Do rag worms bite?

Old November 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
PhilG

Default Do rag worms bite?

I have also had ragworm that were big enough so that the pinchers go
through
my thumb nail and draw blood, OUCHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Holy Allah!

How big is "big enough" just out of interest?

This beastie was over ONE FOOT long as as thick as my thumb, a big beastie.
I have also some ragworm that in a tray in my local tackle shop that reared
up like a cobra, scary stuff!

A trick that I have learnt when you are going to handle rag is to put some
sand, if you can, on your fingers, that way you can grip the beggars better!

David

Old November 16th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Derek

"david" wrote in message
I was handling ragworms for the second time in my life today. Nasty vile
little creatures that put a shiver up my spine. A few very big ones ,

must
have been a foot if they were two inches, had very large orifices and I'm
sure I felt thyem try to bite me. Could they?

David

Yep I agree with the other posts an occasional nip is worth it for a class
bait, mind you I have my mate Chris freaked out when bait digging he insists
on a glove for the bigguns just grab em quick behind the head and you are
sound
Derek

---

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Derek

That brings me onto nother point...where do I dig for rag worms?

Davd
that would be telling wouldn't it ...........pretty much the same as lug
middle to lower intertidal zones but I had more luck in the muddy sand round
harbours and estuaries Llanbedrog beach has its share
http://www.worldseafishing.com/baits/digging.shtml
seems about right- must buy that guy a beer. Intrigued by this pump method
for Lug could save me old back some wear and tear
Derek

---

Old November 19th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , Derek
wrote:
That brings me onto nother point...where do I dig for rag worms?

You were fishing at baiter the other day. How do you think it got its name?

that would be telling wouldn't it ...........pretty much the same as lug
middle to lower intertidal zones but I had more luck in the muddy sand round
harbours and estuaries Llanbedrog beach has its share
http://www.worldseafishing.com/baits/digging.shtml
seems about right- must buy that guy a beer. Intrigued by this pump method
for Lug could save me old back some wear and tear

The pump only works for black lug and David will only find blow in his area.

I find rag mostly inhabit the slightly grittier stuff. I'm sure they're
between the stones where a fork will not go too. Like everything else look
for the food. If there's plenty of small stuff for the ragworm to eat
they'll be somewhere close by.

And never mix rag and lug in the bucket or the rag will kill the lug - and
then die themselves in the resulting mess.

Cheerio,