I never catch anything

Old November 15th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Greg LaPorta

Default I never catch anything

How is it that I hear about all of u catching fish and i see pics, but really,
i catch mybe one fish ewvery week if i got out 3 times a week, sometimes i
catch none. I havent even caught a salmon or brown yet. I go to the right
spots....use a variety of things, and it never works. Ive been fishing for a
few years now, and it sucks how i go out every night and neve catch a thing.
Ive been to oatka creek once (some of you may have heard of it)...and i saw
trout surface a bunch of times, and didnt catch one of them. Is it the flies
im using/ I recently started to fly fish, so as most of u can tell im still
clueless on a lot of aspects of it. please help me out here...what am i doing
wrong!!!

----
Greg

"Dont Lose the dreams inside your head, theyre only there until your dead"--
DMB

Old November 15th, 2003, 04:40 PM
@(Peter A. Collin)rochester.rr.com

Greg LaPorta wrote:

[...]

Oatka is a lousey place for beginners. Those are very educated fish,
and are never easy under the best of circumstances. Perhaps if you want
temporary respite, follow a stocking truck! In the long run, it is best
to do like I did - when I moved to western NY 10 years ago, i would
watch the guys who were catching them, and try to figure out what they
were doing. If it wasn't obvious, I would make friends with them,
leading to much more than catching a fish!

Pete Collin

Old November 15th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Greg LaPorta

how do u know when the fish are being stocked?

----

Old November 16th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Greg LaPorta wrote:

how do u know when the fish are being stocked?

----
Greg

"Dont Lose the dreams inside your head, theyre only there until your dead"--
DMB

Call the DEC in Avon.

Old November 17th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Scott Seidman

(Greg LaPorta) wrote in
:

How is it that I hear about all of u catching fish and i see pics, but
really, i catch mybe one fish ewvery week if i got out 3 times a week,
sometimes i catch none. I havent even caught a salmon or brown yet.
I go to the right spots....use a variety of things, and it never
works. Ive been fishing for a few years now, and it sucks how i go

(some of you may have heard of it)...and i saw trout surface a bunch
of times, and didnt catch one of them. Is it the flies im using/ I
recently started to fly fish, so as most of u can tell im still
clueless on a lot of aspects of it. please help me out here...what am
i doing wrong!!!

----
Greg

"Dont Lose the dreams inside your head, theyre only there until your
dead"-- DMB

Just a small aside-- you might not have noticed, but we really try not to
post the names of small creeks that can't take much fishing pressure on
ROFF. We go to extreme measures to avoid it, in fact.

Parts of that water are stocked, and parts are not. There are some
impassable barriers so most stockies can't get through. Stocking is
upstream, usually takes place just before or just after opening day
there, depending on how high the water is, and there is a stocking later
in the season as well, around the end of April I think. The DEC swears
that every two year old they stock is caught and kept within about two
days after they are put in, but I don't believe them. The stockies are
easy to catch, and the fishing can stay good for about three weeks after
stocking, if the water doesn't get real low and warm.

As for the stream-bred trout, they are tough to catch, but not as tough
as some of the other local waters! It did take me a season to catch my
first fish there, and about five years to be able to catch fish with any
sense of regularity on that non-stocked water, and I can still get
skunked every now and again. This isn't the best time of year to be
fishing that water, anyhow. Most people concentrate on the big guys this
time of year.

What I would recommend, if you want to speed up your learning curve, is
to call Coleman's, Up the Creek, or the Panorama Outfitters Orvis shop,
and hire out a guide for the day. Tell them you're a beginner. You
might or might not catch fish with a guide, but the lesson will be worth
the $150, and don't forget to tip!! All the shops in the area have on
stream schools, as well.

Some might disagree, but I think a knowledge of the local hatches are
essential over there, and you should learn some of the favorite local
immitations. There is a hatch chart online at the Panorama Outfitters
site (that's our Orvis store). I think Coleman's probably has the best
collection of local ties, but every store in the area does pretty well.
FWIW, my fishing turned around after taking Coleman's advanced fly tying
course, because it taught me a huge amount about the local insects.

Scott