VA unfriendly to non-boaters?

Old August 25th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Christopher P. Cericola

Default VA unfriendly to non-boaters?

"Marty" wrote in message
Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you, in
fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't seen
this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so much
of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it.

I have no idea of the reason but it applies to almost every lake in the
area. Some have "acceptable" fishing areas near the boat launch(which, is a
terrible spot) or have piers you can use which are useless. It's rather
disappointing as I've got limited time.

Christopher

Old August 25th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Christopher P. Cericola

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I learned as a little guy to always leave an area cleaner than I found it,
but the simple fact is if people all packed out there own trash I never
would have had to learn that.

I always do that myself. I try to make sure it's in better shape then when
I left it.

Another option for you might be to see if there are some private docks
that you might be able to get permission to fish off of. Maybe offer to
help with some maintenance and offer to share your catch or throw them all
back if the dock owner prefers.

Not enough time available to investiage this.

I would ignore the postings but the parks here are loaded with DNR people
who check licenses as soon as you even walk on the land. If you get near a
bank, they're on you like hounds. They're just following orders and they
have no power to disobey the orders.

Christopher

Old August 25th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Chris Rennert

Growing up in San Diego (though I could have fished the Ocean for free) I
really hated how you could only fish the lakes at certain times of time and
only certain days a week. The thought of a lake being gated (Reservoir)
just blew my mind. So when I moved to Wisconsin and 2 minutes away from
Lake Winnebago and miles upon miles of shoreline accessible from shore, I
was in heaven.
I don't know if (even though I have a boat now) I could live in a place
again where I couldn't get out of work and go to the lake for a couple
hours. I am sorry you are in that situation Chris.

Chris
"Christopher P. Cericola" wrote in message
groups.com...
So far I've found two local lakes within a half an hour both of which have

no bank fishing regulation. One, for sure, offers a pier to fish off of
that is more geared towards little kids wanting to fish for blue gills.

I'm
going to try to find out what the other lake has available, if
anything..renting a boat is not an option because I'm only gonna have an
hour, maybe two.. Ah well.

Christopher

Old August 25th, 2004, 04:56 PM
SimRacer

"Christopher P. Cericola" wrote in message
roups.com...

"Marty" wrote in message
Some of the replies have mentioned trash as a probable reason. Do you,

in
fact, know if this is the reason, or if it is something else? I haven't

seen
this in western NY; sure there are many areas you can't fish because so

much
of it is private property, but I'm unaware of any lakes with a general
no-bank-fishing restriction. I definitely wouldn't take kindly to it.

I have no idea of the reason but it applies to almost every lake in the
area. Some have "acceptable" fishing areas near the boat launch(which, is

terrible spot) or have piers you can use which are useless. It's rather
disappointing as I've got limited time.

Christopher

I fish a lake like this near my home, it is a nuclear plant cooling lake.
The only real places to bank fish it are at a public park where they've put
up a couple of nice piers, and the only two boat ramps on the lake. This is
so because Progress Energy owns all the land abutting the lake and pretty
much no one can get to any other bank areas to use/fish from.

My point to this is there are always someone fishing around these boat ramp
areas and doing ok while doing it. One of them is even a "point" that has a
submerged road bed on one side and a submerged railroad bed on the other
side. So unless you can secure a boat (and I totally understand your
frustration) and you really want to fish those waters, I'd bite the bullet
and give the boat launches a try.

Old August 26th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Marty

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message

I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small

lake
people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
something

As a boatless shore rat, I'm glad YOU'RE not making the rules!!! :-)

Old August 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

I wish we had a no bank fishing reg on my lakes here, everytime a nice
weekend comes along or "Tourist season" in general, there is a ton of
garbage thrown in the lake, even with a garbage can put in at the small lake
people still throw stuff in the water, Like the can might bite them or
something

I know what you mean. Here in my neck of the woods there is an unusual
phenominon. Some lakes are popular with the "slob crowd" and are littered with
all manner of trash and debris, while other lakes, even if heavily used, are
really pretty clean. I have my own theories as to why this is, but it never
fails. There are lakes (and parks, etc.) that the people who use it treat it
like a dump, and those which are used by people who actually care what the
place looks like and kep it clean.

-Zimmy