I'm DONE! I think...... (Kinda OT)

Old November 10th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Calif Bill

Default I'm DONE! I think...... (Kinda OT)

This was the summers. He said they could not drive the snow cats, as the
tracks would break. Just left them running. Winter was a little colder.
He said the Russian station next door recorded the coldest ever natural low
in the world. The Alcohol thermometer froze at -125 degrees below zero. I
think F.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
My brother spent 3 summers at Antarctica. He said they had -50 temps

and
high winds storms. Did not go outside during these days. Just cranked

up
the reactor a little.
Bill

About 8 or 10 years ago, we had an absolutely brutal winter. In December

it snowed every day, total
snowfall for the season that year was 254 inches. In January, it never

got above 0, with nights
falling to an average of -30. One night we had air temps (no wind chill)

of -48. So I do
understand not wanting to go outside then. I used to run outside in my

shirtsleeves to start the
truck, then run back in, have a cup of coffee and wait for the truck to

"warm" up.

Towards the end of the month, I went out to start the truck and thought,

"Hmmm, it really warmed up
overnight." So, in shirtsleeves, I swept snow off the truck, off the deck

and filled 3 bird
feeders. It didn't feel bad outside at all. Once inside, I looked at the

thermometer, it still
read -10!!! When -10 feels "not bad", you know it's been a long, COLD

winter. I hope for Dan's
sake, we don't have another winter like that!
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old November 11th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Nikolay

Default Thawing guides and line

Hi gang,

I have a question for you Northerners (and anyone else who knows :-).
How do you thaw frozen guides/line when fishing?
In case I gather enough courage to go fishing this
winter ... Still not so cold here in MA, but we're quickly getting there.

Thanks,
Nikolay

Take 10 casts, un-thaw the guides. Another 10 casts, un-that again.

Old November 11th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Andrew Kidd

Hi Nikolay,
It has been my experience that if you just stick the rod into the water
for a few seconds and swish it around, you will thaw out the eyelets pretty
quickly...

--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

s.edu...

Old November 11th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Bob Rickard

What most ice fishermen do is keep their line warm before they start, by
holding it in their mouth with their worms.

--
Bob Rickard
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old November 11th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Joe

I have had good luck with spraying the guides with silicon. Works for a few
hours usually.
Joe Z.

Old November 11th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Nikolay

LOL Bob! So that's why they don't use leeches ...

Old November 14th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Gone Angling

There is always a silver lining to every cloud. Off season there is usually
some excellent clearance items at Walmart. Today i scooped up a plentiful
supply of treble hooks. I've lost hooks to bass/salmon/pike. The fun derived
from fishing gear is in exponential proportions (in $ terms) and it is even
better when the gear is bought for clearance prices.

Old November 14th, 2003, 03:27 AM
J Buck

The fun derived from fishing gear is in exponential proportions (in $
terms) and it is even better when the gear is bought for clearance
prices

That's what I was tryin' to tell you about that L.L. Bean shirt!