Some great upper Michigan streams

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Some great upper Michigan streams

Hey gang I was thinking of planning this neat trip....I know these
streams quite well!

Here is some basic information on these streams:

1. Paint River - fantastic fishing from Cooks run confluence up to
Paint Forks campground. If you head downstream from there you wil be
running into warmer water. The higher fish per mile numbers are in
Cooks Run and the upper regions.

2. Middle Branch Ontanogan - the section from Bond Falls downstream to
highway 28 is excellen and considered on of Michigans best trout
streams.

3. the Carp River - The little Carp and Big Carp have excellent brooki
action and nice fall and spring steelhead runs as well! They are only a
few miles hike from the Presque Isle River campground on the west side
of the park.

All streams are in the western Upper Peninsula. Here is a basic map:

http://cheas.psu.edu/fieldsites/sylv...map_ottawa.jpg

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"HopperHatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You have GOT to be joking......right? I mean, there hasn't been a live fish
in any of those streams for a century or more. If I was you, I'd save a lot
of money and fish in my own back yard.......say, maybe somewhere on the WEST
BOULDER RIVER.

Wolfgang
fish....in the u.p....hee, hee, hee.

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

no, the **Paint River** upstream from Paint Forks Campground** , just
north of **U.S. 2** and **west of Crystal Falls** is the place to
be.

The last fish count had many hundreds of trout per stream mile.

Also be sure to fish the fantastic runs on the *middle brnach
ontanogan(sp)** downstream from **Bond Falls** and **south of M28.**

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"HopperHatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
no, the **Paint River** upstream from Paint Forks Campground** , just
north of **U.S. 2** and **west of Crystal Falls** is the place to
be.

The last fish count had many hundreds of trout per stream mile.

Nope. No fish there. The flies ate 'em all. Ask Jeff.

Also be sure to fish the fantastic runs on the *middle brnach
ontanogan(sp)** downstream from **Bond Falls** and **south of M28.**

Pretty falls. Not nearly as good as Agate, though.

Anyway, it's a good thing you didn't mention the Sturgeon, the east branch
of the Ontonagon, the west branch of the Ontanogon, the Cisco branch of the
Ontonagon, the main branch of the Ontonagon, The Two Hearted, the Fox, the
Whitefish, the Yellow Dog, the Huron, the Firesteel, the Brule, the Presque
Isle, the Black, the St. Louis, the Bois Brule, the Escanaba, the
Manistique, the Montreal, the Fence, the Net, the Perch, the Jumbo, the
Baltimore, the Onion, the other Sturgeon, the OTHER other Sturgeon, the
Potato, the Flat Rock, Trout Creek, Beaver Creek, the Peshekee, the Salmon
Trout, Clear Creek, the Slate, Barnhardt Creek, the Elm, the East Sleeping,
the Otter, Silver Creek, the other Salmon Trout, the Tobacco, the Chocolay,
Twomile Creek, the Ford, Werners Creek, the Rapid, the Tacoosh, the Days,
the Iron, Iron Creek, the Indian, Stutts Creek, the Driggs, Duck Creek, the
other Duck Creek, the Deerskin, the Tahquamenon or......um......oh yeah, the
OTHER other other Surgeon, because those really ARE secret, and if you did,
we'd probably have to kill you.

Wolfgang
who supposes congratulations are in order. after all, it ain't everybody
who can make the dumbass hall of fame in a single day.

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Put the bottle down, Wolfgang.

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/7/06 4:35 PM, in article , "Wolfgang"
wrote:

Anyway, it's a good thing you didn't mention the Sturgeon, the east branch
of the Ontonagon,

snip!

Just for gosh sakes, don't tell him about the SECRET FLY!

It'd really be the end if that kind of information got out.

Bill

Old March 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

HopperHatch wrote:

Hey gang I was thinking of planning this neat trip....I know these
streams quite well!

Mr. Hatch:

First off, there have been several neat trips by frequent and
infrequent posters to the group involving the UP.

Second, we are planning a little get together in the UP come
Septemeber, I need someone to help flush grouse as my dog is rather
useless for this task, interested?

Thirdly, while the streams you mentioned are no secret and in the
internet age it is tough to keep such, Maybe stick with just the names
and general area relative to surrounding towns. At the rate you're
going, you'll be posting gps coordinates to the third bend pool behind
the sweeper on the fourth rock where the non Canadian brook trout of a
life time resides. And this would be in bad manners.

Fouthly, son you may be the number one guy in your class on a fast
track for fame and fortune, but when you get out in the world as you do
on this board you're gonna meet a lot of people in their own way and
field are going to make you look like you spent your first 20 years
getting raised by wolved then dumped into "egotistical engineers r us
convention" where you become the village idiot.

Lastly if you make your trip and see some fat guy with a white suv
making some skinny short guy drool while the fat guy makes him beg for
a cane rod, with some tall bearded guy bitching about olives and
mosquitoes while a shorter bearded guy making like "who gives a f$%^
about olives" and cane....that would be us, stop and say hello.

Wayne
If you're up for the Second item, do you retrieve too?

Old March 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 7 Mar 2006 12:40:36 -0800, "HopperHatch"
wrote:

no, the **Paint River** upstream from Paint Forks Campground** , just
north of **U.S. 2** and **west of Crystal Falls** is the place to
be.

The last fish count had many hundreds of trout per stream mile.

Also be sure to fish the fantastic runs on the *middle brnach
ontanogan(sp)** downstream from **Bond Falls** and **south of M28.**

Here's a link.

http://www.crystalfalls.org/trout.htm

g.c.

Who would be surprised if the river sees a single additional visitor
because of this link being posted here, just as the SMMSSL probably
wouldn't have seen a single additional user because of the earlier
thread until it got blown out of proportion. And it probably still
won't.
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote:

Anyway, it's a good thing you didn't mention the Sturgeon, the east
branch
of the Ontonagon,

snip!

Just for gosh sakes, don't tell him about the SECRET FLY!

It'd really be the end if that kind of information got out.

Do not fear......it will never PASS my lips.....even if they torture my by
dunking me in the LAKE.

Wolfgang