winterizing bass boats

Old November 17th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Steve & Chris Clark

Default winterizing bass boats

.......maybe that'll be a good thing......for her and if I'm lucky I won't
hear about it, hard swallow g give me the blindfold and a last cigarette
;-)
--
Steve

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Lol Steve, if your wife's like mine she'll be reading that in your

outbox...

--
Warren

http://www.warrenwolk.com
Http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com
2004 NJ B.A.S.S. Federation State Champions

Old November 17th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Dale Coleman

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:42:45 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

"big fish 2003" wrote in message
what all do you guys do to winterize your bass boats? I'm in michigan.

I don't really winterize my boat, preferring to keep it ready for fishing on
the rivers or a quick trip south. But, every fall, I do the following.

Change the lower unit lube.
Shoot some fresh grease into the Bearing Buddies on the trailer, re-pack the
wheel bearings if that hasn't been done in a while.
Clean the boat up, vacuum the carpet, wipe down the hull
Slightly prop open the compartments to allow air circulation
Empty out all the "stuff" that's accumulated.
Make certain that all four batteries are fully charged.

Additional things that could/should be done, that I don't.

Fog the engine.

Hi all, we have been using a new technique on Mercruiser EFI engines
that might be worth thinking about for outboards too. Instead of
fogging the engine try using a small 2 1/2 gal outboard tank filled
with gas and outboard oil mixed at 10 to 1. Also add fuel stabilizer
to the mix. Run the engine for 5 min. with this brew and you are done.

This will get the fuel pumps, injectors and top end of the engine
ready for storage in one quick step.

Hope this helps, DC
Add enough fuel to fill the tank and add Stabil (or any other fuel
preservative) to the gas tanks
Bring in all tackle, change line, clean/lube reels, clean the handles on the
rods, check eyes/thread wraps for damage, replace rusted hooks on lures,
re-organize the lures (getting rid of those that didn't produce)

--
Dale Colemam

Old November 17th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Lol Steve, if your wife's like mine she'll be reading that in your
outbox...

Nah, she's got her own computer and doesn't touch mine. Besides, I'm
fortunate that she's really cool with me fishing. As long as the money for
it doesn't come from the household budget.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old November 17th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Bob La Londe

wrote:

[...]

I like the sound of that.

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing

Old November 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
SimRacer

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"SimRacer" wrote in message SNIP

As for tackle removal and cleaning, I do that after every trip. I don't
get
to go out enough, so I have plenty of time for cleanup after each day on
the
water. ;-)

I actually went out and counted the rod/reel combinations that I have in

the
boat. I have 25 rods and reels currently in the boat! There's not enough
time to keep up with all of those, so I have to empty the boat and bring

it
all in.

Wow! 25? My boat ain't even big enough to carry that much stuff...my normal
rod count is 8, two way-too-big tackle bags and a spinnerbait box...and I
thought I had a lot of stuff. lol

The downside to that is now my wife really knows how much stuff I have.
Luckily, she doesn't give me a hard time about that.

Same here. The wife knows that fishing is my therapy, so she doesn't mind
too much the time or money I put into it. She goes out with me about half
the time anyway, she's a pleasant gal for an outdoorsman to be married to, I
admit.

Old November 18th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Shawn

How would you deal with a 4-stroke (115-Honda) ? You wouldn't "fog" a
4-stroke, would you ?

snip

Old November 18th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Dale Coleman

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:10:31 -0500, "Shawn"
wrote:

How would you deal with a 4-stroke (115-Honda) ? You wouldn't "fog" a
4-stroke, would you ?

Hi all, I would think it is even more importaint to try and prepare
the top end of a 4-stroke for storage then a 2-stroke. 4-stroke
engines have very litle if any oil left on the cylinder walls after
the oil control rings wipe it off and can rust very easy. I would
never store a 4-stroke for a long time without doing something.

The sweat deal below is it is very easy to do. If you want to try it
on a carb 4-stroke it might be best to disconect the small gas tank
after the 5 min run and let the engine run out of gas.

Hope this helps, Dale