Tow Vehicle Features Needs and Wants

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Chuck Coger

Default Tow Vehicle Features Needs and Wants

I am going to take some of my free time and really rate a few of the tow
vehicles available on the market today. I am going down to the dealer and
see if they will let me test drive a few with my boat on the back.

Before I get too far though I wanted some input from the group on exactly
what you look for in a tow vehicle. Once I get a good list I will work on
getting them rated in order of importance via a poll.

So what are they in these catagories?

#Necessary Features

#Wanted Features

#Dream Features (future developments or recomendations)

Once I get this done we can post it on the ROFB faq page as well.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

Old November 4th, 2003, 02:48 AM
John Kerr

I want all the guages to read the same whether I have the boat behind me
or not. I want it to pull my boat up a gravel launch ramp wihout "sand
blasting" my boat with gravel. When I have to "panic" stop for any
reason, I don't want to have to stop and think, "I have a boat behind
me" first. I want my preventitive maintenance to be within 90% of what
it would be without the "tow" time. But first and foremost....I want
people to stop and say...."Nice Truck"! big grin

Oh....I drive a Ford...and love it! g

JK

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Jerry \NervisRek\ Barton

If you decide on a Ford,and need and "X" plan (Friends & Neighbors)
discount number, let me know and I'll get you one. Saves you about 4%
less than employees "A" plan. Always ask a sales person what the
discount will do for you.
--
Jerry Barton
www.jerrys-world.com

. com...

Old November 4th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Charles B. Summers

Not... "Hey, that thing gotta hemi?"

"Sweet..."

"John Kerr" wrote in message
But first and foremost....I want
people to stop and say...."Nice Truck"! big grin

Oh....I drive a Ford...and love it! g

JK

I'm a Ford man myself! Gotta love em.

Old November 4th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Eric Ryder

"Chuck Coger" wrote in message
. com...
I am going to take some of my free time and really rate a few of the tow
vehicles available on the market today. I am going down to the dealer and
see if they will let me test drive a few with my boat on the back.

Before I get too far though I wanted some input from the group on exactly
what you look for in a tow vehicle. Once I get a good list I will work on
getting them rated in order of importance via a poll.

So what are they in these catagories?

#Necessary Features

#Wanted Features

#Dream Features (future developments or recomendations)

Once I get this done we can post it on the ROFB faq page as well.

---
Chuck Coger
http://www.fishin-pro.com

I got most of these when I ordered the present one to yank my 18' glass
boat, none are optional:

Big V-8 (next one's diesel)
auto trans w/ cooler
5000# rated hitch - I have the swing/extend tube for it, handy item for
gravel drives.
long wheelbase - this extended cab, shortbox Chebby is way safer than the
old Bronco ever was
4WD, fairly aggressive LT tires
heavy duty mudflaps
accessory rear lights
I recently fished the wiring for inertial brake controller and for trailer
brakes - next time I'll get it built in.

Old November 4th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Chuck Coger" wrote in message
. com...
I am going to take some of my free time and really rate a few of the tow
vehicles available on the market today. I am going down to the dealer and
see if they will let me test drive a few with my boat on the back.

Before I get too far though I wanted some input from the group on exactly
what you look for in a tow vehicle. Once I get a good list I will work on
getting them rated in order of importance via a poll.

So what are they in these catagories?

#Necessary Features

***Adequate power and torgue (300 hp, 500 lb/ft torque), Auto transmission with cooler, ability to
seat 4 adults comfortably, decent fuel economy, 4 wheel drive, some cargo carrying capacity, cruise
control, decent stereo, power mirrors, a good brushguard and great looks.

#Wanted Features

***All of the above plus, 4 wheel steering, seat covers that are water/stain proof, more cab room,
remote starting, rear window defroster, heated side mirrors.

#Dream Features (future developments or recomendations)

***All I want is a Chevy Suburban with a Duramax Diesel/Allison transmission, well then as long as
we're dreaming, lets add a HyperTech Power Chip, Exhaust Braking, 4" performance exhaust, K&N Air
Flow system, 3" lift kit, 36" Off-Road tires, a "Deer Proof" brush guard with integrated winch, then
camoflague the whole thing!!! I'm not asking for much, am I?
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old November 4th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles B. Summers" (Comcast) wrote in message
What?? No Flow Master Exhaust or winch? LOL

Charles! Read through the Dream Features again.......

Old November 19th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Rich Conley

Just kinda curious as to why you guys all suggest automatic transmissions.

(Our current tow vehicle is a Ford Econoline 350 Diesel Van. Its a stick.)