Deep Water Part 1

Old November 5th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Illinois Fisherman

Default Deep Water Part 1

I have a 16ft Glastron open bow. I fish more for walleye than bass, but most
of the same tactics work on both species. Comes in handy for staying on the
Little Bay de Noc in spring for the Walleye Opener in May. Dem upper rollers
can be like a rollie coaster, ay der.

"Joshuall" wrote in message
We should hook up next year and say hello. I have a 18'6" Champion. Love
to have you down sometime.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old November 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Joshuall

Have been telling my partner that I'd really like to learn to fish for
walleye's as I've never caught one intentionally. Will trade bass trip for
wally trip next spring. Have you ever fished the Fox up Elgin way? There's a
ramp there just north of I90, but I've never fished there.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old November 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Jeff Durham

Default Deep Water Part 1 (walleye fishing)

To me, walleye fishing is not that different than anything else. In the
spring, it is a good bet that I will catch crappie or walleye using the same
techniques. I would suggest finding a good lake that has walleye. Then
talk to the locals about how the fish and more importantly where and depth.

I use several methods for saugeye (the Ohio version of walleye). In Spring
and Fall, we find them in 8 to 15 feet of water. One method is a slip
bobber with a minnow at various depths. This works for walleye or crappie.
I also use an 1/8 oz. jig with a 2" chartreuse grub and jerk that along or
near the bottom. Sometimes, I put on a small piece of nightcrawler or will
use a minnow in place of the grub. I have not been successful in the
summer, but fishing usually slows down for me then anyway.

Jeff

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
RichG

If you want to drive up to Lake Delavan, WI (right next to Lake Geneva)
during next summer, I'll be glad to take you out. I probably know less than
you about Walleye fishing, but I hear that they drop shot for them a lot.
Lots of walleyes are being caught there, but I certainly don't target them.
Lots of LM and SM bass and Northern to be found, if the W'eyes get boring
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Chris Rennert

RichG, come a little further north and you guys can both go out with me
on Winnebago. It has turned back into a walleye factory, as well as a
pretty good smallie fisherie.

Chris

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:35 PM
RichG

OK with me....I'm at Lake Geneva from late May through early September.
Let's do it!!!

When I was 15 or so, ( now 50 years ago! ) one of my buddies was old enough
to drive. We lived at the very North-western edge of Chicago near Harwood
Heights.....He got his dad's car and we rented a cabin on Butte de Morts. We
caught the heck out of northerns ( added a little gold spinner in front of a
small daredevl) and had a heck of a week. God, what great memories those
were.....RichG
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

. ..

Old November 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Joshuall

Rich . . . yer on. + I'd love to get into the largemout and smallies. My
email address is or thevcmgroup at aol.com. My home phone
number is 815-485-4709. Drop me a note some time and I'll give ya a call.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear