winterizing bass boats

Old November 15th, 2004, 10:41 AM
big fish 2003

Default winterizing bass boats

what all do you guys do to winterize your bass boats? I'm in michigan.

Old November 15th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Richard Liebert

The best way to winterize a bass boat is to load it onto your trailer, drive
it to Florida, and fish all winter.

Old November 15th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"big fish 2003" wrote in message
what all do you guys do to winterize your bass boats? I'm in michigan.

I don't really winterize my boat, preferring to keep it ready for fishing on
the rivers or a quick trip south. But, every fall, I do the following.

Change the lower unit lube.
Shoot some fresh grease into the Bearing Buddies on the trailer, re-pack the
wheel bearings if that hasn't been done in a while.
Clean the boat up, vacuum the carpet, wipe down the hull
Slightly prop open the compartments to allow air circulation
Empty out all the "stuff" that's accumulated.
Make certain that all four batteries are fully charged.

Additional things that could/should be done, that I don't.

Fog the engine.
Add enough fuel to fill the tank and add Stabil (or any other fuel
preservative) to the gas tanks
Bring in all tackle, change line, clean/lube reels, clean the handles on the
rods, check eyes/thread wraps for damage, replace rusted hooks on lures,
re-organize the lures (getting rid of those that didn't produce)
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old November 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Richard Liebert

Well, since you are not going to Florida for the winter I have a few
suggestions too.

I have heard that it is a good idea to loosen all of the drags on your reels
for the winter. I do this.

My local marine dealer suggests leaving very little fuel in the tank,
winterized of course with an addititive, then adding fresh fuel in the
spring. I wonder about condensation, but they say it should not be a
problem. I don't agree.

Also, when you charge your batteries make sure they are filled with water
and don't overcharge them.Check them once per month during the winter.

We start fishing in March, so winter is not too long here, just 3-4 months.

Rick

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old November 15th, 2004, 11:57 PM
go-bassn

I'm with Steve on all points except one - I always add fuel stabilizer to my
fuel before my last trip out. Todays fuels break down quickly & sitting for
a good 3 months or more in these Northern climates, as much as it pains us,
can make for an expensive job when the weather breaks without adding a few
bucks worth of Stabil.

--
Warren

http://www.warrenwolk.com
Http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Old November 16th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Todd Copeland

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...
Fog the engine.
Add enough fuel to fill the tank and add Stabil (or any other fuel
preservative) to the gas tanks

In the days of my 150hp Johnson... I agree with this 100%. As Steve, I never
did the "gasoline" thing during the boats down time. I paid the price each
spring with needing to have all 3 carbs rebuilt. The jets and the like
always clogged up.

I corrected this problem by fishing all "winter" here in Florida and getting
a smaller boat with an 8hp engine

To add an item, you may want to consider giving some of the metal items a
light shot of an marine oil based protectant.