
food and nutrition. Obviously this isn't going to happen with every

fish
whether it's a bass or trout or something else that swallows a soft

plastic
bait. Most likely only eat one or so and that leaves room for other

good
food while they work on passing the plastic. Fish do eat a number of

nasty
things that can't be digested well such as crayfish claws, pine cones,

snail
shells etc etc, but they are eventually passed. So a trout eating ONE

or
maybe TWO plastic worms might not be a big deal. A trout that finds the
motherload, or develops a taste for garlic and salt (;-) could be in

trouble
in terms of packing it's stomach with undigestable stuff, leaving no

room
for actual food.

Regardless of all the "what if's", I still think it's something anglers

need
to be conscious of, and take care not to just haphazardly throw used

soft
plastics into lakes.

Shawn

"Budd Cochran" wrote in message
I think Shawn's point is that the plastics might cause the fish to not

have
stomach room for normal food and starve to death because of it. I can

see
where it is possible and I'm not even a tree hugger.

Budd

"John" wrote in message
So what?
Is there any thing special with these items?
Is there any demonstrated harm?
Fish have eaten all sort of mankind's refuse in water bodies for
centuries,
so what?
Maybe the plastics have been eaten and passed and eaten and passed

time
and
time again, if so is this a big problem?
The plastics came from stomachs of live fish that were eaten by

humans,
right?
Are the plastics only found in 2-8 pound brown trout?
Are they only found in Vermont's 2,200 acre lake?

Your post raises lots of questions. If this is a "NEW" event

occurring
in
multiple states in multiple water bodies with multiple species there

may
be
a big problem causing loss of fish life or health and forecasting

fishery
declines. If these plastics are just starting to be accumulating in

fish
stomachs, it could forecast issues in years ahead.

Has anyone heard of this quantity happening elsewhere?

John

--
Remove FLY to reply
"Shawn" wrote in message
Budd :

I'm a fisheries biologist with the State of Vermont's Fish &

Wildlife
Department. Last fall and early this spring I received a number

of
calls
about large brown trout (that we stock in a nearby 2,200-acre

lake)
having
very strange grubs or insect larvae in their stomach. Of course,
without
seeing the stomach contents, I couldn't comment on what the trout

might
have
been eating, but I told the anglers to keep the stomachs next time

they
found such things when cleaning their fish. Over the winter

ice-fishing
season, and through this spring, several anglers brought stomachs

from
brown
trout ranging from 2 to 10 pounds into the local baitshop. The

owner
of
the
shop put the stomachs in the freezer, then called me one day this

spring
when he had 8 or 10 stomachs in ziplock bags. I told him to thaw

them
out
and I'd be down in an hour or so.

I brought all my insect guides, minnow guides etc etc - anything I
thought
might help me identify the strange prey these brown trout were

eating.
But,
when I got to the baitshop and picked up the first "grub", I

started
laugh. When I told the baitshop owner it was a "senko", he

immediately
realized I was right and turned red, embarrassed he didn't realize

it
himself right away. Anyways, out of the 10 stomachs I examined

that
day
with the strange "grubs" in them, every one of them turned out to

be
plastic
baits of some sort. One stomach from an 8-pound brown trout had

14
different plastic lures in it, ranging from senkos to tube jigs to
flukes
broken pieces of what looked like plastic worm bits.

Now - this is what I think is happening. I'm also a bass

fisherman,
and
fish in our local Bassmasters club. So, I know how fast bass

fisherman
go
through soft plastics. At the end of a day's fishing, whether for

tournament or just for fun, the floor of my boat and my friends

boats
are
littered with soft plastics that are torn and won't stay on hooks
anymore.
Most ethical fisherman who care about the environment, the lakes

they
fish,
and the fish they're after take those plastics home and dispose of

them
properly. However, I have personally witnessed countless times,
fisherman
tearing off a plastic worm and throwing it into the lake. Maybe
sometimes
the plastics blow out of the bass boats as they tear across the

lake
at
70mph. No matter how these plastics are getting into the lake, I

have
now
seen first hand that trout WILL eat them. Not only do they eat

them
as
they
gently sway and sink to the bottom of an 80-foot deep lake, in my
opinion
they are also being picked up after they've reached the bottom.

Brown
trout
will forage the bottom of lakes, and in the winter under the ice

will
do
so
in very shallow water even. Since seeing the plastics in the

stomachs,
I've
spoken to more and more trout fisherman and I'm finding this is a

much
too
common occurence - alot of the trout fisherman are getting brown

trout
with
plastics in their stomachs in January, February, and March.

Anyone who is familiar with Vermont knows that our bass fishing

season
ends
in November, and that from December to mid-April our lakes are

buried
under
2 to 3 feet of ice, so these plastics being eating by brown trout

are
not
fresh. It could also be that the plastics were picked up by the

trout
in
the previous summer and fall, and haven't been digested or passed.

This
worries me even more since I don't know what the full impact of

bass
fisherman tossing their used plastics into the lake could be on

the
brown
trout.

So - to answer your question - YES trout WILL soft plastic baits,

and
rigging that way for them is likely a hot technique in certain
situations
take them.

But more importantly to the bass fisherman (and all plastic bait

users)
is
DO NOT throw your used plastics in the water. If fish will hit

them
when
they're on your hook, they certainly will hit them and swallow

them
when
they're not !

For work, I will be making a targeted attempt to educate Vermont

anglers
on
this issue. Please spread the word !

Shawn

"Budd Cochran" wrote in message
Greetings from the S.E. Utah desert country.

Spent a few hours yesterday afternoon in the local mountains at

popular
trout lake, Oowah Lake, near my home in Moab, UT. had

considerable
success
in catching 1-3 pound Rainbows on red / white and black / white
spoons,
but
my wife discovered something I though was rather odd.

She rigged up with a small portion of a 6" Senko clone on an old

but
sharp
Aberdeen hook and began getting solid bites. Exposing the hook

point
more
got her five nice trout in about 30 minutes (she doesn't fish a

lot)
before
a big one broke her line.

I changed over to an Eagle Claw Tru-Turn and another chunk of

the
plastic
worm and after 7 more fish ( I caught 10 on spoons) caught the

biggest
'Bow
of the afternoon, about 17 inches long.

Ok, does anybody have any ideas about this? I've never heard of
anything
like this ... Trout on Bass lures. I'm gonna have to try it

again.
VBG

All comments welcome.

Budd

Old August 25th, 2004, 12:34 AM
RichZ

Re swelling plastics. Salt impregnated plastics will swell when submerged
long enough to become water saturated. There was a report some time back
that said they would become 12 times their size, but that has been proven
by several tests (including my own) to be a fallacy. It IS possible for
super-heavily salted baits to swell to nearly double their size though.
(the more salt to dissolve, the more they will swell). Even with more than
8 months of immersion in a test tank, I've never had any quite reach twice
their size.

I would offer a hypothesis that this situation (I hesitate to label it a
problem) is more commonly encountered today because there are more anglers
throwing heavily salted baits. First, they break off the hook on the cast,
hookset or during the battle far more often than traditional plastics, and
2nd, they sink. So there are more chunks of plastic "roaming free" in the
fish's habitat now than when most plastics weren't salted or carried far
less salt. Old style plastics didn't end up in the water unless you broke
off or discarded them there. Senkos and their ilk end up there by accident
all the time. Even when traditional (ie floating) plastic baits were lost
or discarded, they would float and eventually end up against or on the
bank, instead of on the bottom. Fewer of them ere eaten.

As far as their appearing in trout stomachs, I would suspect that corn is a
bigger problem. Corn is commonly used ad bait and as chum in waters where
stocked trout are targeted. I've caught rainbows and browns so full of corn
kernels than they were grotesquely bloated, and they apparently can neither
digest nor easily pass it.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:09 AM
go-bassn

My apologies Shawn, I didn't read the entire article.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Old August 26th, 2004, 01:57 AM
go-bassn

I had a Zoom Lil Critter Craw (a plastic craw that is NOT salt impregnated)
come out of my boat's bilge after God-knows-how-long, and I'd guess it had
swelled to 4x its original size. Who knows what substances it encountered
down there.

It was hideous lol...

Warren

Old August 26th, 2004, 05:15 AM
RichZ

Go-bassn wrote:
Zoom Lil Critter Craw (a plastic craw that is NOT salt impregnated)

If it was a zoom and wasn't a laminated color, it was salt impregnated. Not
to the extent that the yamamoto stuff is, but definitely salty. All zoom's
solid color baits, including the little critter craw, have been for years.

Bilge oil in the mix though, does upset the applecart.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing