Boat Trailer Caution

Old December 4th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Richard Liebert

Default Boat Trailer Caution

I was putting my BassTracker Jet away last Sunday evening. Once backed into
the garage and disengaged from my truck hitch I started to position it
manually by pushing on the bow. I assumed this would be a simple task. My
garage floor is very smooth concrete. At one point I was pushing the trailer
in a direction that the trailer jack wheel did not want to follow. Instead
of the wheel coming around (like a shopping cart wheel), the trailer jack
apparently bent, then disengaged momentarily causing the trailer to collapse
onto the top of my left foot crushing a bone. Of course I saw starts,
freaked out a little, no make that a lot, and my wife called 911 (not the
bass club). I am now wearing a knee high cast and hating it.

This probably happened because I once forgot to raise the jack and drove
away. By the time I noticed that I had done this the plastic wheel had
touched down a few times causing some minor flat spots. My guess is that a
flat spot prevent the wheel from turning on the "smooth" concrete whereas
the wheel has always been fine on the rough surface of my driveway. This was
my fault, I just didn't know any better.

I guess I am partially venting here in the NG because I'm more or less stuck
in front of the computer with little else to do right now.

Anyway, those of you with entry level boat trailers like mine ought to take
a good look at your trailer jacks and consider upgrading, especially if your
jack wheel has any flat spots on it..

Please don't send flowers. Donate LM fingerlings to Van Sciver Lake in PA if
you must.

Old December 4th, 2004, 01:27 PM
RichG

I've had this problem all along. I do not believe that my wheel has any flat
spots in it, so this answer may not apply to your situation.

My solution is to turn the wheel in the direction that I am going BEFORE
pushing the boat. Now, how do I do that, one might ask?? Well, I carry a
cut-off golfer's old 9 iron in the tube opening at the top of the winch
riser-post. It has the head, but no grip. The head is big enough so that it
doesn't slide down into the tube opening.

I slide the club's shaft into the -U-shaped area that supports the jack's
wheel, and turn the wheel with the added leverage. It has made moving the
boat around a much easier job. Any piece of strong steel that will fit will
do the same job.

Incidentally, I noticed that a large manufacturer of trailer jacks has come
out with a nut-supported jack. It replaces the "folding stowable style" that
uses a "spring ring" to hold everything together. It is advertised as "the
sturdiest jack" or some-such. Perhaps yours is not the only collapse that
has occurred on certain style jacks.

Sorry to hear that you are laid up.
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
..

Old December 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Andrew Kidd

"Richard Liebert" wrote in message
I was putting my BassTracker Jet away last Sunday evening. Once backed into
the garage and disengaged from my truck hitch I started to position it

Painful story snipped

I guess I am partially venting here in the NG because I'm more or less
stuck
in front of the computer with little else to do right now.

Anyway, those of you with entry level boat trailers like mine ought to
take
a good look at your trailer jacks and consider upgrading, especially if
your
jack wheel has any flat spots on it..

Richard,
Sorry to hear about your injury. To be honest, I have feared this exact
same thing happening from the first time I purchased a boat on a trailer. I
have pushed my boat into the garge by hand every time I've used it, since
the first trip out, some 12 years ago.
What I do (which is a bit immaterial for you now), is start the boat
moving in whatever direction the trailer jack tire is pointed. I usuall try
to point it in the direction I'm going to be headed when I drop it to the
ground. It's a little like steering on a vehicle. If you're moving, even a
little bit, it will usually go where you want it to with a little less
force. It sounds like your problem definitely had something to do with the
flat spots on the bottom of the wheel. But another thing to consider is
regular lubrication of the jack's shaft and rotating surfaces. On my old
boat, it became very tough to move (or to get to turn on it's wheel). I
hooked it up to the truck, and took the jack apart, cleaned it , lubricated,
and re-assembled. It worked like brand new.

Best of luck as your injuries heal. I cringe just thinking about the pain
that must have caused. I try as hard as I can to keep my feet out from
under the boat tongue, but it often happens anyway when you're tugging a
bass boat around by yourself!
--
Andrew Kidd

Old December 4th, 2004, 09:54 PM
go-bassn

Hope you feel better Richard!

My donations to Van Sciver Lake are finished, I'm gonna spend my time
somewhere where the fishing's good & the place doesn't stink like PWC. Too
bad you weren't there 30 years ago, it was really nice.

Warren

Old December 5th, 2004, 01:19 AM
John Kerr

Geez, that hurt just reading about it! Heal fast Richard.
John

Old December 5th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Richard Liebert

Warren:

"Donate LM fingerlings to Van Sciver Lake "

You're right, we need em'.

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Hope you feel better Richard!

My donations to Van Sciver Lake are finished, I'm gonna spend my time
somewhere where the fishing's good & the place doesn't stink like PWC.

Too
bad you weren't there 30 years ago, it was really nice.

Warren

"Richard Liebert" wrote in

message