drop shot Saturday.

Old September 5th, 2004, 04:30 AM
RichZ

Default drop shot Saturday.

Went to East Twin Lake on Saturday. The guy who was supposed to go with me
begged off late Friday so I ended up going alone. Put the boat in the water
at 6. Threw a spinnerbait and ajerkbait for a few minutes, just because it
wasn't quite light yet. Stupid. I knew I was going there to drop shot. Why
did I even bring any other rods? Picked up the DS rod at 6:15. Caguth a two
pounder at 6:20. And a 1-1/2 at 6:25. Both came from 25 feet of water. 6:40
I hooked a big fish and it dragged me across the zebra muscle enctrusted
top of a ridge and pretty much cut itself free. Grabbed the other DS rod
and made another cast. Caught a short. The sun cleared the mountain to my
east a minute later. My next hit was a quarter to 10, when I made another
pass down the stretch of frop-off I started on, 3 hours earlier. Just shy
of five pounds! And then nothing until noon, when I came back to that spot
again. This time though, I caught 8 fish in about 30 minutes. Mostly 1-1/2
to 2-1/2 pounders. And broke off another big fish in the zebra muscles. The
skiers were out by this time, and things were getting dicey. A few minutes
later, a boat load of 20-somethings pulled up about 100 feet away, and just
sat there. After a few minutes, the cloud of smoke that was hovering over
their boat blew my way. I knew I'd better find some place else to fish or
I'd be stoned in short order. Went to a drop-off that SHOULD have been
productive, but hadn't produced anything yet. After about 20 minutes, I
hooked another really heavy fish. And broke it off. #@!$@##$ zebra muscles.
Every break-off, I came back with 3 or 4 feet of shredded line. I actually
had 8 pound on a spare rod, and tried that for quite a while, but never got
bit on it. Went back to the 4 pound and started catching fish. I guess the
bustoffs ate just a fact of life fishing zebra infested waters with real
light line. Really unusual to hook 4 big fish at Twin in one day (a
half-day, actually). I guess I was fortunate to actually get one of the m
in the boat.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Philip Goodwin

"RichZ" wrote in message
Went to East Twin Lake on Saturday.

Snipped a great recap of the day's events

And to think I was going to go to Twin Lakes on Friday. But I am sure I
probably would not have done as well as you did Rich considering I use 8#
test pretty much all the time...lol. How do the weeds produce in that lake
at this time of year anyway? Thanks for the great recap....it sounded like a
good day.

Phil

Old September 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM
RichZ

Philip wrote:
How do the weeds produce in that lake
at this time of year anyway?

Weeds? what weeds? You want weeds, you pretty much gotta go into West Twin.
They killed all the weeds in East Twin. In East Twin, there's a few
patches of tobacco cabbage starting again, and there's lots of areas with
6" tall sand grass carpeting the bottom out to 20" feet, but there's no
real weed fishing per se.

West twin on the other hand, there's pretty much nothing else.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old September 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM
RichZ

4# line, lol. Don't curse the zebras.

Actually, Warren I lied. It was 5 lb test Maxima Fluorocarbon.

(25% stronger than 4 lb test!!!)

I usually use 6 on the DS rods, but needed to spool up, and this was all I
had in the line bin in my office.

But if it wasn't for the zebras, I'd have no qualms about DSing East Twin
with 4 lb line. There's virtually no vegetation, and only a few fallen
trees, none of which reach deep enough to be of interest to me. It's pretty
much wide open territory when you're fighting a fish.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing