Beginner Questions

Old May 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Robert11[_2_]

Default Beginner Questions

Hello,

Three real beginner questions, please:

a. when and where do you folks like to use that Power-Bait moldable stuff
(or the chunks) ?
Would you use it on a bare hook, or as an "adjunct" on some type of rig ?

b. Do ypou like to use a trailer, such as a power-bait crawdad, or such, on
a "jig" that also has marabou like feathers ? Or, is this a bit "much" ?

c. How do you fish a "jig" ? Only vertically, or cast and retrieve, or... ?

Thanks,
B.
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
family-outdoors

On May 14, 1:34*pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Three real beginner questions, please:

a. *when and where do you folks like to use that Power-Bait moldable stuff
(or the chunks) ?
Would you use it on a bare hook, or as an "adjunct" on some type of rig ?

b. Do ypou like to use a trailer, such as a power-bait crawdad, or such, on
a "jig" that also has marabou like feathers ? *Or, is this a bit "much" ?

c. How do you fish a "jig" ? *Only vertically, or cast and retrieve, or.... ?

Thanks,
B.

a. Never for bass. Use it occasionally trout fishing (sorry for
saying trout)
b. I don't use a trailer with a maribou jig and I have caught bass on
maribou's but not the go to bait for bass
c. Depends on what type of jig and where you are fishing and what
for. With a maribou or soft plastic jig...try different retrieves.
Seems like it's always something different.

Have you considered plastic worms on a texas rig.. Easy starter rig
and almost always effective if fish around. Try various colors,
sizes, and scents/brands. Fish very slow and try weighted and
unweighted. Fish brushy cover areas or if from boat cast to
shore...often will receive bight nearly immediately on cast. Often
fish will swim with bait briefly and you'll just have to get
experienced on when to set hook. If you need assistance on how to rig
ask on this forum or do a search. You'll find a lot on internet on it
or like a say...just give a shout for more help on here.
_____________________
family-outdoors
www.family-outdoors.com
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Family-Outdoors" wrote in message
On May 14, 1:34 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Three real beginner questions, please:

a. when and where do you folks like to use that Power-Bait moldable stuff
(or the chunks) ?
Would you use it on a bare hook, or as an "adjunct" on some type of rig ?

I haven't caught many bass on any kind of food bait except nightcrawlers and
minnows.

b. Do ypou like to use a trailer, such as a power-bait crawdad, or such,
on
a "jig" that also has marabou like feathers ? Or, is this a bit "much" ?

I do use maribou jigs once in a while for crappie or bluegill... Never fish
them with a trailer, but I certainly like a bare white or black jig with a
matching twister tail for white bass.

c. How do you fish a "jig" ? Only vertically, or cast and retrieve, or...
?

Usually I pitch to targets and let it fall vertically, then I'll either
hop/drag it or swim it back to the boat depending on whether I think the
fish are aggressively chasing bait fish or rooting out craws. Most bass
will hit it on the initial fall. Occasionally, I'll get into a smallmouth
bite in current where they prefer it swimming more than anything.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Cheeky Bastard

I didn't know SteveB was Chinese or Korean. grin

PS. I make my own powerbait for trout.

CB

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
I R AN IDIOT

"SteveB" wrote in message
Quarter sticks of TNT work good. C4 when it's available.

Heck, plain old pipe bomb with water proof fuse. Just make sure to test the
burn rate of the fuse before using.

HTH

Steve